Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] G Filip Larsson signs with the Penguins (2 years, $775k AAV, two-way)

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He was a very talented kid, who went from being very highly thought of in Detroit, to back in Sweden very quickly, after turning Pro. This after a great year in college (Denver) and also a great USHL season. He wasn’t new to the NA game.

He just couldn’t adjust to Pro hockey. He struggled so badly in Grand Rapids, they simply couldn’t put him out there anymore. He was that bad, and finished his 1st season in the ECHL before being loaned back to Sweden, and eventually Detroit not qualifying him again.

Perfect example of a kid going Pro way to early. Nobody should be surprised though, if he returns to NA and makes a name for himself.

The talent is there. Just maybe the maturity wasn’t a few years ago. He was likely always going to get this second chance. I think even Detroit would tell you that. In fact, I think they would’ve been interested under the right circumstance. They know him better than anyone. That time has likely passed though.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's the Penguins. Was in their FB 10 min ago.

With Blomqvist likely going to the NHL and Gauthier going to WBS more permanently (I imagine), they need a WBS backup or a ECHL starter.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
It's the Penguins. Was in their FB 10 min ago.

With Blomqvist likely going to the NHL and Gauthier going to WBS more permanently (I imagine), they need a WBS backup or a ECHL starter.

Gives them options. Could see them bringing in a vet that keeps Blomqvist in WBS or equally bringing in a vet who Blomqvist can beat out and who they can put in the AHL.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Gives them options. Could see them bringing in a vet that keeps Blomqvist in WBS or equally bringing in a vet who Blomqvist can beat out and who they can put in the AHL.
Agreed. As I said in our forum, I think grabbing a journeyman goalie like Domingue (or similar) to go with Gauthier is smart just in case Blomqvist doesn't impress or if there are injuries.

Reactions: TS Quint

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Agreed. As I said in our forum, I think grabbing a journeyman goalie like Domingue (or similar) to go with Gauthier is smart just in case Blomqvist doesn't impress or if there are injuries.

I'd think they want Larsson to be that goalie. I'd be surprised if Larsson left a starting goalie gig in the SHL to be a AHL backup/ECHL starter.

I assume he'll be fighting with Blomqvist for NHL backup/AHL starter.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I'd think they want Larsson to be that goalie. I'd be surprised if Larsson left a starting goalie gig in the SHL to be a AHL backup/ECHL starter.

I assume he'll be fighting with Blomqvist for NHL backup/AHL starter.
SHL? BFD! That job is there whenever he wants it.

Christien

May 1, 2010
This is awesome. Great to see him claw his way back - I hope it works out for him

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Maybe you want to outroot your life for a minor upgrade in paycheck, but most people don't.
Wrong. It's called opportunity and yes when it's your dream you chase it. SHL is his floor. He has the rest of his life to live at home.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Wrong. It's called opportunity and yes when it's your dream you chase it. SHL is his floor. He has the rest of his life to live at home.

Ahh yes, most people are glad to uproot their life for a position that is at best as good as they had and potentially worse.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Ahh yes, most people are glad to uproot their life for a position that is at best as good as they had and potentially worse.
Why do you think he has a $400k AHL salary? It's because that's his expectation to play there.

Reactions: Jacob

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Wagers: 2