Around the NHL 2023 - Playoffs 2024

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Am I the only one here that is slightly okay with the Rangers winning because of Laviolette? Pretty much everything else about them I don’t like though. Huge entitled market, spoiled with guys like Fox and Panarin forcing their way there, somewhat undeserved draft lottery luck, etc.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Am I the only one here that is slightly okay with the Rangers winning because of Laviolette? Pretty much everything else about them I don’t like though. Huge entitled market, spoiled with guys like Fox and Panarin forcing their way there, somewhat undeserved draft lottery luck, etc.
I could care less about Lavi. Never had that same feeling about him like I did with Trotz, but even with his SC win it was as much about seeing Ovi winning as it was Trotz.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I could care less about Lavi. Never had that same feeling about him like I did with Trotz, but even with his SC win it was as much about seeing Ovi winning as it was Trotz.
Definitely with you on that. We had a special playoff run and follow-up season with Lavi, but don't feel any real attachment to him and it also felt like he "struck gold" with some tweaks to the foundation Trotz had left him and then had nothing else up his sleeve after that (though he's obviously had some success just about everywhere he's been).

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
Definitely with you on that. We had a special playoff run and follow-up season with Lavi, but don't feel any real attachment to him and it also felt like he "struck gold" with some tweaks to the foundation Trotz had left him and then had nothing else up his sleeve after that (though he's obviously had some success just about everywhere he's been).
In retrospect, it's amazing how accurate the talk about Lavi's coaching style has been. When we got him, I remember Philly fans chirping "oh, he'll do good for a couple of years and then players will tune him out" because he's a motivator, not an X's and O's guy. Seems to be damn near the case based on his track record.

JR303

Feb 28, 2008
God I hate glass bangers.

I think the league should institute a policy that the skater with the lowest ice time, on the losing team, should get to beat the living shit out of anyone caught banging the glass at an NHL game.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Size of defensemen of teams in the conference finals:

FLA:

6-0 (Forsling)
6-4
6-4
6-0 (Montour)
6-2
6-1

NYR:

6-0
5-11 (Fox)
6-5
6-3
6-0
6-2

DAL:

6-3
6-1
6-3
6-2
6-2
6-4

EDM:

6-4
6-3
6-4
6-6
6-2
6-2

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I don't put Josi in this category but it was interesting watching some of these guys play at Worlds.. PLD looked downright engaged today and Fiala even had a critical backcheck to break up a breakaway chance with the body.

I will say PLD even playing in this tournament to begin with kind of goes against the narrative surrounding him.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't put Josi in this category but it was interesting watching some of these guys play at Worlds.. PLD looked downright engaged today and Fiala even had a critical backcheck to break up a breakaway chance with the body.

I will say PLD even playing in this tournament to begin with kind of goes against the narrative surrounding him.
Not really. PLD has the same rep that RyJo had, he can play well when HE wants to do it. Problem is he doesn't always want to do it.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Not really. PLD has the same rep that RyJo had, he can play well when HE wants to do it. Problem is he doesn't always want to do it.
If he's as lazy as advertised he has no real reason to play in a tournament that most of Canada is indifferent to.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Yeah you aren't getting it, he doesn't care what Canada thinks, its all about what he thinks. It's not a matter of being lazy, its a matter of give a shit.
The narrative is that he doesn't give a shit and is happy to go out and collect a fat paycheck and loaf around on the ice. So yeah it's a little mysterious to me why he would choose to play in a tournament for a measly stipend after a long season.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
The narrative is that he doesn't give a shit and is happy to go out and collect a fat paycheck and loaf around on the ice. So yeah it's a little mysterious to me why he would choose to play in a tournament for a measly stipend after a long season.
Trip to Europe. Enjoy a new party scene?

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
The Worlds always seem to have some weird performances. Remember 18-19 when Turris was god awful for us then went to captain Canada and put up a point per game.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
In retrospect, it's amazing how accurate the talk about Lavi's coaching style has been. When we got him, I remember Philly fans chirping "oh, he'll do good for a couple of years and then players will tune him out" because he's a motivator, not an X's and O's guy. Seems to be damn near the case based on his track record.
I get this is his pattern but holy shit the results he gets with "motivation" is hard to argue about.

Of course it may be a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy as since he has this rep he now seems to seek out and be hired by teams that are already good and just need a bit more to get over the hump, as opposed to taking over a team in transition or who just fired their coach because they suck

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I get this is his pattern but holy shit the results he gets with "motivation" is hard to argue about.

Of course it may be a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy as since he has this rep he now seems to seek out and be hired by teams that are already good and just need a bit more to get over the hump, as opposed to taking over a team in transition or who just fired their coach because they suck
Yeah. Seems like an exercise in circularity to tease apart whether he gets the pick of the litter in terms of opportunities because he's a good coach or if he's a good coach because he gets to pick the best opportunities.

Reactions: PredsV82

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Could just be that he wants to play for his country. Under different circumstances where the playoffs aren't going on at the same time he may not get the offer. Or who knows, maybe he wants to be in the Olympics and thinks a good showing there will help his case.

Guys like him just need a reason, and it doesn't always make a ton of sense. That's the reason they are frustrating as heck to have on your team for fans, coaches, and GM's.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Much easier to play a few games and give a shit than play a season of 82 games and give a shit for 82 games.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Florida and New York are not so weak in goal. I would love it if Dallas won the Cup, but if they do get to the finals, they'll have a big challenge against either of those teams.
At some point one might think that the law of averages will come to bear and the NYR might lose an OT game. That might be in the Finals and it could easily be the difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad