Speculation: 2023-24 Sharks Roster Discussion

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think you could squeeze Bordeleau into this year's coming line up but I think he'll end up in a trade package sooner than later.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I think you could squeeze Bordeleau into this year's coming line up but I think he'll end up in a trade package sooner than later.
Felt like his production was better than it was in the NHL this year until I looked at it again. I think he's a surefire AHL guy to start the year or added as a bonus piece to a trade. 11 points in 27 games isn't going to force a spot in the NHL to start 2024-25.

Reactions: Star Platinum

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Felt like his production was better than it was in the NHL this year until I looked at it again. I think he's a surefire AHL guy to start the year or added as a bonus piece to a trade. 11 points in 27 games isn't going to force a spot in the NHL to start 2024-25.
If we can't include Bordeleau in a trade before the QO deadline I'd let him walk.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
If we can't include Bordeleau in a trade before the QO deadline I'd let him walk.
He's waiver exempt and 22 years old. Not super high on him, but that would be asininely poor asset management. What rationale would there be for non-tendering him when he can go be a top line player on the Cuda and further develop? Worst case scenario, you're making the Cuda more competitive.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
He's waiver exempt and 22 years old. Not super high on him, but that would be asininely poor asset management. What rationale would there be for non-tendering him when he can go be a top line player on the Cuda and further develop? Worst case scenario, you're making the Cuda more competitive.
It's not poor asset management if no other team wants him. Besides we need to open jersey #17 up for Macklin.

Bordeleau isn't even that good of an AHL player. Bystedt, Cardwell and Graf are more important prospects to develop at this point. Gushchin is already signed for next season so I would prioritize him over Bordeleau as well unless he bolts for Russia. Robins and Wiesblatt are also signed and they have legit bottom six potential unlike Bordeleau. Coe has more impressive tools and started showing signs of life late in the season.

There is no longer a place for Bordeleau in this organization and he deserves the chance to earn a spot elsewhere.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Vlasic is long cooked and deserves to play in the AHL. If money is all he cares about then, let him make that money alongside players of the skill level he’s at.

I don’t believe the sharks owe him anymore than the 7 mil he will make for just showing up. If the AHL pushes him to retire good, he should’ve retired years ago.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
It's not poor asset management if no other team wants him. Besides we need to open jersey #17 up for Macklin.

Bordeleau isn't even that good of an AHL player. Bystedt, Cardwell and Graf are more important prospects to develop at this point. Gushchin is already signed for next season so I would prioritize him over Bordeleau as well unless he bolts for Russia. Robins and Wiesblatt are also signed and they have legit bottom six potential unlike Bordeleau. Coe has more impressive tools and started showing signs of life late in the season.

There is no longer a place for Bordeleau in this organization and he deserves the chance to earn a spot elsewhere.
What part of Robins' 5'10 176 lb frame makes you think he has bottom 6 potential? What part of Wiesblatt (you know, the one that we literally loaned to another AHL team or played in the ECHL) makes you think there is anything there?

Of all of your hyperbole, this one is assuredly up there (won't even get into the amount of trash you've talked on literally every player on your list in past years).

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007

I already ordered my Celebrini 71 so we really need to keep Bords.

But in all seriousness, I agree fully with this post. There just isn't space for Bords. Use him in a trade package with one of our D for a better roster D dump coming back. We don't need yet another average to small winger in the pipeline, I'd rather make that bet with Graf, Eklund, Smith, or any of the other newer C prospects that might end up W.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
What part of Robins' 5'10 176 lb frame makes you think he has bottom 6 potential? What part of Wiesblatt (you know, the one that we literally loaned to another AHL team or played in the ECHL) makes you think there is anything there?

Of all of your hyperbole, this one is assuredly up there (won't even get into the amount of trash you've talked on literally every player on your list in past years).
Dude you literally said yourself in the post I was replying to that Bordeleau is redundant. But now it's hyperbole to want him gone (preferably via trade)?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I wonder what Kaapo Kakko would cost on a buy-low scenario. I haven't watched him closely, but at what cost could he be an interesting reclamation project?
Kakko would be a solid bottom-6 option. I doubt the Rangers would let him go for cheap though, if only because he was a former 2nd overall pick.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
My #1 priority moving forward is acquiring a legitimate #1 defenseman. Failing that, I'm looking at getting guys around Celebrini that will help him develop. A couple veteran wingers at his side would be tremendous and I think my ideal is Stamkos and Duchene. For Smith, I think the best idea is to get a 3C that can slide to wing if Smith just gets it quickly enough. Someone like Adam Henrique seems to make sense for that. After that, you're just looking at 4th liners and then whatever the hell one wants to do with our awful blue line.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
What do you all think of 12th overall + Cal Petersen for 14th overall? Basically move up two spots and pick up a 3.8M contract for one year. I think one of the big 6 D would be there.

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
What do you all think of 12th overall + Cal Petersen for 14th overall? Basically move up two spots and pick up a 3.8M contract for one year. I think one of the big 6 D would be there.

if Parekh isn't gone by then then yes. Otherwise trading up to 10 with NJ would be more ideal.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
With all of the talk about improving the Sharks’ defensive situation, there’s one name that’s been dancing around in the back of my mind for a while now: Mikhail Sergachev.

There was all that discourse on here about Cernak a few weeks ago. Now there’s mention of Perbix. I’ve wondering about Sergachev, especially since the McDonagh trade. But I didn’t think it was worth bringing up.

Now today, I was listening to the most recent episode of The Chris Johnston Show podcast, CJ brought up Sergachev.

They were discussing the McDonagh trade and Stamkos contract talks, and CJ said that he’s thought about Sergachev as a potential cap causality/trade chip for Tampa. He also mentioned that Hedman is eligible for a contract extension on July 1st and that he fully expects him to sign a new deal to stay in Tampa.

Some facts:

Sergachev is turning 26 next month.
He was the ninth overall pick in 2016.
He’s signed for seven more season at $8.5m per.
He’s won two Stanley Cups with Tampa.
He’s coming off of fracturing his tibia and fibula in his left leg.
He has an NTC (so this all might be moot).

Tampa is currently without a pick in the first three rounds(!) of the upcoming draft. They also don’t have their first or second round picks in 2025. Scott Wheeler’s most recent prospect pool rankings on The Athletic had Tampa at #29.

So, what do you think, is Sergachev a quality piece to rebuild the Sharks defense around? If so, what would your offer be?

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
With all of the talk about improving the Sharks’ defensive situation, there’s one name that’s been dancing around in the back of my mind for a while now: Mikhail Sergachev.

There was all that discourse on here about Cernak a few weeks ago. Now there’s mention of Perbix. I’ve wondering about Sergachev, especially since the McDonagh trade. But I didn’t think it was worth bringing up.

Now today, I was listening to the most recent episode of The Chris Johnston Show podcast, CJ brought up Sergachev.

They were discussing the McDonagh trade and Stamkos contract talks, and CJ said that he’s thought about Sergachev as a potential cap causality/trade chip for Tampa. He also mentioned that Hedman is eligible for a contract extension on July 1st and that he fully expects him to sign a new deal to stay in Tampa.

Some facts:

Sergachev is turning 26 next month.
He was the ninth overall pick in 2016.
He’s signed for seven more season at $8.5m per.
He’s won two Stanley Cups with Tampa.
He’s coming off of fracturing his tibia and fibula in his left leg.
He has an NTC (so this all might be moot).

Tampa is currently without a pick in the first three rounds(!) of the upcoming draft. They also don’t have their first or second round picks in 2025. Scott Wheeler’s most recent prospect pool rankings on The Athletic had Tampa at #29.

So, what do you think, is Sergachev a quality piece to rebuild the Sharks defense around? If so, what would your offer be?
I wouldn't touch Sergachev. Too old, injury concerns, big contract.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I think Tampa would rather let Stamkos walk than be forced to trade Sergachev for under market value to become cap compliant.

also LOL at a 26 year old being "too old".

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
The injury concerns and the price would be too big to go for Sergachev. He could get his easily get his deserved #1D spot here. It's crazy what depth Tampa had those championship years on defence.
But I like the idea about looking at defencemen that seem untouchable, but could be approached at the right price because of too much logjam, injuries or etc.
Devon Toews to Colorado situation comes to mind. We could speed up the rebuild with that kind of a deal and I feel that with track record MG has with going for defencemen on the market, he is probably turning every stone as we speak to find one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad