If Boston loses to Florida, SHOULD they blow it up?

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
A winger, a goalie and a 1b. I'm also not a guy who thinks McAvoy is a top 5 D - his play is okay in the post-season but not nearly enough. He's not in the Makar, Fox, Hedman, Heiskanen tier to me.

One or two signings like say, Elias Lindholm, don't put you guys back into contention. There's nothing serious in the pipeline coming to help. The Bruins failure over the past decade has been directly related to not having the top end playmaking it takes to win it all, via poor drafting or poor trades.

A piece or two away? Good luck.

Another thing that needs to be said about their regular season accomplishments and I say this as a long time Devils fan who watched a similar team post lockout and post-Niedermayer: the system and the culture get you through the season but it's not enough come playoff time. You need more gamebreaking offensive talent to keep going on and having a top 2 sniper is not enough. They don't have that Kucherov, Kane, Eichel, etc. and most cup winners have that guy, except the Blues who had solid scorers throughout the lineup in Steen, Thomas, Perron, etc. It's not a surprise their only cup came with a historic performance by Thomas. Swayman was the only reason they were still in this one.

And about that record-breaking season a year prior: it was a great accomplishment but it's tempered by the fact that a post-COVID cap constricted other competitive teams (who didn't get sweetheart deals from their core guys), 1/2 the league was aging out and also in cap trouble (PIT, WAS, etc) and the other half was too young with lost development time / still rebuilding, particularly in that Atlantic division where there were a lot of layup games (BUF, OTT, MTL, DET). They caught the right moment in history to do something epic but they were not actually a great team and it's not a surprise they choked it away.

You don't have to believe me. It's going to play out this way. You've seen it before in Calgary, Minnesota, Nashville, now Winnipeg, etc. Those fans also told me how they'd re-tool and build around what was left.
They lost due to Bergeron and Ullmark injuries last 2 RS Games. Those 2 healthy and that Fla series ends in 5. Vegas and Boston a coin flip.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
They won't be a contender again until they find a true #1 D like Chara was for them. McAvoy is the Marner of defense. Great regular season player, can't be relied on once the playoffs start. Was the worst Bruin on the ice in the Leafs series as well.

Trade McAvoy for a top 30 C, sign Lindholm and then trade the farm + Ullmark for the best dman you can get.
  • McAvoy #8 -10 D.
Should give u #15-17 top C plus a 2nd rd.

Last edited:

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
They won't be a contender again until they find a true #1 D like Chara was for them. McAvoy is the Marner of defense. Great regular season player, can't be relied on once the playoffs start. Was the worst Bruin on the ice in the Leafs series as well.

Trade McAvoy for a top 30 C, sign Lindholm and then trade the farm + Ullmark for the best dman you can get.
Spoken like a dyed in the wool true leafs fan, this is the anthesis of their management style.

Cheeks getting lot heat considering he was carrying this team defensively, if his metrics were bad it’s because he was playing solo against every teams top line. You don’t trade cheeks, you build around him, but you leaf fans wouldn’t know defense if it bit you in the ass.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
"There's no reason to blow it up. All we need is a #1C" - Boston Fans in here

Where do you think #1 centers come from? lol

Except for Buffalo trading away 2 in the last 6 years #1c centers are basically never moved.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Anyone legitimately suggesting to trade McAvoy should be banned from this site imo.
If anyone is dumb enough to want to trade McAvoy call JBB. HE has some studs to offer you such as Cirelli and Cernak plus your choice of Sheary, Jeannott, and Perbix to throw in.
Cirelli+Cernak + forMcAvoy
Yes I know this isn't even going to happen, because McAvoy is a true number one defenseman.

Reactions: Fatass

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
If anyone is dumb enough to want to trade McAvoy call JBB. HE has some studs to offer you such as Cirelli and Cernak plus your choice of Sheary, Jeannott, and Perbix to throw in.
Cirelli+Cernak + forMcAvoy
Yes I know this isn't even going to happen, because McAvoy is a true number one defenseman.
Point for McAvoy?

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
As a Habs fan, I hope they try to extend their current run with quick fixes and giving big contracts to guys like Lindholm
Bruins have been retooling on the fly over and over through the years.. They never really go full rebuild, their core pieces.now like Pasta, McAvoy and Swayman really don't warrant a full rebuild. They need a few key pieces and should stay a playoff caliber team.

Imo the Bruins will go for Lindholm. 8.5 x 7.
I think you'll see the Bruins pursue Stephenson before they throw a massive offer at Lindholm. He seems to fit the Bruins mold more than EL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad