GWT: Champions League - Semifinals

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I don't know why you're wasting your time with a dude who said with the most complete seriousness that Barca paid off refs just to get fair reffing and 75 percent of his posts are a variation of 'The refs are in the bag for Real' and another who thinks it's a conspiracy against a French club the instant someone sneezes in the stadium.

You're not going to get anywhere when you're dealing with that sort of maturity level.

So says the guy who shows absolutely nothing, along with the powers that be in Spain, that we got anything from said payments apart from ref reports. You’d have to actually be clueless or ignorant if they don’t know that Madrid have been getting calls in La Liga for decades, even decades post-Franco.

Reactions: Evilo

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
So says the guy who shows absolutely nothing, along with the powers that be in Spain, that we got anything from said payments apart from ref reports. You’d have to actually be clueless or ignorant if they don’t know that Madrid have been getting calls in La Liga for decades, even decades post-Franco.

Don't care.

You'd have to be nuts to not think that all the big clubs get calls to go their way. Somehow Barca fans seem to be the biggest bitch babies on the planet about it all.

Am I supposed to believe that Barca aren't a privileged club? Miss me with that bullshit.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Anyone using them as a replacement for watching games is an idiot. But having advanced metrics to check against what you are seeing is very useful in guarding against confirmation bias.

The problem with football is all of the really good models get bought up and either get stuck behind a paywall or become clubs' property knowledge in no time...like does anyone remember when "packing" was the new hotness?

Whereas in the NBA you can have some models like EPM & DARKO that are still publicly available and useful to use in conjunction with watching games and other metrics.

I don't know, is there a real value for clubs in accurate xG or similar team level stats? I don't think so, the only parties that could be really interested in that are bookies to give accurate odds.

For teams, I don't think there is much value in having such a stat. It would be nice to have a per-player xGF% or similar, but there the big problem of soccer is that there are much less events and much less "substitutions". In hockey these metrics work in some way, because you get many values for different combinations of players on the ice during a game and can thus deduce the individual influence of a player. In soccer it's the same players on the field for most of the game and usually also far fewer events anyway. And that is imo the biggest problem of these advanced stats in soccer.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Don't care.

You'd have to be nuts to not think that all the big clubs get calls to go their way. Somehow Barca fans seem to be the biggest bitch babies on the planet about it all.

Am I supposed to believe that Barca aren't a privileged club? Miss me with that bullshit.

Obviously, hence your posting bullshit every time.

Well no, you’re not, because you obviously don’t watch the league or the matches. You should give it a try.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't know, is there a real value for clubs in accurate xG or similar team level stats? I don't think so, the only parties that could be really interested in that are bookies to give accurate odds.

For teams, I don't think there is much value in having such a stat. It would be nice to have a per-player xGF% or similar, but there the big problem of soccer is that there are much less events and much less "substitutions". In hockey these metrics work in some way, because you get many values for different combinations of players on the ice during a game and can thus deduce the individual influence of a player. In soccer it's the same players on the field for most of the game and usually also far fewer events anyway. And that is imo the biggest problem of these advanced stats in soccer.

Professional football teams track way more than is available to the public. Both to keep tabs on their own players' form, and to seek out scouting targets. Won't be stuff like basic xG, but Reinartz & Hegeler were selling their packing data to clubs within a year or two of presenting it to the public.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad