2023-24 Jack Adams Award finalists: Rick Bowness, Andrew Brunette, Rick Tocchet | Winner: Rick Tocchet

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Goalies make coaches look good. Good defense make goalies look good. Not sure how a coach can be nominated for the Adams due to great defense and the goalie's a shoe-in for the Vezina. Pick one.

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
Goalies make coaches look good. Good defense make goalies look good. Not sure how a coach can be nominated for the Adams due to great defense and the goalie's a shoe-in for the Vezina. Pick one.
If the team plays a system that takes advantage of a strong defense and a good goalie, is that not a testament to the coach?

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
I've started to think that the best coach should be voted at the time frame of best GM which I think is when the top four teams are set.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Jets Difference from last year. 95 to 110. 15 points. Jets playoff time for the past 9 years
Preds difference from last year 92 to 99 7 points. Playoff team 8 out of the last 9 years
Canucks difference from last year. 83 to 109 26 points. no playoff appearance since 2015

yeeeeeaaaaah.... no, this one is Tocchets.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Nashville was the land of career revival this year, with players like Forsberg, Nyquist, Novak, Sissons, Sherwood, McCarron and Smith all having career years. My vote goes to Brunette.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Knob is 50-19-5 since joining a pathetic Oilers team. IN my Homer opinion he is the best coach in NHL and will prove it in round 2 when he goes against one of the 2 supposed finalists.

Tocchet is not a sure fire where coaches of DAL, NYR, CAR and FLA have been just as impressive.
Didn't woody lead that pathetic team to it's best season points% wise ?
It's hilarious that people give this knob (pun intended) any credit when all he did was basically go back to a zone defense and not man to man.
Why woody thought those slubs could play it in the first place, only he knows.

When #97 finally moves on people will realize that as much of a whiner as he is, he is so good he can carry a team in the regular season. His ability to make the players around him stars is pretty damn impressive, guys like Bouchard, Hyman and Drai are half the players they are without him.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
This award never made sense to me when coaches like Bednar, Cooper, and Sullivan have never won it yet Bylsma and Hartley have.

Reactions: pantherbot

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Didn't woody lead that pathetic team to it's best season points% wise ?
It's hilarious that people give this knob (pun intended) any credit when all he did was basically go back to a zone defense and not man to man.
Why woody thought those slubs could play it in the first place, only he knows.

When #97 finally moves on people will realize that as much of a whiner as he is, he is so good he can carry a team in the regular season. His ability to make the players around him stars is pretty damn impressive, guys like Bouchard, Hyman and Drai are half the players they are without him.
By this logic whatever Tocchet does he should not win coach of the year ever again.. neither should the next VAN coach.

Knob turned around a bottom team and turned it into a contender. The team tucked with McDavid on it. If only 'Basically going back to zone defense'
was that easy. Pretty sure Woodcroft tried everything and then some more.

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
Lavi coaches the Rangers to the Presidents Trophy, team record in wins and points. Takes his sixth franchise into the SC playoffs. How many had all that happening at the start of the season? Deserved to be recognized.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
This award never made sense to me when coaches like Bednar, Cooper, and Sullivan have never won it yet Bylsma and Hartley have.
If your team is good and has been good for a while, the coach is unlikely to get it.

Seems reserved for coaches of teams that made sudden single year improvements that weren’t expected.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Genuine question, when was the last time we saw a coach get nominated in back-to-back years?

Seems like the Jack Adams usually ends up going to whichever new(ish) coach saw the biggest improvement in their team's record.
Exclusively goes to whichever team had the biggest jump in points these days. Not sure if there was more nuance to it in the past?

It's funny now that they just award it for the biggest jump in points as its usually heavily luck driven and the award winner typically gets fired within a year or two after winning.

Reactions: LT

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
If your team is good and has been good for a while, the coach is unlikely to get it.

Seems reserved for coaches of teams that made sudden single year improvements that weren’t expected.
I get that's how it's currently awarded.

It just doesn't make sense when some of the best coaches in the league haven't won it.

Reactions: MoreMogilny

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

outrageous Carbery is not in the discussion.

Why? Caps barely made the playoffs where the bubble teams didnt need much to make it in the East unlike the west where you need high 90s in points to make it. Bowness and Tocchet deserve the nominations and Brunette lead a rebuilding team to 99 points and playoffs in west.

Exclusively goes to whichever team had the biggest jump in points these days. Not sure if there was more nuance to it in the past?

It's funny now that they just award it for the biggest jump in points as its usually heavily luck driven and the award winner typically gets fired within a year or two after winning.
Biggest jump in points makes sense. So you want to award a coach that didnt improve the team much?

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I get that's how it's currently awarded.

It just doesn't make sense when some of the best coaches in the league haven't won it.
I would nominate the coach with best team in regular season, another nomination for the coach that made the biggest improvement from previous season and the last nomination going to a coach that lead a bad team to a wild card. I think two of the nominations makes the cut based on my criteria. Would mayve swap Bowness with to NYR coach.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I have no idea how Kris Knoblauch didn't get nominated.

The Oilers had the best record in the league after he took over.

Doesn't make much sense

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Bowness? That's embarrassing. Horrible coach.

It's basically an award given to a team that exceeds expectations the most or has a big improvement over prior year.

It's why Cooper never wins because for the last several years they were good, but they were also expected to be good.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It's always been a "who exceeded expectations" award, especially in recent years.

Paul MacLean has coached three full seasons. Was a two-time finalist and one-time winner. He has never had a head coaching gig since leaving the Sens.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Tocchet is a good choice if he gets it. Anyone that can coax 50 wins out of a team with Tyler Myers, Ian Cole, Noah Juulsen, Carson Soucy and Nakita Zadorov taking regular shifts on defense deserves the award.

My Best-Carey

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I have no idea how Kris Knoblauch didn't get nominated.

The Oilers had the best record in the league after he took over.

Doesn't make much sense
HE wasn't the coach for the whole year and the team should be good but wasn't. Coach of the year is usually about biggest improvement from the previous year. I can't remember a mid season hire ever being nominated.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
HE wasn't the coach for the whole year and the team should be good but wasn't. Coach of the year is usually about biggest improvement from the previous year. I can't remember a mid season hire ever being nominated.
He was behind the bench for 69 regular season games...

He went 46-18-5.

I'd say that's a large enough sample size

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad