Blues 2024 Off-Season Trade Proposals Thread

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
It all has to go through Krug. If he's still wanting to be here this season, everything else is moot.
Very true but I suspect part of the unwillingness to waive for Philadelphia last offseason had alot to do with who was behind the bench.

I suspect an ask to waive for Detroit to return back home to Michigan would be met more favorably.

Reactions: Blueston

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Very true but I suspect part of the unwillingness to waive for Philadelphia last offseason had alot to do with who was behind the bench.

I suspect an ask to waive for Detroit to return back home to Michigan would be met more favorably.

I can't see any fit in Detroit for him. They are pretty solid in the backend with multiple prospects pushing to make the roster.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Will the Blues try to acquire bottom pair D, or do they have prospects that they intend to fill those spots with?
if we deal krug we will need another nhl lhd behind leddy. marco scandella is ufa and the other guys at bottom of roster (tucker and perunovich) are fairly marginal so probably don't mind playing one regularly but not both.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Combining some of the thoughts in previous posts, if we could turn Krug and Buchnevich into Theodore, Määttä and Fabbri and sign a respectable 2C like Monahan or Duchene for 2-3 years I would call that a pretty good offseason. The trades are almost cap neutral and you might have enough dry powder to sign a desperate middle 6 winger to a 1 year deal right before camp starts.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Combining some of the thoughts in previous posts, if we could turn Krug and Buchnevich into Theodore, Määttä and Fabbri and sign a respectable 2C like Monahan or Duchene for 2-3 years I would call that a pretty good offseason. The trades are almost cap neutral and you might have enough dry powder to sign a desperate middle 6 winger to a 1 year deal right before camp starts.
not sure why we would want any of that? if we deal off our vets i would want to acquire young talent to fit our next wave, not aging guys on downside of their careeers.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
not sure why we would want any of that? if we deal off our vets i would want to acquire young talent to fit our next wave, not aging guys on downside of their careeers.
Agreed. Papering over roster issues with aging vets is how you we end up in the mushy middle.

Stay the course, take your medicine, draft and develop the youth while keeping cap space/options open for ACTUAL difference makers.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I’d be all for turning 3 years of Krug into 1 year of Fabbri+Maatta. I have negative interest in a Buch trade like that though.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Agreed. Papering over roster issues with aging vets is how you we end up in the mushy middle.

Stay the course, take your medicine, draft and develop the youth while keeping cap space/options open for ACTUAL difference makers.
The Blues don’t need Theodore. They need to identify the next Theodore before anyone else does, and acquire him for less value, sign him long term and build a core that is synchronized.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The Blues don’t need Theodore. They need to identify the next Theodore before anyone else does, and acquire him for less value, sign him long term and build a core that is synchronized.
100% agree. Theodore is fine player but we need to stop chasing 2022 Cup. That ship has sailed. We need to be focused on next window which could open as soon as 2-3 years from now with some luck and smart moves. I don't want to see us trade any high value assets (1sts or 2nds or equivalent players/prospects) for pretty much anyone older than 25, no matter how good they are, as it will only shortcircuit this process..

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
100% agree. Theodore is fine player but we need to stop chasing 2022 Cup. That ship has sailed. We need to be focused on next window which could open as soon as 2-3 years from now with some luck and smart moves. I don't want to see us trade any high value assets (1sts or 2nds or equivalent players/prospects) for pretty much anyone older than 25, no matter how good they are, as it will only shortcircuit this process..
I disagree, mostly because of how difficult it is (or in this case, is going to be) to draft and develop top pairing defensemen unless you really suck, and how trading for someone under 25 who is trending to being a top pairing D is nearly impossible because no one is going to want to let that player go, and likely doesn't have to as long as the cap keeps going up.

I see (theoretically) trading Buchnevich for Theodore as an immediate improvement of our D at the expense of our forward group, which has far more options to back fill, even if it means using free agency. I don't think you're going to get anything approaching the value equivalent of an under-25 D with Top 2 potential for Buch, and any draft picks we would get for him would be more like lottery tickets - no one is giving up a Top 5 pick, even if we throw in 16OA. The only possible exception I see would be prying one of Power or Byram out of Buffalo, but they're probably more interested in a younger forward or a RD compliment than they are for a guy like Buch who is one year from free agency.

Expecting to hit home runs to get back to true contention seems to me to be a fool's errand unless we somehow luck into a lottery win after missing the playoffs. The more likely path is 3-6 years of continuous improvement, and someone like Theodore would go a long way towards that. True, he will be aging out by the end of that time frame, but he will give you a number of years of significantly better play than what we have today. He would immediately be our Top LD (he may even be better than Parayko with his higher offensive upside) and allows Leddy to slot lower where he will almost certainly be more effective. The extension of Theodore would be pricey, but not that much more so than one for Buchnevich. Eventually, with the cap going up, you have an opportunity bring in someone in a couple of years that theoretically pushes Theodore (and/or Parayko) down in the lineup, either through free agency (which is likely going to be someone just a year or two younger than Theodore is now) or getting really lucky drafting a 1D outside the Top 16 and hoping he is ready by the time you plan to be contending.

Once Krug and Faulk are off the books, we will almost certainly have a ton of cap space available to improve the D, and bringing in someone like Theodore is not going to prevent us from building a Top 10 caliber defense. Quite the opposite, in my view, as I feel like his play style will keep him a legitimate 3/4 even at the end of a theoretical 6 year extension and we will get plenty of value out of him as we are trying to re-tool back to contender status.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Theodore will be able to demand a Petro type contract and he'll get it on the open market. If Army didn't sign Petro with where the org was at the time, why would Theodore get that type of deal as we are building back up?

Last edited:

jjniner

Feb 28, 2016
Any chance Montreal gives us both number 1’s for Kyrou? They need scoring wings and don’t want to give up any of their young D. I believe 5 and 24

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I disagree, mostly because of how difficult it is (or in this case, is going to be) to draft and develop top pairing defensemen unless you really suck, and how trading for someone under 25 who is trending to being a top pairing D is nearly impossible because no one is going to want to let that player go, and likely doesn't have to as long as the cap keeps going up.

I see (theoretically) trading Buchnevich for Theodore as an immediate improvement of our D at the expense of our forward group, which has far more options to back fill, even if it means using free agency. I don't think you're going to get anything approaching the value equivalent of an under-25 D with Top 2 potential for Buch, and any draft picks we would get for him would be more like lottery tickets - no one is giving up a Top 5 pick, even if we throw in 16OA. The only possible exception I see would be prying one of Power or Byram out of Buffalo, but they're probably more interested in a younger forward or a RD compliment than they are for a guy like Buch who is one year from free agency.

Expecting to hit home runs to get back to true contention seems to me to be a fool's errand unless we somehow luck into a lottery win after missing the playoffs. The more likely path is 3-6 years of continuous improvement, and someone like Theodore would go a long way towards that. True, he will be aging out by the end of that time frame, but he will give you a number of years of significantly better play than what we have today. He would immediately be our Top LD (he may even be better than Parayko with his higher offensive upside) and allows Leddy to slot lower where he will almost certainly be more effective. The extension of Theodore would be pricey, but not that much more so than one for Buchnevich. Eventually, with the cap going up, you have an opportunity bring in someone in a couple of years that theoretically pushes Theodore (and/or Parayko) down in the lineup, either through free agency (which is likely going to be someone just a year or two younger than Theodore is now) or getting really lucky drafting a 1D outside the Top 16 and hoping he is ready by the time you plan to be contending.

Once Krug and Faulk are off the books, we will almost certainly have a ton of cap space available to improve the D, and bringing in someone like Theodore is not going to prevent us from building a Top 10 caliber defense. Quite the opposite, in my view, as I feel like his play style will keep him a legitimate 3/4 even at the end of a theoretical 6 year extension and we will get plenty of value out of him as we are trying to re-tool back to contender status.
This is where I disagree- even if we acquire Theodore and he is our best defenseman now, it's still probably 3 years before our window opens and in 3 years, he's a 32yo declining player on big money contract that probably can't really be counted on in top pair role. plus his durability has been suspect in his 20s and is likely to be worse in 30s. so we would have an aging, injury prone guy on books at $8mm+ as we enter our window. Pass. We are better off accumulating assets now, not spending them on older players. 2-3 years from now the guys we picked with those picks will hopefully be ascending players who can either join our core or be dealt for the help we need, but we can't use them to get the top pair guy we may still need in 3 years if we deal them now for someone who seems unlikely to be able to fill that role during the period 3-7 years from now when we should be peaking.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Any chance Montreal gives us both number 1’s for Kyrou? They need scoring wings and don’t want to give up any of their young D. I believe 5 and 24

This fanbase's hate boner for Kyrou is unreal. If we trade him away then we spend the next few years praying that one of the forwards we draft can replace the offense we lost. Yes, there are holes in his game but for a former 2nd round pick he is an exceptional player. Also as we age out some of our older contracts, being replaced with ELCs and 2nd bridge contracts, and the cap continues to rise his salary will become much more tolerable.

Reactions: Snubbed4Vezina

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019

Exactly, we need to make up our mind.

If we are competing next season, we should definitely keep Buch, and try to fill as many holes as possible, as a last ditch effort before calling quits on the current core of players.

If we want to actually rebuild properly, then we need to deal every asset except a few vets like Schenn and Thomas to tutor the kids. Then in 2 - 4 years, we would reemerge as a legit contender again. Doing a wierd mixture is neither here nor there, would not end with any type of satisfactory results, and would only lengthen the time until the next cup.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

If Theodore is the best defenseman we have over the next 5 years, then I am sure we shouldn’t expect to contend for a Cup within that time frame and probably more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad