Player Discussion Charlie Coyle #1 center predictions

Prediction: Charlie Coyle as the #1 center (#1 center meaning he gets to play with either 63 or 88)

• He will thrive as the 1c.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • He will be a serviceable #1c.

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • He's terrible (big minus player) but they keep him there because they don't have better options.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • He will be the 2c and not get to play with 63 or 88.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • He will be the 3c by Xmas if not sooner. Charlie Coyle is not a top6 C.

Votes: 53 41.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
It’s amazing how many deficiencies get overlooked from that series due to swayman.Bruins forwards had Joseph Woll looking like the next best thing.
Healthy Matthews and Nylander and odds are Toronto wins in 7. Its important to stay ahead of Leads and close gap on Florida the B's upgrade with minimum a Lindholm or Stephenson and a top 6 Winger.

I believe Florida will lose at least one of Montour\OEL on their D that will hurt their D.

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Healthy Matthews and Nylander and odds are Toronto wins in 7. Its important to stay ahead of Leads and close gap on Florida the B's upgrade with minimum a Lindholm or Stephenson and a top 6 Winger.

I believe Florida will lose at least one of Montour\OEL on their D that will hurt their D.

Plus, weather they win or lose the cup……consecutive long playoff runs usually takes a lot out of a team and makes a third less likely.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Ranger Bruin Panther 6 game comparison.

Best team in the NHL versus Panthers
Trocheck 6 points +2
Zibanejed 2 points -3

7th best team in NHL versus Panthers
Coyle 3 points +1

If only the bruins had a true number 1 and 2 center.:huh:. The reality is Florida is friggin good and doesn't make Coyle a number 3 center.

I think that just proves that the rangers don’t have one either. Zibby is a PP guy who isn’t really better than the Bruins guys at 5 on 5.

Reactions: Blowfish

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I think that just proves that the rangers don’t have one either. Zibby is a PP guy who isn’t really better than the Bruins guys at 5 on 5.
So the question is what team in the EC has an existing center Corp that matches up
with Florida's? Right now no one does. That's why its imperative, Boston gets 2 top 6 centers, even if both are 2C. I can't see any scenario outside trading McAvoy, which isn't happening, where Boston manages a trade for a legit #1C.

Looks to me like a Lindholm, Stevenson duo and hope Florida loses one of Montour
or Reinhart to really diminish them.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
So the question is what team in the EC has an existing center Corp that matches up
with Florida's? Right now no one does. That's why its imperative, Boston gets 2 top 6 centers, even if both are 2C. I can't see any scenario outside trading McAvoy, which isn't happening, where Boston manages a trade for a legit #1C.

Looks to me like a kind homme Stevenson duo and hope Florida loses one of Montour
or Reinhart to really diminish them.
Yes! Thank you! Exactly my thinking. The need to find centers with the ability to compete with the aggressive Panther forecheckers/playstyle and center depth/skill is a daunting task for any NHL team. Edmonton might have the best shot...it will be an interesting series to watch.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I don’t understand why people want them to have a team where Coyle is one of the top 2 centers, and this isn’t a knock on him,
because there is nothing wrong with being a good 3C and if your 3C is as good as he is, your team is good.

Conversely, I don’t understand the hate he gets from some, as he’s a quality player who is often asked to play above his level, through no fault of his own.
I don’t want him as my third line C at over $5M/yr when we have four other potential options at half that or less under contract already.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I don’t want him as my third line C at over $5M/yr when we have four other potential options at half that or less under contract already.

I see that if they were to design the roster from scratch.

But I don’t want him to be forced into the 2C slot again just because of his salary.

Find a legit 30 goal guy to play with him and Marchand I guess I can live
With him on line 2 but I’d rather have him on line 3.

Mr. Make-Believe

I see that if they were to design the roster from scratch.

But I don’t want him to be forced into the 2C slot again just because of his salary.

Find a legit 30 goal guy to play with him and Marchand I guess I can live
With him on line 2 but I’d rather have him on line 3.
I think there’s another option.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Panthers versus McDavid, Drai, and Nugent-Hop versus Coyle, Zacha, Geekie versus Trochek Zina Roslovic versus Stamkos Point Cirelli.

Thus far Coyle Zacha and Geekie have been the most difficult opponents for Florida.

Fact is ... Bruins add one of Stevenson and/or Lindholm ... the bruins still don't get past this panther team. Coyle played equal to or better than any of the centers the Panthers faced.

Last edited:

Mr. Make-Believe

Panthers versus McDavid, Drai, and Nugent-Hop versus Coyle, Zacha, Geekie versus Trochek Zina Roslovic versus Stamkos Point Cirelli.

Thus far Coyle Zacha and Geekie have been the most difficult opponents for Florida.

Fact is ... Bruins add one of Stevenson and/or Lindholm ... the bruins still don't get past this panther team. Coyle played equal to or better than any of the centers the Panthers faced.
Well then don’t just add Stephenson or Lindholm. Add one of em and another top two top six forwards.

And I’ll ask (not to be a dick, but because I genuinely don’t know)… Were the Bruins all that much better than the Rangers? At all? I’m skeptical, but I didn’t watch. If so, that has to be encouraging.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Well then don’t just add Stephenson or Lindholm. Add one of em and another top two top six forwards.

And I’ll ask (not to be a dick, but because I genuinely don’t know)… Were the Bruins all that much better than the Rangers? At all? I’m skeptical, but I didn’t watch. If so, that has to be encouraging.
Overall the Rangers are a better team on paper versus the bruins. They won the President's trophy and were a deeper team versus the bruins...however I would say the teams played very similar against the panthers.

The Panthers are simply excellent all through the line-up and play a hard on puck / well structured game! The Rangers, Bolts, and guessing Oiler centers will / struggled.

Focussing on Coyle and/or Zacha for lack of bruin success and/or not being a quality 2nd and/or 1st line center is ridiculous. The entire bruin, bolt, ranger teams simply can't match the panthers.

Adding Stevenson and a Necas gets you closer but still not going to beat this panther team ... The oilers have the best center that ever played the game...followed by a close 2nd ... yet the oilers most likely won't get past the panther team.

But but but Coyle and Zacha continue to be the focal point for the bruin demise and horrible centers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Jeremy Swayman having the best goaltending performance of the playoffs is the only reason the series even went 6 with Florida.

Legitimately one of the better performances by a goalie we’ve seen in a series and the Bruins still went down 3-1.

Coyle and Zacha being your top 6 centers is exactly why an all time performance by a goalie still resulted in a series loss in which the bruins were never in control.

The narrative you’re trying to push is laughable

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
None of those 4 other options is capable of producing 60 points, not paired with #88 and being on your 1st PK unit. Can u to tell us how overpaid he will be next year at 3C with the cap going up to $88M? Is it you want a C Corp of Zacha-Lindholm-Poitras
or Zacha-Lindholm-Geekie with #13 at RW. Or you want Coyle traded?

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Jeremy Swayman having the best goaltending performance of the playoffs is the only reason the series even went 6 with Florida.

Legitimately one of the better performances by a goalie we’ve seen in a series and the Bruins still went down 3-1.

Coyle and Zacha being your top 6 centers is exactly why an all time performance by a goalie still resulted in a series loss in which the bruins were never in control.

My narrative is simple...the panthers beat the bruins rangers bolts and most likely oilers 'who happen to have the best center ever to play NHL' because the panthers are that good.

Do I believe the bruins could use some skill and scoring in the top lines. Hell Yes! but it also appears 31 additional teams could use the help. Do I believe Coyle is the reason for the lack of bruin success this playoff? Hell no! He's just an easy target.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: EverettMike

Mr. Make-Believe

None of those 4 other options is capable of producing 60 points, not paired with #88 and being on your 1st PK unit. Can u to tell us how overpaid he will be next year at 3C with the cap going up to $88M? Is it you want a C Corp of Zacha-Lindholm-Poitras
or Zacha-Lindholm-Geekie with #13 at RW. Or you want Coyle traded?
Not sure what you’re getting at with most of this.

Never said that Coyle is overpaid. Not once. I said we had cheaper viable options for the third line C already under contract. Same could be said for the fourth line. Don’t want him there either.

Does that answer the question?

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021

Bold I agree.... and I add that Bob needed to stand on his head game one against Oilers. Let,s see what goes on against the Oilers 1,2 punch before saying Panthers got the best.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006

Swayman was good but he wasn’t 2011 Tim Thomas good. That was the best season and playoff I think I have ever seen by a goalie.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
The way swayman was playing it should never have taken until OT of game 7 to win the Toronto series. Especially with Toronto missing Matthews and nylander separately for a few games

I’m not a huge believer in the supernatural, but with seconds to go in regulation and Nylander with the puck with a wide open Holmberg ready to bury it in the empty net, I figured the Bruins were about to lose in the most Bruin way possible.

But with how cursed the Leafs are as one of the only teams that disappoint more than the Bruins, some outside force definitely made sure that pass hit Witherspoon while also not deflecting into the net.

Was just too perfect.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Swayman was good but he wasn’t 2011 Tim Thomas good. That was the best season and playoff I think I have ever seen by a goalie.
First 2 rounds not really Thomas was so so vs Montreal. Philly was bad and then he had a couple off games early vs Tampa. Middle of the ECF to the Finals sure.

Ad

Ad

Ad