GDT: 2024 NHL Draft (June 28 - June 29, Las Vegas Sphere)

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia

17. Washington Capitals: Michael Hage, C, Chicago Steel (USHL)
THW Writer: Lukas Bernasiewicz

A player who was a star in minor hockey for the Toronto Jr. Canadiens, Hage decided to take his talents south of the border and join the Chicago Steel of the USHL. Michael Hage did not see the ice much in his rookie season due to an injury he sustained in the summer of 2022 but once he returned near the end of the season, he scored 10 points in 13 regular season games and two points in six playoff games while also committing to the University of Michigan for the 2025-26 season. Hage struck back in his draft year after a full training camp and produced 75 points in 54 regular season games and four points in two playoff games.

Hage will need some time to develop which is why Washington picking him at this spot would be perfect. The Capitals took a step forward this year in making the playoffs but the team is not in any rush to win a Stanley Cup just yet. The team will be waiting on recent first-round pick Ryan Leonard for at least another year and also have 2023 second-round pick Andrew Cristall in the pipeline. Alex Ovechkin isn’t getting any younger and the Capitals need to think of a future where he is no longer on the team anymore. Adding Hage to an already promising offensive prospect pool will do wonders for the franchise after Ovechkin retires.

JayBeagleFanAccount

May 30, 2018
Washington, DC
hopefully one of catton/helenius/yakemchuk falls to us. if not; id like to see chernyshov or connelly if we go forward or freij/kiviharju if we go defense. brandsegg-nygård would be acceptable as well but i dont think he has any kind of x factor. can we just avoid boring low ceiling/high basement guys.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
hopefully one of catton/helenius/yakemchuk falls to us. if not; id like to see chernyshov or connelly if we go forward or freij/kiviharju if we go defense. brandsegg-nygård would be acceptable as well but i dont think he has any kind of x factor. can we just avoid boring low ceiling/high basement guys.
Sure hope so! Need to keep swinging for the fences even if we miss a pick or two. Gotta get some talent up in this pipeline.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Caps do seem to attach themselves to the highly rated pre-season guys and get them as sliders (Lapierre, Miroshnichenko)

So Jiricek makes sense but I also think that approach is generally pretty risky. It looks like both picks are looking decent for us when we went that route but I wouldn’t mind taking the Riser this year.

Reactions: jtree

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia

17. Washington Capitals (Pick by Wheeler): Michael Hage, C, Chicago Steel

This is where things start to open up in the draft. The Caps’ pool is strong at wing but could use a boost at both C and D. I like Hage’s skating, length, skill level and premium position for them in this range over the available D. He’s probably going to go a little lower than this on draft day but I’m a big believer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad