TV: 3 Body Problem

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Started it the other night, f***in awesome series. 3 episodes in so far, will probably bang out another 2-3 tonight.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Finished episode 5 last night. Jesus Christ what a mindbender.

Absolutely loving this show.
Definitely worth checking out, top notch sci-fi. Was going to do 1 a day, then I got so hooked, finished the last 3 up yesterday. There's also a post episode show for each one, with the guys who created it. It really helps with a lot of the sciencey stuff and other story lines make more sense. Just make sure you click on the right post-episode or you'll be spoiled.:nod:
Started watching these and it helps conceptualize things a bit better. Really intriguing stuff. Thanks for the heads up about this. Likely never would have noticed it on Netflix.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
He's certainly not the only who didn't care for it. I wouldn't call it horrible but it's not good either.

Reactions: Osprey

tool

Nov 5, 2022
Was it too confusing for you to understand?
No, the Netflix version is quite simplified. I love the books which are significantly more technical (so is the Chinese TV adaption). Do you think that the only reason someone would not like this show is because it is "complicated"?
Curious about your criticisms. What didn't you like about it?
I love the concept but I do not give accolades to this adaption for the general plot.

I'll try to avoid spoilers:

I found the acting to be average at best, and often times poor. I also felt that the chemistry between actors was pretty poor. There is a degree of trauma that would obviously be present, but was dealt with in the show in a superficial way.

The show did not really leave any mysteries to linger and build tension. There is almost a cosmic horror element that is completely missing from the show because it solves the mysteries quickly in order to move the plot along faster.

They "added" situations that ratcheted up the drama to a comical degree to me. It's hard to be specific without spoilers.

There is a situation near the end of the show where someone does something that they are then extremely guilty of and it is shown in the show as basically a throw away line of worry before the event, followed by taking shots after. I don't know how to compare this, but there is almost an element in the other materials where you feel like this person, while the event is unfolding, is losing their soul. I do not feel that in this version.

One of the main characters from the book was effectively fractured into 4 or so characters in the Netflix version. To me, this lead to these characters being underdeveloped with no payoff because all of the relationships were also underdeveloped. They were then put into situations simply to add drama without the proper character development to feel much attachment to the outcomes. You were "told" they are friends. You were "told" they are geniuses.

He's certainly not the only who didn't care for it. I wouldn't call it horrible but it's not good either.
I am judging it in comparison to other shows that I've watched, which I consider, on average, significantly better than 3 Body Problem. The last show that I watched that was worse was probably The Wheel of Time season 1.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I love the concept but I do not give accolades to this adaption for the general plot.

I'll try to avoid spoilers:

I found the acting to be average at best, and often times poor. I also felt that the chemistry between actors was pretty poor. There is a degree of trauma that would obviously be present, but was dealt with in the show in a superficial way.

The show did not really leave any mysteries to linger and build tension. There is almost a cosmic horror element that is completely missing from the show because it solves the mysteries quickly in order to move the plot along faster.

They "added" situations that ratcheted up the drama to a comical degree to me. It's hard to be specific without spoilers.

There is a situation near the end of the show where someone does something that they are then extremely guilty of and it is shown in the show as basically a throw away line of worry before the event, followed by taking shots after. I don't know how to compare this, but there is almost an element in the other materials where you feel like this person, while the event is unfolding, is losing their soul. I do not feel that in this version.

One of the main characters from the book was effectively fractured into 4 or so characters in the Netflix version. To me, this lead to these characters being underdeveloped with no payoff because all of the relationships were also underdeveloped. They were then put into situations simply to add drama without the proper character development to feel much attachment to the outcomes. You were "told" they are friends. You were "told" they are geniuses.
Solid analysis, and I can certainly get on board with a lot of what you're saying. Especially the

I'm still quite enjoying it so far, though. I have two episodes left and I'm not really so sure about where this is going here.

My wife bought the novel and I'd like to give it a read once we finish the series.

Again though, great write-up here. You should come in the Entertainment board discussions more often, buddy.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Finished season 1 last night. Was not really crazy about the way it wrapped up. Felt like about 40% of the final episode was just people trying to make cryptic comments and foreshadowing.

Also, I'd be really interested to hear some actual physicists talking about all that sciencey mumbo jumbo that's going on. I'm not so sure I can suspend my disbelief quite enough for all of this.

Overall, entertaining series, despite some of the more absurd points. Really not sure what's going on with Saul, seems like he's sort of being gaslit into this circumstance and it's kind of hilarious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad