Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors and Discussion

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
What moves should we make this offseason? Who should stay and go? Will we be active in the UFA/trade market? Will anyone be bought out?

Discuss all offseason roster matters in here.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I would actualy prefer the new GM comes in and focuses on July 1st and free agency instead of the draft that might be just weeks after their hire date. Let the amateur scouting department handle the draft, especially since if the new GM comes from another NHL team he may not be permitted to participate at the draft table anyway. No one drafted in 2024 is going to be a consideration for the 2024-25 Blue Jackets anyway, and the GM's most important job is icing a better product come October.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I would actualy prefer the new GM comes in and focuses on July 1st and free agency instead of the draft that might be just weeks after their hire date. Let the amateur scouting department handle the draft, especially since if the new GM comes from another NHL team he may not be permitted to participate at the draft table anyway. No one drafted in 2024 is going to be a consideration for the 2024-25 Blue Jackets anyway, and the GM's most important job is icing a better product come October.
in theory i agree with this but in practice, the draft is the biggest opportunity to make trades (or set the stage for trades).

in other words, let the new GM focus on negotiating trades in the run up to / during the draft, but let ville siren actually make the picks when they're on the board.

Reactions: majormajor

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
in theory i agree with this but in practice, the draft is the biggest opportunity to make trades (or set the stage for trades).

in other words, let the new GM focus on negotiating trades in the run up to / during the draft, but let ville siren actually make the picks when they're on the board.
Well, I didn't think I needed to literally say "focus solely on picks four, thirty six, sixty-eight, eighty-five, 100, 132, and 164" when I said "the draft," but okay. You got me.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

But like... if they're a good hire, haven't they already been paying attention/focusing on the upcoming draft?

Reactions: koteka

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Well, I didn't think I needed to literally say "focus solely on picks four, thirty six, sixty-eight, eighty-five, 100, 132, and 164" when I said "the draft," but okay. You got me.
lol oops i misread yours as "not hire a GM until july 1" so i guess i got myself there actually

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
But like... if they're a good hire, haven't they already been paying attention/focusing on the upcoming draft?
Yes but good leaders listen to the people around them, if they haven't been an active GM following the draft and scouting then they should honestly differ those decisions to the room. Idk if it's just for show but I've yet to see a decision that's been made on the Behind the Battle episodes where only one person makes a decision. It's usually something they all bounce off of each other until they come to a general consensus.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Yes but good leaders listen to the people around them, if they haven't been an active GM following the draft and scouting then they should honestly differ those decisions to the room. Idk if it's just for show but I've yet to see a decision that's been made on the Behind the Battle episodes where only one person makes a decision. It's usually something they all bounce off of each other until they come to a general consensus.

I'm just saying that if they haven't been following the draft and scouting then we shouldn't hire them. We're all doing it here and we're not even getting paid / hoping to be hired as an NHL GM.

Agree with the notion that it's a collaborative process, for sure.

Reactions: CBJx614

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
And if it's Tulsky, for example, what Carolina's focus on the draft is and what Columbus's is would be wildly different. If it's Hunter, he's GM of an OHL team more than likely going to win the Mem Cup, so he wouldn't have had time to focus on scouting the rest of the world outside the OHL, Drummondville, and Moose Jaw. So sure, we want them to have a familiarity with the basics, but we have an amateur scouting staff for a reason, and there hasn't been any changes to that personnel. Let them do their jobs. Let the GM focus on his, which is the current team.

Reactions: CBJx614

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I want someone from a good team that is deep in the playoffs that doesn’t know much about the Jackets because we have been irrelevant in the playoffs and our draft picks have been such high draft picks that the person’s team didn’t need to scout our players like Fantilli, Jiricek, and KJ much. If they know anything about us it should be our recent free agent signings like Johnny Hockey, Gudbranson, and Severson because those guys were available to everyone. I want the new hire to have a decent sense of what is available in this draft overall but maybe not have focused on the guys available at #4.

I want them to have a decent idea of what kind of team they would like to build and why.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
And if it's Tulsky, for example, what Carolina's focus on the draft is and what Columbus's is would be wildly different. If it's Hunter, he's GM of an OHL team more than likely going to win the Mem Cup, so he wouldn't have had time to focus on scouting the rest of the world outside the OHL, Drummondville, and Moose Jaw. So sure, we want them to have a familiarity with the basics, but we have an amateur scouting staff for a reason, and there hasn't been any changes to that personnel. Let them do their jobs. Let the GM focus on his, which is the current team.

I guess we kinda agree, I don't think I understood the point of your initial post. But the word focus is tripping me up. They can focus on multiple things at once :dunno:

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I guess we kinda agree, I don't think I understood the point of your initial post. But the word focus is tripping me up. They can focus on multiple things at once :dunno:
carolina's draft philosophy is very analytics-driven, as is the jackets'.

in practice, they tend to target a slightly different type of player (guys who are extremely adept at zone exits/entries) but there's enough overlap that i don't think the actual boards differ all that much.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
What's unclear? Focus has a definition. Of course they can and should be aware of multiple things at once, but I did mean the word I used. The draft that happens immediately after their hire should not be the new GM's primary focus.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
What's unclear? Focus has a definition. Of course they can and should be aware of multiple things at once, but I did mean the word I used. The draft that happens immediately after their hire should not be the new GM's primary focus.

Well, what you mean is made more clear by adding the word "primary" so there you go.

I was only saying it's not a binary thing like I felt you originally made it out to be ("instead of"), and that I think they should have some knowledge of the players in the upcoming draft right now, even before an interview.

I'll bow out now, as I think we're like 98% in agreement and I don't need to quibble any more over the 2% :)

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Elvis has M-NTC and $5,400,000 cap hit still 3 seasons, total salary $6,000,000 in the next season. I doubt a new GM will be able to trade him even if we would take part of his cap hit. Only if we took an overpaid player, not sure we would need him. And that's still from a team that wouldn't be on Elvis' no trade list.

And I'm only mentioning Elvis' departure (include buyout), but it's not out of the question that the new GM will want to keep him. Management will want results from the new GM, most likely play in the PO, so he won't probably want to risk playing with only 25 year old Tarasov and 23 year old Greaves, who have played 55 games in NHL together.

That's why I think some young players can be traded.

DankoCBJ

Feb 19, 2022
My hunch is that we see moves on players like Laine, Texier, Boqvist, Bean, Provorov and Merzlikins.

Not all of them, but definitely some of them might get moved. And I have been rooting for many of these individuals but lets face it, we need to do something and a new GM usually leaves his own mark on the team.

Elvis might get bought out. Im ready to see what Tarasov-Greaves tandem can do. We are at a rock bottom, so can it get any worse anyway?

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Its because of the "management will want results" thing that PV is most likely a goner. If I'm in the GM chair I'm bringing in a guy I know can get results not nurturing yet one more novice along. Unless he really likes him in which case I question his judgment and what he's seen of PV. Hard to believe a positive impression was left after season one. Might be unfair but thats life on the carousel. Everyone potential guy has their short list at the ready.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023

8th most cap space about 23.5 mill in space

And all the RFA's are gonna get bridge deals so no extravagant deals coming this summer from that front. We are in no cap crunch might what some may think were we need to trade Laine/JG with pennies on the dollar...for reasons...

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
And all the RFA's are gonna get bridge deals so no extravagant deals coming this summer from that front. We are in no cap crunch might what some may think were we need to trade Laine/JG with pennies on the dollar...for reasons...
We sure about that ? Jarmo isn’t here to drop the hammer on RFA’s anymore.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We sure about that ? Jarmo isn’t here to drop the hammer on RFA’s anymore.
Presumably then in that case whatever GM we hire will have made critical evaluations of the roster, determined that certain players are more central to the clubs future, and then the "trade Laine/Gaudreau for pennies on the dollar" crowd will get their wish for the better.

Unless, of course, the new GM hire is someone deemed objectionable - in which case, the exact same moves will be a clear sign of even more mismanagement and Same Old Jackets that proves that we should have fired everybody and forced a sale to new ownership.

Cynical? Me? That seems like it'd be such a waste of time.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Presumably then in that case whatever GM we hire will have made critical evaluations of the roster, determined that certain players are more central to the clubs future, and then the "trade Laine/Gaudreau for pennies on the dollar" crowd will get their wish for the better.

Unless, of course, the new GM hire is someone deemed objectionable - in which case, the exact same moves will be a clear sign of even more mismanagement and Same Old Jackets that proves that we should have fired everybody and forced a sale to new ownership.

As long as certain posters here can feel righteous, I'm not sure what the problem is.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Many things will depend on Voronkov's decision because even Chinakhov said Dima might return to Russia. Also we must not forget Chinakhov's agent, Babaev is very greedy and tough. He takes advantage of the situation and his influence on Yegor is great. Although Yegor prefers to stay, anything can happen. I would not be sure that Marchenko will stay either. In short, I think that one of the pair Chinakhov/Marchenko may leave.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

I don’t know why you are more cynical about HF posters than the CBJ. Just look at the track record of the CBJ. Even a poster with whom I disagree with some things they post, we are probably in agreement on 80-90% of things Jackets related.

(Except that guy who kept saying we had a top 5 defense last year.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad