Prospect Info: 2024 Memorial Cup (Beck): May 24-June 2nd | TSN, RDS, NHLN, TSN.ca, RDS.ca

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Not very creative. His upside is Eller, but only if we're lucky.
For a second round pick, except in rare cases (Hutson), you can't ask for much more.

But I question the assessment that he's not creative. I watched him often this year and Saginaw didn't use him on the half boards on their power play because he lacks vision. Beck will never be an offensive superstar but he will be a significant upgrade to our bottom two lines. He provides the quality depth and versatility that all contenders need.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
For a second round pick, except in rare cases (Hutson), you can't ask for much more.

But I question the assessment that he's not creative. I watched him often this year and Saginaw didn't use him on the half boards on their power play because he lacks vision. Beck will never be an offensive superstar but he will be a significant upgrade to our bottom two lines. He provides the quality depth and versatility that all contenders need.
Agreed. The question is whether he becomes elite 4th line Chore a solid 3rd line C.

Personally, if you're right that he is not creative,I would prefer him to become an elite, defensive 4th line, F/O C when the game is on the line.

I want my 3rd line to be a two-way, scoring line that has more creativity, offensively, than not.

Montreal will align good forwards, but not elite forwards, IMO. To be competitive long term, a playoff team with a chance to go far in the playoffs, the Habs will have to depend on scoring depth and a strong puck-moving D-Corps, with more time spent in the O-zone than the D-zone.

By being present, offensively, in the opposing zone, for extended periods of time, not only will it provide scoring opportunities, but it also makes for the best D. It's hard for opponents to score from within their own D-zone.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Agreed. The question is whether he becomes elite 4th line Chore a solid 3rd line C.

Personally, if you're right that he is not creative,I would prefer him to become an elite, defensive 4th line, F/O C when the game is on the line.

I want my 3rd line to be a two-way, scoring line that has more creativity, offensively, than not.

Montreal will align good forwards, but not elite forwards, IMO. To be competitive long term, a playoff team with a chance to go far in the playoffs, the Habs will have to depend on scoring depth and a strong puck-moving D-Corps, with more time spent in the O-zone than the D-zone.

By being present, offensively, in the opposing zone, for extended periods of time, not only will it provide scoring opportunities, but it also makes for the best D. It's hard for opponents to score from within their own D-zone.
As I said, I've watched Beck closely this year and I can say that his ability to shoot and score off the rush is largely unmatched in the OHL. His release is deceptive and his shot is high NHL level. Goalies rarely react. The puck either hits the goalie, misses the net or he scores. He will also be deadly on the power play and I can see in two years Hutson looking for him just as Parekh now does at Saginaw.

As he matures, and gets both stronger and faster, I think Beck will score a lot more goals than many here are suggesting.

This is no mere defensive center.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
As I said, I've watched Beck closely this year and I can say that his ability to shoot and score off the rush is largely unmatched in the OHL. His release is deceptive and his shot is high NHL level. Goalies rarely react. The puck either hits the goalie, misses the net or he scores. He will also be deadly on the power play and I can see in two years Hutson looking for him just as Parekh now does at Saginaw.

As he matures and gets booth stronger and faster, I think Beck will score a lot more goals than may are suggesting. This is no mere defensive center.
How will he be deadly on the PP if he lacks creativity as you stated. Just as a shooting option?

Great if what you say in bold is true! Then, he could be that 3rd line C I am looking for?

Beck's speed is a major asset if the bolded part also proves true at the NHL level.

For such a smart person, I fail to understand how he would lack creativity?

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021

I think MSL and Nicholas will be able to help develop his "offensive creativity". They'll help him "see" things that he's probably never thought of. He's a smart guy, so I'm confident he'll develop that IQ after a few years of pro development.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
How will he be deadly on the PP if he lacks creativity as you stated. Just as a shooting option?

Great if what you say in bold is true! Then, he could be that 3rd line C I am looking for?

Beck's speed is a major asset if the bolded part also proves true at the NHL level.

For such a smart person, I fail to understand how he would lack creativity?

Maybe I wasn't clear. What I wrote in response to an earlier post that claimed Beck was not creative was as follows:

But I question the assessment that he's not creative. I watched him often this year and Saginaw didn't use him on the half boards on their power play because he lacks vision.
For the record, Beck has a level of creativity that is more than enough for him to be effective at the NHL level.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Didn't know where to post this but Pierre Dagenais' son Maddox is ranked #1 for the next QMJHL Draft.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
total playoff games? Suzuki played in 58 playoff games.

Here's the OHL record for playoff games among U-20 skaters, Beck's 49 games are tied for 111th OA all time with Ty Nelson (Kraken)

I was totally wrong on that one

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Maybe I wasn't clear. What I wrote in response to an earlier post that claimed Beck was not creative was as follows:

But I question the assessment that he's not creative. I watched him often this year and Saginaw didn't use him on the half boards on their power play because he lacks vision.
For the record, Beck has a level of creativity that is more than enough for him to be effective at the NHL level.
I've read that a few times and it sounds like you are saying that Beck lacks vision. Is that your assertion? If not, the quoted paragraph is not so clear.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I've read that a few times and it sounds like you are saying that Beck lacks vision. Is that your assertion? If not, the quoted paragraph is not so clear.
Double negatives are tricky. Bottom line, Beck has more than enough vision and creativity to play and succeed in the NHL.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
@salbutera brought up that Beck might be "a Danault type that keeps progressing".

Sure, he might really blossom, and I hope he would, but my point is that he starts behind 2013-era Danault.

I'm not sure that's even the case.

D+1: 1.14 in the Q vs. 1.10 P/GP in the O

D+2: 1.51 P/GP in the Q (10th most) vs. a 1.42 P/GP in the O (11th most) is pretty negligible, especially since Beck scores at a higher rate.

Judging based on points is very ill advised (especially across leagues and time periods), but even if you did there's no meaningful difference.

Reactions: montreal

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Double negatives are tricky. Bottom line, Beck has more than enough vision and creativity to play and succeed in the NHL.

The problem was not the double negative. In fact that double negative was the only thing stopping me from reading your SECOND sentence in the same way @Harry Kakalovich did. FACT: "Owen Sound did not use Beck on the half-wall..."
REASON: "...because he lacked creativity."

Easy straight-forward option:
"Owen Sound used Beck on the half-wall so they must have thought of him as creative."

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
The problem was not the double negative. In fact that double negative was the only thing stopping me from reading your SECOND sentence in the same way @Harry Kakalovich did. FACT: "Owen Sound did not use Beck on the half-wall..."
REASON: "...because he lacked creativity."

Easy straight-forward option:
"Owen Sound used Beck on the half-wall so they must have thought of him as creative."
Thank you for your instructions. I haven't been schooled in over 50 years.

In my defence, I would have assumed (hoped) that my preamble: But I question the assessment that he's not creative, would have offered any reader a guide to what my opinion was as to Beck's level of creativity. It would appear that, that assumption was misplaced.

I have watched over 70 of Beck's games during the past two years and while I have some concerns as to his lapses in intensity and his overall conditioning/stamina, I remain confident that Beck possesses the skating, shooting and creativity to play in the NHL. And play at a high level.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Thank you for your instructions. I haven't been schooled in over 50 years.

In my defence, I would have assumed (hoped) that my preamble: But I question the assessment that he's not creative, would have offered any reader a guide to what my opinion was as to Beck's level of creativity. It would appear that, that assumption was misplaced.

I have watched over 70 of Beck's games during the past two years and while I have some concerns as to his lapses in intensity and his overall conditioning/stamina, I remain confident that Beck possesses the skating, shooting and creativity to play in the NHL. And play at a high level.
You're not wrong.

While I was briefly unsure due to the wording of the second sentence, your first one convinced me you thought his creativity was fine.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
You're not wrong.

While I was briefly unsure due to the wording of the second sentence, your first one convinced me you thought his creativity was fine.
Good. I thought that I was losing my drafting skills. But I’m never too old to learn.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Better skater than Dvorak, and probably better compete level, but not more skilled.

I think he is very much like an Evans with a better shot.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I think he'll be better defensively than Dvorak who is seriously over rated in that department and be a better pker, but points wise, it's probably similar, 35 points. Hopefully Beck will continue to upgrade his game. If he can become a Lehkonen type work alcoholic with a good shot & net presence I'll take that too.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'm not sure that's even the case.

D+1: 1.14 in the Q vs. 1.10 P/GP in the O

D+2: 1.51 P/GP in the Q (10th most) vs. a 1.42 P/GP in the O (11th most) is pretty negligible, especially since Beck scores at a higher rate.

Judging based on points is very ill advised (especially across leagues and time periods), but even if you did there's no meaningful difference.

The meaningful difference is in the playoffs. Not as many openings for Beck who is good in open ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad