2024 Draft Discussion

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Here’s a highlight reel of Luchanko. He reminds me a bit of Lombardi. Maybe a bit more skill. Not sure what his ceiling is. Love the motor but would we want to use a 1st on him?

I wish he was more toolsy or dynamic. He actually reminds me a lot of JT Compher there. He will make the obvious pass to an open guy, and he has a good shot if he's open, but he won't create those options. He protects the puck well, but doesn't seem like a high end puck handler to me. His skating seems fine, but probably not a rush offense type guy at the pro level.

It makes me think of when people call Danielson or Kasper future 3rd line centers. For me, this is what a real third line center looks like.

Also, I'm categorically against people being named Jett. Other than Joan Jett.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I wish he was more toolsy or dynamic. He actually reminds me a lot of JT Compher there. He will make the obvious pass to an open guy, and he has a good shot if he's open, but he won't create those options. He protects the puck well, but doesn't seem like a high end puck handler to me. His skating seems fine, but probably not a rush offense type guy at the pro level.

It makes me think of when people call Danielson or Kasper future 3rd line centers. For me, this is what a real third line center looks like.

Had not seen him play prior to the U18s, but I thought he was pretty impressive at the U18s.

Brock Otten who covers the OHL is a fan of his, this was his writeup on him.
5. Jett Luchanko - Center - Guelph Storm
I recently posted the preliminary media/scout poll for 2024 and I was actually quite shocked to see how many of my contemporaries had Luchanko outside of the top ten. This tells me that he's being massively undervalued in the amateur scouting community right now. He's transformed himself from an excellent high energy checker as a rookie to a dynamic playmaker and offensive catalyst as a sophomore. Matt Poitras making the NHL this year had to have been such a blow to the psyche of Guelph players to start the year, but Luchanko was like "hold on, I got you." I love to see that from a younger player, stepping up to put a team on his back. Luchanko's got the speed, the tenacity, the skill, and the IQ to be a top six center at the NHL level. He's also a committed two-way player and has kept up the strong off puck play that he exhibited last year, despite being counted upon to be an offensive play driver. Really the only two things missing from Luchanko's game is a high end shot (it's a weakness) and strength to win battles consistently. He can be easily pushed off the puck/knocked off stride. But what I love is that it doesn't deter him from trying to work between the dots. He's like Thomas the Tank Engine. Once the strength and conditioning improves, he's going to be even more dangerous because we'll see him playing through contact.

Hockeyprospect.com also had him top 20 on their ranking back in January, they may have him higher on their final list.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You cold hard bitch.

Jet_-_Get_Born.jpg

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

I can appreciate that sentiment. I like the tools he brings but just looking at the highlight reels makes me think they aren’t what I would consider high end.

However, he’s doing this while really small right now. If he gets stronger I can see him having a better success rate at breaking through coverage and getting into the soft spots. Maybe more of a Yanni Gourde instead of JT Compher.

Also I think the name is badass. With a name like Jett there is no way possible he busts and ends up working at a cell phone kiosk. This blows the name test out of the water.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
MBN's name is long enough that whoever drafts him could probably slip a couple more players names in there and nobody would notice so that helps :sarcasm:
Ahh, I see you're having a BOGO today on draft picks! Could you please sign me up for one of those?

Of course! Just complete the coupon code field during the ordering process, and you'll be all set.

Perfect! What's today's code?

It's Brandsegg-Nygård.

(customer slowly backs away)

Is there something wrong? You just need to enter Brandsegg-Nygård in the coupon code field...

Jeez! Look at the time. I gotta get to bed. I still gotta brush my teeth, feed the hog, still got some homework to do, still got those bills to pay, wash the car...

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Ahh, I see you're having a BOGO today on draft picks! Could you please sign me up for one of those?

Of course! Just complete the coupon code field during the ordering process, and you'll be all set.

Perfect! What's today's code?

It's Brandsegg-Nygård.

(customer slowly backs away)

Is there something wrong? You just need to enter Brandsegg-Nygård in the coupon code field...

Jeez! Look at the time. I gotta get to bed. I still gotta brush my teeth, feed the hog, still got some homework to do, still got those bills to pay, wash the car...
Hey, it was a joke, kinda funny but not great. Remember when the nhl tried to give carolina the wrong Aho.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
i know a lot of us wanted stankoven (myself included) but guessing most here didnt have johnston on their radar on the day of the draft.
Stankoven looks good so far and no I didn't see Johnston even in my way off peripheral vision. I absolutely miss nill on our draft team, but he has been good, but less than perfect in Dallas. Valerie Nikuskin at 10 and then letting him walk to the avs where he has been pretty good, was solid for the avs. Denise gurianov and ty dellandrea have not been solid top 15 picks. Loved nill, but I'll stick with Stevie. (Sorry, couldn't find the original lets be nill post.)

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Iginla and Senecke made their way into the top 15 on his most recent list despite not being there previously.

Again I think this is a case where HF is valuing the player more than everywhere else seems to. But as McKenzie pointed out, there is not much consensus with this draft, and it only takes one team to like him to get him into the top 15.

I'll also be curious to see how many defenseman end up actually going top 15. I personally think about half the top 15 should be defenseman. We will see if that is the direction teams actually go.

I would say getting limited viewings of a player and having them miss basically a whole year of development and then still getting a good player out of that is pretty damn fortunate... but to each their own.
But, definitely didn't know about the camp thing, that surely gave them a but of a heads-up.

Didn't Arizona lose picks for having workouts with players pre-draft? You wouldn't think NHL teams would be allowed to host pre-draft camps.
This is an excellent point, but maybe covid related?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,050.00