Around the League

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
You mean the 5'8" center that lit up the AHL in his rookie season, and got promoted to the big club? He's def small, but that's why he fell to the second round.

I was just surprised I liked a few of your posts today. I certainly look at the poster's name when I read posts.

And Buium is def a project. We'll see next season.

The issue is the draft is a crapshoot, you cannot fault the Wings for not taking those players because their numbers and showing during the draft year suggests that they probably should not be drafted that high. Nevertheless, all the kids in question here are still 20/21 years old, so the jury is still out on them.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Agreed. Another place I think the NHL is completely failing is hits from behind. It's technically not allowed, but is absolutely actually allowed in practice as long as you don't hit the guy too hard and nothing bad happens.

But if the guy you're running from behind stumbles, or something fluky happens then suddenly it's illegal again. The obvious solution to me is to actually not allow hitting from behind.

And while we're at it, any fight that happens after a hit is an automatic 2, 5, and 10 for the guy instigating. I think it's supposed to be that way but they rarely call it. Players shouldn't have to answer for a clean hard hit. And even if it's questionable, if you want to send a message you're gonna pay a price.

Yup. It sure seems like Yzerman's got a window in mind. Also, it's hard to lure skill guys to a team that's awful. As the Wings claw their way out of the basement it should get less difficult to sign better players.

the sad thing is that that is probably what does end up happening at some point

....but it'll take someone getting paralyzed or something first and then rules will be changed in reaction to that

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The issue is the draft is a crapshoot, you cannot fault the Wings for not taking those players because their numbers and showing during the draft year suggests that they probably should not be drafted that high. Nevertheless, all the kids in question here are still 20/21 years old, so the jury is still out on them.

It's not a complete crapshoot, otherwise why bother scouting? Teams didn't think Stankoven had enough skill to compensate for his size, looks like they were wrong.

Also, I didn't say either Cossa or Buium are busts, I said goalie and project defenseman. I'll take 2 roster centers over that. Certainly better than playing Czarnik during a playoff chase.

the sad thing is that that is probably what does end up happening at some point

....but it'll take someone getting paralyzed or something first and then rules will be changed in reaction to that

It's not the rules, it's rule enforcement. They cracked down on crosschecking for a bit and now backed off. Same with subtle interference before that.

At least they're a bit more consistent with hits to the head, but we've seen that also being ignored when the Wings are the target. Then again, I've also seen sticks thrown at the puck and not get called this season, lol.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
It's not a complete crapshoot, otherwise why bother scouting? Teams didn't think Stankoven had enough skill to compensate for his size, looks like they were wrong.

Also, I didn't say either Cossa or Buium are busts, I said goalie and project defenseman. I'll take 2 roster centers over that. Certainly better than playing Czarnik during a playoff chase.

Scouting is simply a game of projection, for every Stankoven, million others didn't make it. Keep in mind even Stankoven himself is just getting started, and for all we know he may not be all that good down the road.

The only method with 100% success rate is a crystal ball.

Reactions: izlez

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Scouting is simply a game of projection, for every Stankoven, million others didn't make it. Keep in mind even Stankoven himself is just getting started, and for all we know he may not be all that good down the road.

The only method with 100% success rate is a crystal ball.

Nobody's expecting 100% success, some teams are more successful than others, and it's not by pure chance. Scouting matters.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Ya'll really did not lie when you warned us about Hronek :laugh: Hopefully we can get a similar return as you guys did.
I think the issue with Hronek is he really thinks he is a #1 and expects to be paid like a lower end #1. He is a really solid #3 but even then he needs a solid partner. To me he was always a poor man's Kronwall, but with more agitating vs. hitting. He wants too much when you consider how much you need to pay a suitable partner for him.

I think Stevie knew he'd be getting into a bit of a cap crunch this year and when looking at all of Seider, Ray, and Hronek, knew which of those 3 he identified as long term components.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The following is FROM THE CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS:

(In response to harassment allegations made by Ms. Sanders)

"The Chicago Blackhawks have a zero tolerance policy for misconduct and take allegations of harassment in the workplace very seriously. In response to Ms. Sanders' allegations, the organization immediately conducted a thorough investigation with the assistance of outside counsel, including interviews with internal and external parties, and review of pertinent materials and digital records. Based on the information available to us, we found insufficient evidence to substantiate her claims. Of note, the persons identified by Ms. Sanders in your question are not, and have never been, independent contractors with nor employees of the Chicago Blackhawks."

It blows my mind that they can even print this stuff and keep a straight face.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Hronek is only two games away from the Conference Finals.

Against Edmonton he is a +1 in +/-. He is also averaging over 21 minutes a game. He may not be scoring, but he is contributing positively this series.
He's been really poor. Especially if doesn't get to play with Hughes. He also doesn't have a single point in the playoffs. Rumor is he's dealing with an injury tho

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

That's probably for the best.

Those kinds of threads seem to turn into conversations about false accusations that ruin mens' lives. Then add to that a discussion of changing a mascot some Native Americans find offensive and it's a guaranteed shitshow.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
He's been really poor. Especially if doesn't get to play with Hughes. He also doesn't have a single point in the playoffs. Rumor is he's dealing with an injury tho

I think part of the problem is expectations seem high because he had a really good start this season. When in reality he is a top-4 dman with an offensive flair and defensive weaknesses.

Reactions: Bgav

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The only thing I can think of with the neverending Hronek discussions is the Denny Green rant.

"He is, who we thought he was! If you want to crown him, then crown his ass! But he is who we thought he was!"

The "let him off the hook" bit doesn't quite fit though, sadly.

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $110.00