Confirmed with Link: Andlauer reaches deal for Ottawa Senators ownership

Oct 10, 2010
As long as we continue to spend money on the roster things will be a lot more easier down the road.

That’s the most important thing IMO.

Being cheap doesn’t work as we all know! When was the last time a team won the cup being cheap? Rarely happens.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Poulin also coached at the college level for a decade.

The same people complaining about best in class need to ask:

- was Cooper best in class when Tbay hired him,
- Was Brindamour best in class when Car hired him,
- Was Berube best in class when StL hired him,
- Was Montgomery best in class when Dallas or Boston hired him,
- Was Bowness best in class when Wpg hired him,
- Was Bednar best in class when Col hired him,
- Was Tochett best in class when Van hired him,
- Was Sullivan best in class when Pens hired him,
- Was Cassidy best in class when Bos hired him,
- Was Keefe best in class when Tor hired him,
- Was Gallant best in class when Florida hired him?

There are some guys like DeBoer, Maurice, Laviolette, McLellan and Tortorella who have been around forever, and are still top candidates, but alot of "best in class" guys are either only fairly recently considered such, or have been with the team that brought them into the league the entire time. It begs the question, do you really get best in class coaching by going with a guy established as such, or do you get if by finding a candidate that suits your needs, and have them develop that reputation by winning with you?
Great list...

Now who were the other people involved in hockey ops to help guide, insulate and provide counsel to these names, who had no experience or track record of success at the NHL level? This isn't about 1 person. It's the collective inexperience and lack of quality across all the most important levels of our organization's hierarchy. That's what is so startling and, quite frankly, unacceptable at this juncture.

Take Mike Sullivan, for example. The GM was Jim Rutherford...his assistant coaches were Jacques Martin and Rick Tocchet...there was experience surrounding him, providing him with wisdom and good counsel.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Great list...

Now who were the other people involved in hockey ops to help guide, insulate and provide counsel to these names, who had no experience or track record of success at the NHL level? This isn't about 1 person. It's the collective inexperience and lack of quality across all the most important levels of our organization's hierarchy. That's what is so startling and, quite frankly, unacceptable at this juncture.

Take Mike Sullivan, for example. The GM was Jim Rutherford...his assistant coaches were Jacques Martin and Rick Tocchet...there was experience surrounding him, providing him with wisdom and good counsel.
I'm sure you were first in line to call Rutherford best in class when the pens picked him up after he lead the hurricane/whalers franchise to 14 years out 18 missing the playoffs. You surely we a big advocate of Tochett and his coaching history when he joined the pens with 6 years experience as a coach, much of it with losing teams in Arz and TbL.

It kind of proves the point, all those guys built there reputations after getting hire by the pens with the exception of Martin.

I actually remember when the pens hired Rutherford, it wasn't met with the applause one might expect from a best in class hire.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I've already said it 100 f***ing times...

At least one person with consistent success at the NHL level. I don't need the most expensive hire and I don't need the biggest names on the market. I want people who have been there, have made good decisions in difficult times and have a track record of success AT THE NHL LEVEL. I don't give a flying f*** about the CHL/AHL/OHL or any of that bullshit. I want people who have shown they can get the job done in the NHL. You're making it sound like it's f***ing insane to ask for someone with a good resume at this level to be in a position of authority...
Why are you always so angry man.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Some folks are taking this way too personally.

Fans are allowed to be happy about the hire(s).

And fans are allowed to be disappointed about the hire(s).

And in either case, it's pretty obvious that folks have good reason to be wary of things. This organization has gone through a ton of ups and downs for pretty much our entire existence at this point. And there's been a lot of downs over the past decade. It is difficult to throw all that turmoil aside and put absolute trust in anyone. Even an owner that laid down a billion dollars for this mess.

The proof (either way) will be in the pudding over the next few years. And after the last decade, it feels like a really looooong time to wait.

Reactions: DrEasy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Some folks are taking this way too personally.

Fans are allowed to be happy about the hire(s).

And fans are allowed to be disappointed about the hire(s).

And in either case, it's pretty obvious that folks have good reason to be wary of things. This organization has gone through a ton of ups and downs for pretty much our entire existence at this point. And there's been a lot of downs over the past decade. It is difficult to throw all that turmoil aside and put absolute trust in anyone. Even an owner that laid down a billion dollars for this mess.

The proof (either way) will be in the pudding over the next few years. And after the last decade, it feels like a really looooong time to wait.

The Travis Green hiring reflects the real state of the franchise vs the Sens fans thinking a new owner means shinny new things.

Green is underwhelming because Sens fans have forgotten that winning is boring - when we were in our playoff years under Martin and winning divisions and the league Sens fans complained endlessly that Martin played boring hockey and the wins weren’t exciting.

Winning is boring. It’s tedious. Its underwhelming. It’s monotonous. It’s repetitive.

Green is the first man through the door and he didn’t come with flash and a showy Instagram account. He showed up as a boring monotone coach with his toolbox and work boots and Ottawa needs a ton more of that, and I assume the next 3-4 moves Staois makes fans will be underwhelmed and angry because winning isn’t talent and flash - it’s dudes like Green/Staois/Poulin who play boring low event hockey on repeat.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I'm sure you were first in line to call Rutherford best in class when the pens picked him up after he lead the hurricane/whalers franchise to 14 years out 18 missing the playoffs. You surely we a big advocate of Tochett and his coaching history when he joined the pens with 6 years experience as a coach, much of it with losing teams in Arz and TbL.

It kind of proves the point, all those guys built there reputations after getting hire by the pens with the exception of Martin.

I actually remember when the pens hired Rutherford, it wasn't met with the applause one might expect from a best in class hire.
TIL building a Stanley Cup winner doesn’t matter. I guess when you look at things that way…

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Why are you always so angry man.
I hate when people try to misrepresent the point I’m making or seem to intentionally misunderstand it.

It also feels insane that standing by the statement “we should have hired someone qualified, with a strong track record of success at the NHL level into one of the positions of authority” has been met with so much pushback. In this forum, of all places. Like I’m asking for something that exceeds any rational thought.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I hate when people try to misrepresent the point I’m making or seem to intentionally misunderstand it.

It also feels insane that standing by the statement “we should have hired someone qualified, with a strong track record of success at the NHL level into one of the positions of authority” has been met with so much pushback. In this forum, of all places. Like I’m asking for something that exceeds any rational thought.
That’s a great statement. Give some names.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

That’s a great statement. Give some names who would be appropriate in your opinion.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I thought sustained success was important? Guess not when it doesn't fit your narrative.
Lost Cup Finals 2002
Won Cup Finals 2006
Lost Conf. Finals 2009

Goes to Pittsburgh and wins back to back Cups in 2016 and 2017.

What is sustained success in your opinion? A team that wins the Cup every single year? What the f*** are we arguing about?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lost Cup Finals 2002
Won Cup Finals 2006
Lost Conf. Finals 2009

What is sustained success in your opinion? A team that wins the Cup every single year? What the f*** are we arguing about?
14 years of missing the playoffs out of 19 years sounds pretty consistent. Made the playoffs in consecutive seasons once from 1994-95 to 2013-14. Maybe you have a different definition of what sustained means?

I'll help you out, "continuing for an extended period or without interruption."

Yep, so good he's redefining the meaning of sustained.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
14 years of missing the playoffs out of 19 years sounds pretty consistent. Made the playoffs in consecutive seasons once from 1994-95 to 2013-14. Maybe you have a different definition of what sustained means?

I'll help you out, "continuing for an extended period or without interruption."

Yep, so good he's redefining the meaning of sustained.
Do you think I want a GM/HC/POHO who oversee a team that never misses the playoffs and wins the Cup every year? You're ascribing a pipedream to the actual thing I'm asking for.

But, hey, what does a tired ass organization like the Pittsburgh Penguins know about hiring, right?

Keep telling me you're not arguing for the sake of arguing while twisting yourself into every perceivable position to make a 3x Cup winning GM sound like a f***ing loser...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Do you think I want a GM/HC/POHO who oversee a team that never misses the playoffs and wins the Cup every year? You're ascribing a pipedream to the actual thing I'm asking for.

But, hey, what does a tired ass organization like the Pittsburgh Penguins know about hiring, right?

Keep telling me you're not arguing for the sake of arguing while twisting yourself into every perceivable position to make a 3x Cup winning GM sound like a f***ing loser...
I pointing out the fiction you're creating, Rutherford was not seen as a great experienced proven winning GM when hired by the pens, he was actually viewed pretty negatively.

These guys created their reputations with the pens, not before. Similarly, Waddell was a disaster in Atlanta, but is finding success in his role with the hurricanes, he eventually promoted an inexperienced HC in Brindamour, along with relatively inexperienced assistants in Daniels and Chenoweth, but everyone wants Brindamour now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $110.00