[OLD]2023-24 FPHL Season Thread

CarolinaThunderbird

Jan 24, 2023
Several FPHL teams have announced GMHL affiliations, with the latest a being the Thunderbirds affiliating with the St. George Ravens.

Idk what this really entails, but it seems fitting to lump the lowest “Junior A*” league together with the lowest A level pro hockey league.

Probably the latest scam to get gets in their pay to play league. I doubt many of their players actually get signed.

The ‘Birds signed their team captain from St George towards the end of last season and he played in 3 games, looking completely outmatched. Slow, bad puck control, and looked physically out of place.

I don’t see anyone from this affiliation ever being more than a depth player to step in in place of injuries.

*calling GMHL Junior A is criminal, but that’s what Wiki says.

Last edited:

Ratitude

May 2, 2020
Bring back the Enforcers! The logo was fantastic, fans ate it up. The Southern Tier folks love their Cops and Corrections Officers. River Sharks, wtf in Elmira of course 🙄😏 smh. Unless some Bull Sharks made their way up through Elmira like they allegedly have done in Lake Michigan via the ole Mississippi River. Anyhow back to this very serious discussion Elmira River Sharks is a terrible name and logo, I expected better from those behind the efforts and a little disappointed in the FHL. Elmira Enforcers was tough to beat but they could have done much better. The fans there have been great 👍 and they have earned something better.

Reactions: sabremike

CarolinaThunderbird

Jan 24, 2023
The Carolina Thunderbirds have announced the hiring of Jesse Messier, former Assistant Coach for the OHL Saginaw Spirit.

Funny enough, 2023 FPHL Coach of the year for Carolina, Garrett Rutledge was just hired as Assistant Coach for none other than the…Saginaw Spirit.

How wild is that? I’m scratching my head trying to figure out what the better job is?

As a player, Messier had a nice career in in OHL and had a cup of tea in the ECHL. Excited to have him down here. I’m kind of curious if he will lace up and play a few games…he’s only 35 😬

CarolinaThunderbird

Jan 24, 2023
More Thunderbirds news.

Yesterday the Birds signed Goalie Matt Dunsmoor. He played Major Junior hockey in the QMJHL and OHL and some Junior A in the OJHL, as well as Usports. Solid numbers in college and OJHL, decent in the QMJHL, and some impressive highlights on YouTube. The Goalie room is packed in Carolina if they return Cavaliere and Hussey.

Today they signed 4 year OHL (4th round pick) Dawson McKinney.

After losing the FPHL Player of the year, coach of the year, and rookie of the year, the runner up Thunderbirds appear to be reloading.

Reactions: Dingo44

NEPA Ice

Mar 17, 2022
1689680809359.png

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Senior hockey is huge up in Canada and most teams pay much more than the FPHL.

The EOSHL is actually a pretty good league. Lots of the top players would easily make a FPHL team. However most have moved on with their lives and are now working or going to school. Players have played OHL or QMJHL or Junior A.

The question will be if they want to play “pro” hockey on a weekend when Elmira has injuries.

Reactions: dm8895

CarolinaThunderbird

Jan 24, 2023
Senior hockey is huge up in Canada and most teams pay much more than the FPHL.

The EOSHL is actually a pretty good league. Lots of the top players would easily make a FPHL team. However most have moved on with their lives and are now working or going to school. Players have played OHL or QMJHL or Junior A.

The question will be if they want to play “pro” hockey on a weekend when Elmira has injuries.
Most of the top teams in the Fed are made up of Junior A and OHL/QMJHL/WHL players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad