OT: Around the NHL: Go Cats Go

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Fleury was just good enough in the elimination games to win, but apart from game 7 vs Caps and games 6 and 7 vs Detroit he was kind of bad. 909 save% if I remember right and that’s not exactly spectacular in 2009.
2009 Fleury is kind of a statistical anomaly when it comes to champion starters. Yeah, I won't deny that happened, but it's not exactly a formula for success historically if you look through the winners.
So if we're projecting what the Oilers need to win, 2016 and 2017 level goaltending is a much more realistic need.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
The play gets tighter because the teams that advance are usually really well structured, not because it's a later round and guys decide to suddenly turn it up. The bad defensive teams die early, most of the time.
LA is a super well structured team, defensively. They have a major problem containing McDrai though (like almost everyone else), and they don't score enough in the playoffs. So they lose.
The #s back up the sentiment. I said it gets harder to score, and you agree, it does. It also gets tighter because the refs let more stuff go in the later rounds. Even moreso than they do nowadays.

LA being a favorable matchup for EDM doesn't really support your argument. It's like saying "Lundqvist is a HOF goalie, he just had no answer to Sid and Geno." We eventually loved facing the Rangers for that reason, just like EDM preferred LA 100% over Vegas in this first round.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Fleury was just good enough in the elimination games to win, but apart from game 7 vs Caps and games 6 and 7 vs Detroit he was kind of bad. 909 save% if I remember right and that’s not exactly spectacular in 2009.
"Just good enough" is a bit of an understatement. Washington didn't score till the game was 5-0, and in games 6 & 7 vs Detroit, they never even surrendered a lead, let alone trailed.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
"Just good enough" is a bit of an understatement. Washington didn't score till the game was 5-0, and in games 6 & 7 vs Detroit, they never even surrendered a lead, let alone trailed.
I meant just good enough in the elimination games in comparison to the whole body of work to win the Cup, not that he was just good enough in those games to scrape by. He was great in those 3 games I listed and pretty underwhelming in a lot of the other games.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I guess the only objective poster on here didn't want to address the stats I posted about McDavid's production with and without Draisaitl the past 3 playoffs?:help:

Weird how his production is actually lower than Crosby's 2009 production when Draisaitl's not on his line. But apparently it's only us biased Penguins fans who think having an elite linemate can influence a player's stats.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I guess the only objective poster on here didn't want to address the stats I posted about McDavid's production with and without Draisaitl the past 3 playoffs?:help:

Weird how his production is actually lower than Crosby's 2009 production when Draisaitl's not on his line. But apparently it's only us biased Penguins fans who think having an elite linemate can influence a player's stats.

1718173857159.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad