Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 95 6.1%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 19.8%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 28.7%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 277 17.8%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 20 1.3%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.4%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 188 12.1%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 183 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I don't think many here have had actual migraines. Bad headaches yes but migraines are a different level.

Remember Eddie George in the SuperBowl?

Anyway, if you've had a migraine before you can understand how literally drilling a hole into your skull might sound like a good idea back in the day.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Edmonton has scored 18 goals in 4 games, the Leafs have scored 7 goals in 4 games.

You think goaltending is the issue?? lol
There can be multiple issues.

Samsonov's play is exactly what I expected. Uninspiring, inconsistent, and likely gives their skaters very little faith behind them. Youre crazy if you don't think how a teams goalie is playing will effect how their players play. Every shot thrown at Samsonov they're thinking there is a chance it goes in.

Reactions: Summer Rose

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Edmonton just won 1-0 after being outshot by 20.

Crazy that you can win goals with 1 goal. Samsonov allows 1 bad goal minimum per game which makes that impossible for the Leafs though.
It can happen but if you are relying on winning games in the playoffs 1-0 you better be spending 11M on a great goalie and not on 4 F with a penchant for disappearing in the playoffs. You may win one game scoring only 1 goal but you won't win 4 that way.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I don't think many here have had actual migraines. Bad headaches yes but migraines are a different level.

Remember Eddie George in the SuperBowl?

Anyway, if you've had a migraine before you can understand how literally drilling a hole into your skull might sound like a good idea back in the day.
When I was 20 I had a migraine that lasted for DAYS. Couldn’t eat. Couldn’t sleep. Couldn’t work. Couldn’t do anything but lie in bed and suffer. Tylenol did nothing, and I’m allergic to ibuprofen.

Finally, I went to the doctor and he prescribed fiorinal and cleared it up. I will never make light of anyone who says they have a migraine. It’s horrible.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
It can happen but if you are relying on winning games in the playoffs 1-0 you better be spending 11M on a great goalie and not on 4 F with a penchant for disappearing in the playoffs. You may win one game scoring only 1 goal but you won't win 4 that way.

No one’s expecting to win 4 games with 1 goal per game.

Well, they scored their one goal on the PP.

Why does it matter if the goal was scored on the PP vs even strength?

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Migraines also drastically affect your field of vision. Typically in 1 or both eyes, you lose directly straight ahead vision, and a lot of your peripheral vision. Even if you could tolerate the pain, it's useless to play hockey when you can't see properly.

Fortunately, I've only had 2-3 full migraines in my life, but I do get visual / aura migraines 2-3 times per year, where I get the migraine halo / partial vision loss without getting the headache (thankfully). I wouldn't drive a car like that, couldn't imagine playing hockey in that state. They typically last 2-4 hours for me.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
It demonstrates how they capitalized on an opportunity in a game where a lot wasn't going on for them at even-strength.

A team in the post-season has to find ways to win in different ways.

The point is they won with 1 goal. It’s not like the Leafs have been shutout.

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
Edmonton just won 1-0 after being outshot by 20.

Crazy that you can win goals with 1 goal. Samsonov allows 1 bad goal minimum per game which makes that impossible for the Leafs though.
Have the core 4 actually score and that one goal won't matter.

Reactions: CDN24

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I usually don't have the patience to listen to something like this for more than 90 seconds, but Rosehill's passion had me hooked the more he spoke and was unloading. Can't really disagree with what he said.
wow, never seen former players come out like these 2 have. You're right, can't disagree with what was said.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
No one’s expecting to win 4 games with 1 goal per game.

Why does it matter if the goal was scored on the PP vs even strength?
The Leaf’s are averaging less than 2goals for in the series.

You’re asking your goalie, I think the lowest paid goalie in the playoffs, to play better than a 2gaa rather than your $50M stars to score more?

Truly insanity.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Migraines also drastically affect your field of vision. Typically in 1 or both eyes, you lose directly straight ahead vision, and a lot of your peripheral vision. Even if you could tolerate the pain, it's useless to play hockey when you can't see properly.

Fortunately, I've only had 2-3 full migraines in my life, but I do get visual / aura migraines 2-3 times per year, where I get the migraine halo / partial vision loss without getting the headache (thankfully). I wouldn't drive a car like that, couldn't imagine playing hockey in that state. They typically last 2-4 hours for me.
Had a migraine bad enough one that I got dizzy and fainted, no joke. you have to lie in the dark and suffer. its terrible.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The Leaf’s are averaging less than 2goals for in the series.

You’re asking your goalie, I think the lowest paid goalie in the playoffs, to play better than a 2gaa rather than your $50M stars to score more?

Truly insanity.

Lol at lowest paid goalie in the playoffs. He makes more than the goalie at the other side of the rink who’s dominating him and that was awarded to him from an arbitration ruling.

We’re asking the goalie to not allow soft goals. I don’t get why that’s a ridiculous ask. The Bruins had barely any chances in a Game 3 before the Frederic freebie.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Leafs lack mobility on defense. Too many players with a similar profile.

Edmundson, McCabe, Lyub, Benoit... They need at least one good skating/puck moving defenseman in the top 4.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Getting into granular criticisms of injuries is kind of silly. It is absolutely understandable when Player X isn't up to their normal standard when playing through an ankle sprain or migraines or the drizzling shits, but at the same time, it can't be used as a broader excuse for a team that's fundamentally unsound and poorly built.

Take the blueline. I absolutely agree that you need bite back there. Big bodies who can clear the net, who take up space, and who can muscle out opponents. Great teams have that kind of players on their blueline, but they also can move the puck. Rielly is the only one you can rely on to move the puck out of the zone with any kind of efficiency. Not being able to get the puck up the ice is a pretty big drag on your ability to score.

Then there is special teams. The penalty kill sucked all year and the powerplay fizzled in the last part of the season. Those challenges - a huge difference maker in any playoff series - have ZERO to do with health. Marner and Rielly aren't threats to shoot on the PP which allows Boston to focus more on the remaining 3 players on the ice.

Tavares and especially Brodie are on the other side of the aging curve, and used to be core players who had a positive impact on the Leafs success, now they need to be sheltered (Tavares) or a borderline unplayable (Brodie).

The Leafs just aren't good enough.

Reactions: Vukotal Recall

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Dunno, but I don't remember commentators being that directly hostile toward a Leafs player since *maybe* Kessel with Simmonds? Even there, there were no public insults.

Yeah I’m saying his comments are ridiculous. Pastrnak hasn’t had a good series and he’s not run out of town. Marner and Pastrnak have the same number of points this series if it wasn’t for Pastrnak’s empty net assists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis