2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

Who do we take?

• Total voters

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
He also screams Yzerman, so he's unlikely to get past 15.

No way San Jose trades down from 14.

So if you're making a play to move up to 13, MBN is no longer BPA. You'd have better options.
Do you mean Yzerman will draft him ? He certainly plays nothing like Stevie did.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I'd be happy with either of the Norwegians at 20th oa or Michael Hage. Liam Greentree is another possibility, but I don't think the Hawks like him for his skating issues

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
#2Cayden Lindstrom...Haws need a big physical 2way 2C..

I am not sold on Levshunov beibg that special plus he is blocked from developing into a 1RD by Seth Jones for 6 mire sesdon..You donnot waste the #2overal on just a 2RD.

Plus adding Lindstrom sets the tone Hawjs want to go more physical..

#20..Beckett Sennicke if he lasts to #20 ...GOOD SIZE AND SKILL..and plays 200feet.
If he is off before#20 then :

If they target forwards again:

Yegor Surin..can play all 3 forward positions but I can see him as Anthony he makes an interesting winger.

This is a lot higher than tmost of the rankings..but he is probably the most tantalizing potential steal of thecdrDt give how young he us (August 2006 birth date and already nearly 6'2192...
The scouting reports sY he has speed to blow by defenders plus he us a great forechecker and backchecker...passion with an edge..a trouble'mKi g heat seeking missile..One scoutcm says one if the hardest hitters he has ever scouted.He also has a goid shot.

I just think he may be a riser who coukd goofc the board before #34 ...IF we took someone else at #20 and he us tgere at #34of course grab hom then...but if we do not land Sennicke I want this guy as a forwardcat #30 given his youth his size already and his physical nasty style.

The Hawks cannot be bjustxa bunch of smalk easily pushedxaroubf cannotcwin puck battlesxtyoes. WE GOTTA add size with sjikk plus a kit more compete and nasty physicality up front to make room for tge smalk skilkex guys lije Bedard and Nazar to have more space to fly around and operate more with the puck by getting the puck back off posrssion battles.

This is obvious to anyone.

So JD must address this early...first and 2nd rounds.. not leave it to Longshot in mid to late rounds.

If we ended up somehow with Lindtsrom+Sennicke +Surin that woukd be a bonanza epic home run the dynamics of tge group we want to assemble.

If wectook Lindstrom at #2tgen I cannotxsee adding anotger cebter in roubdcone ..

If we took a RD at #2(theLevshunov love I just cannot justify given tge $9.5 1RD block) then I can see KDvgoubg Center with tge #29 and taking Michael Hage if Sennicke already taken offvtge board.

If we do tske 3 forwards with #2#20 abd #34 then I can see drafting RD with our next 2 2nd rounders.. I coukd see KD packaging one if our 2nds and one of our 3rds to move up to another earlier 2nd or late first to get a RDxm we want

However Ivalsovrealky kijexwgat I see out of Norway KD Stian Solberg..Goid size at 6'2200 and very physical...goiod skater ..also good outlet passer and sticks on his checks ...I think he is impressing a lotvof scouts at the WHC.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Artamonov is an elite playmaker. You should check him out.

He also plays on the same team as Silayev.

They'd be great picks at #2 and #20.

Don't have to worry about mismanagement or poor coaching either. Igor Larionov actually gives them minutes and cares about their development.

Their contracts both end in 2026 too. Can bring them over at the same time.

If Chernyshov is there at #20 he is better pick

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
So looking at potential trade partners to move up from #20 and Philly stands out to me. They are pretty set at RD with Ristolainen signed 3 more years, spent a 1st on Bonk, Attard looking like at least something at the NHL level, and traded for Drysdale, and Grans. At 12, I expect all the LHD of Buium, Silayev, and Dickinson to be off the board leaving no LHD anywhere near worth using #12 on and hoping the Flyers are left with no forward they love OR a cluster of 5 or 6 they rate equally. If Yakemchuk is on the board at 12 (and we used #2 on Demidov) I would use #20 & #34 and not look back. That is an overpay by about a 3rd round pick, but I think these trades generally have to favor the team giving the higher pick. Philly is not likely overly interested in Yakemchuk or Jiricek (who will be 2 of the 8 picks taken between 12 and 20).

Philly also makes sense from a broader package beyond just a pick swap. They are pretty thin at LHD and we have all of Kaiser, Allen, DelMastro, Phillips vying for 1 open LHD spot or 1 RHD playing off hand spot with Vlassic grabing one spot and Korch likely to solidfy another LHD. You got dead cap like Peterson/Atkinson for a year or Ellis for 3 (where he can be LTIR if you need to that last year when Bedard gets signed) and guys like Farabee/Frost that seem to not necessarily be Torts guys (or were signed by &/or drafted by Fletcher).

#12 + Farabee + Grans + 1 of Peterson/Atkinson/Ellis contracts for #20 +#34 + #54 + Kaiser + Donato

We end up with Demidov, Yakemchuk plus whatever we grab at 62, 67, & 72 in this draft. Grans gives us a RHD that can sink or swim while we wait the 1.5-2 years for Rinzel to get here/Murphy's deal to go away. Farabee an under 25 guy with some NHL pedigree to try to get better now that can still help after we are better. Peterson or Atkinson or Ellis LTIR effect nothing finacial the Hawks will need to do. Grans for Kaiser (or DelMastro Or Allen) addresses prospect weakness from strength for each. Donato seems like he would be a Torts favorite at 40% the cap of Farabee who does not appear to be a Torts guy.

Last edited:

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Levshunov said he grew an inch in a recent interview so he's about 6'3 now.

Demidov is supposedly 6'0-6'1 now. We'll see during the official measures but I also wouldn't put it past these kids either.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Levshunov said he grew an inch in a recent interview so he's about 6'3 now.

Demidov is supposedly 6'0-6'1 now. We'll see during the official measures but I also wouldn't put it past these kids either.
I keep seeing all of the Datsyuk comparisons for Demidov in hands and D and I don't understand how this pick isn't a no-brainer.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
@chi_prospects ran by @wallymaz35 stated today: from what he heard they are probably leaning to Levshunov right now. But as final meetings get u nderway and the final list is put together that could change. he is has some connections

Reactions: d rake

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Could Chicago do something like trade #2(Leshunov)+ down to Columbus for #4+Jiricek since rumor is he’s dissatisfied with the org, then draft Lindstrom/Demidov and the brother of Jiricek at 20?

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Hawks are not going to telegraph taking Demidov at this point in the process. Get eyes on him at his agents showcase thing, put a tape measure to him, have your dr's check him out and then spend the next several weeks debating is what actually will happen.

If anything, the Hawks have every reason to pump the narrative that they are leaning Levshunov because Anaheim is probably not overly interested in forwards with how they have drafted and what they have and a RHD like Lev is an obvious fit for their needs. Tell the world you want Lev and see if you spook Anaheim into paying something to move up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad