Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Believe it was reported at the time that they were not targeting someone who was taken in the top 10, and Domi was a likely candidate.

Regardless, everyone likes to highlight the one player who hit in retrospect rather than the ten other guys taken in that area that didn’t.

The trade was not Horvat for Schneider.
That's exactly how it is recorded history wise as he was the player picked with the pick traded for CS....

Schneider trade was fine on value. He gave us several years of being a top 3-5 goalie in the league. It was just shitty timing because the team was too washed to make use of it and then injuries wrecked him. If Schneider was available today given where this team is, I would make that trade again easily. There is no goalie available now like Schneider at the time, though.
It was at that time I wanted Devils to go full rebuild but you are right it was good value and that doesn't exist right now ....

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
That's exactly how it is recorded history wise as he was the player picked with the pick traded for CS....

Sometimes it's unfair to judge it that way. Everybody craps on Edmonton for giving up the Matt Barzal pick but they would have taken Joel Eriksson-Ek had they kept it. Meanwhile nobody seems to give LA any grief for giving up a higher pick for a year of Milan Lucic mostly because Boston used the pick on Jakub Zboril. According to former Kings assistant GM Mike Futa, LA would have taken Barzal had they kept the pick. So is it more fair to say the Kings traded Barzal for Lucic or Zboril for Lucic?

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I think we may see the Devils sign 2-3 UFA forwards.

Stephenson, DeBrusk, Henrique, Joshua, Noesen, Wennberg, Toffoli, Bertuzzi, Martinook, Trenin, Foegele, Amadio, Cousins.

I would place a heavy, heavy wager on at least one of those players above playing for the Devils next season. Probably 2, maybe even 3.

Haula - Hughes - 1X
Bratt - Hischier - Meier
Palat - 2X - Mercer
3X - 4X - Lazar
Bastian, MacDermid

1X - Bertuzzi? DeBrusk? Toffoli?
2X - Stephenson? Henrique? Wennberg?
3x and 4x - Joshua? Noesen? Martinook? Trenin? Foegele? Amadio? Cousins? Nolan Foote?

Reactions: Nubmer6

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I think we may see the Devils sign 2-3 UFA forwards.

Stephenson, DeBrusk, Henrique, Joshua, Noesen, Wennberg, Toffoli, Bertuzzi, Martinook, Trenin, Foegele, Amadio, Cousins.

I would place a heavy, heavy wager on at least one of those players above playing for the Devils next season. Probably 2, maybe even 3.

Haula - Hughes - 1X
Bratt - Hischier - Meier
Palat - 2X - Mercer
3X - 4X - Lazar
Bastian, MacDermid

1X - Bertuzzi? DeBrusk? Toffoli?
2X - Stephenson? Henrique? Wennberg?
3x and 4x - Joshua? Noesen? Martinook? Trenin? Foegele? Amadio? Cousins? Nolan Foote?
None of the 1X unless you can get Bertuzzi at a decent price (unlikely).

None of 2X unless Henrique would join on a short-term deal

for 3X and 4X I'd go pretty much all of those players. Joshua would be my #1 target.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
None of the 1X unless you can get Bertuzzi at a decent price (unlikely).

None of 2X unless Henrique would join on a short-term deal

for 3X and 4X I'd go pretty much all of those players. Joshua would be my #1 target.
Why none of the 1X and 2X that arent Henrique and Bertuzzi??

I think adding Bertuzzi and Cousins would make the Devils much tougher to play against.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad