Post-Game Talk: Avs 5 - Jets 1, Avs lead series 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Except schief is not a #1 on a contender and if he’s your top centre you will lose.

I think that’s an overly simplistic statement. Teams have different strengths and weaknesses. Weaknesses in one area may, to some extent, be compensated by strengths other areas. I think a team can win with Scheifele as its top line center (look at 2018 as proof of an example that it can be done). You don’t need a 100+ point center to win a cup.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think that’s an overly simplistic statement. Teams have different strengths and weaknesses. Weaknesses in one area may, to some extent, be compensated by strengths other areas. I think a team can win with Scheifele as its top line center (look at 2018 as proof of an example that it can be done). You don’t need a 100+ point center to win a cup.
I agree the centre doesn’t need to be a 100 pt centre. Bergeron led Boston and was a very good team. Difference is Bergeron was a selkie nominee.

In order for jets to be competitive they need a center better than Schief. They don’t have an ovie. Yes, you can have a super strong defence core a pietrangelo, and Vegas’ d-core from last year. Since, we don’t, it’s easier to say get a better centre than revamp our whole d-core. Depth is great, but, I can’t think of a contender who didn’t have more stars than we do.

Is point stronger than Schief? Maybe, but, they had a Kucherov. They had Hedman, Sergachev, cernak.

So, yes, you can win without a better centre, but, it would require so many more parts, that in any team that is competitive in my head, it starts with a centre better than Schief.

Cotton Eye Joe

Oct 8, 2023
I was going to read through all of the posts on here from last night until now. After reading a few page I felt that I was doing more work than some of the Jets.
In a nutshell, there are way too many passengers out there. And there is a big difference in playing hard and playing smart. A number of Jets are hustling, but not playing a team game and hustling with no plan.
And the masses, including media, who predicted the Jets would win because of their depth were dead wrong. I'd say Colorado has just as much or more quality depth than the Jets.
When you get outworked, outsmarted, and your leaders don't lead but start throwing blame around you are done.
Work harder, be a team and good things will happen.
Bones has shown them all year how to play. The fact they refuse to is supremely disappointing.
I was prepared to throw a pizza party for my class if they had a long playoff run.
Disappointing for all of us.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I was going to read through all of the posts on here from last night until now. After reading a few page I felt that I was doing more work than some of the Jets.
In a nutshell, there are way too many passengers out there. And there is a big difference in playing hard and playing smart. A number of Jets are hustling, but not playing a team game and hustling with no plan.
And the masses, including media, who predicted the Jets would win because of their depth were dead wrong. I'd say Colorado has just as much or more quality depth than the Jets.
When you get outworked, outsmarted, and your leaders don't lead but start throwing blame around you are done.
Work harder, be a team and good things will happen.
Bones has shown them all year how to play. The fact they refuse to is supremely disappointing.
I was prepared to throw a pizza party for my class if they had a long playoff run.
Disappointing for all of us.
I’m more interested to hear about your class than I am about the jets. What grade?

Reactions: WolfHouse

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Can you show me the team that won the cup with a 70pt 1c?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Toews, Bergeron, O'Reilly, Eichel. Infact Echiel is the closest stylistic and impact center to Mark on that list. So yes plenty of 70 point 1C's win the cup. Most though bring elite d to the table though.

So yes I think we can win with Mark as a 1C if Vegas can win with Jack if we build the right team.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Toews, Bergeron, O'Reilly, Eichel. Infact Echiel is the closest stylistic and impact center to Mark on that list. So yes plenty of 70 point 1C's win the cup. Most though bring elite d to the table though.

So yes I think we can win with Mark as a 1C if Vegas can win with Jack if we build the right team.
As you mentioned they all bring elite D except Schief. Bergeron has been nominated for selkies and won.
Vegas had a better D that I don’t think we can get the likes of in the window schief will be good for.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016

You didn’t bother checking that up before asking that eh?

(As a side note, Scheifele is a point-per-game center, his 70-some points this year as opposed to 80-85ish is due to the games he missed injured)

Reactions: blues10

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
You didn’t bother checking that up before asking that eh?

(As a side note, Scheifele is a point-per-game center, his 70-some points this year as opposed to 80-85ish is due to the games he missed injured)
Why the f*** would I waste time checking your post? I hope you're not cherry picking and acting like stone isn't a ppg player

So.. st louis I guess? What's your point

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
As you mentioned they all bring elite D except Schief. Bergeron has been nominated for selkies and won.
Vegas had a better D that I don’t think we can get the likes of in the window schief will be good for.

You make a good point about the D - and I’m not talking so much about Scheifele’s D, but more so about our defensemen. 2018 had Morrissey, Buff, Trouba, Chariot, Myers. I don’t think our current D are anywhere near the cumulative players we had in 2018 on D.

That being said, going back to my point that I think coaching decisions aren’t helping here, if you look at Scheifele’s metrics where he’s paired with Ehlers, it gets pretty close to what you want from your 1C. I know this topic has been debated a lot on here, but there is a line combination that turns Scheifele into pretty close to elite and the coaching staff chose to not do go with that combo. So yes, I do think the lack of adjustments coaching-wise is an issue here and that was partly the point of my original post.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
You make a good point about the D - and I’m not talking so much about Scheifele’s D, but more so about our defensemen. 2018 had Morrissey, Buff, Trouba, Chariot, Myers. I don’t think our current D are anywhere near the cumulative players we had in 2018 on D.

That being said, going back to my point that I think coaching decisions aren’t helping here, if you look at Scheifele’s metrics where he’s paired with Ehlers, it gets pretty close to what you want from your 1C. I know this topic has been debated a lot on here, but there is a line combination that turns Scheifele into pretty close to elite and the coaching staff chose to not do go with that combo. So yes, I do think the lack of adjustments coaching-wise is an issue here and that was partly the point of my original post.
You think it's multiple coaches that have looked at ehlers-scheif and said nah... or you think scheifele has influence over who he plays with - answer seems obvious now.

I doubt ehlers is on the top line tomorrow

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yes we don't have a good enough dcore. I'd be really trying hard to revamp it a bit this summer. I want Pionk gone.

JoMo xxx
Snerg yyy
Heinola DeMelo

Maybe Ehlers and a good prospect gets you Poluck. Then sign a second pairing RD.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Yeah, the "regular guy' got tired of being played over and over and is trying to not get jerked around so much. You gotta think it was a thong bikini of some kind but I'm not gonna ask. No, sir, not me. But I am allowed to go back and look at her pics in the humor thread and speculate.
Why am I not shocked to hear these pics are posted here? :laugh:

Reactions: WolfHouse

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yes we don't have a good enough dcore. I'd be really trying hard to revamp it a bit this summer. I want Pionk gone.

JoMo xxx
Snerg yyy
Heinola DeMelo

Maybe Ehlers and a good prospect gets you Poluck. Then sign a second pairing RD.
Is getting two top pieces easier to get than a centre to bump schief down? Also if you go by the rest of @jetsfan15’s point we need Ehlers in order to make Schief elite.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Is getting two top pieces easier to get than a centre to bump schief down? Also if you go by the rest of @jetsfan15’s point we need Ehlers in order to make Schief elite.

The issue is I don't believe Ehelers will entertain staying.

I doubt we can get a true 1C contending level 1C. But I think getting a top pairing dmen and a good second pairing one might be achievable.

Reactions: hockeyarena
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad