[OLD]2023-24 FPHL Season Thread

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
They're playing at the Ice Palace (or Ice Rink as you approach it), and I have no idea what it looks like on the inside, but it must be tiny.

It's a dump.
1686706347386.png

1686706359775.png

Closed down a few years ago and was saved by a probably well-meaning member of the New Jersey Titans organization. It is somehow less fit for a semi-pro team than Delaware's original rink

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Does the new team in Wytheville even have a rink yet? They are planning on playing out of a rodeo barn that does not even have concrete floors and the ability to make ice. Let alone locker rooms and stands and all the other small things you need for hockey.

Going to be a mighty big renovation and only 4 months to complete it all.

Wyethville doesn't have a rink, but they do have the facility. The cost and time requirements of adding a sheet of ice (ice plant, pipes, concrete, boards, etc.) are far less than building a whole new building. Locker rooms in the Fed are often closed off areas with temporary walls. As for the other small things, the bathrooms and concessions are well above the minimum requirements. This is the Fed, they don't need a ton.

Work started in late 2022. No idea where you're getting this idea they just started it.

Adding ice making capabilities takes far longer than 4 months. They're morons in this league, but not total morons.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Wyethville doesn't have a rink, but they do have the facility. The cost and time requirements of adding a sheet of ice (ice plant, pipes, concrete, boards, etc.) are far less than building a whole new building. Locker rooms in the Fed are often closed off areas with temporary walls. As for the other small things, the bathrooms and concessions are well above the minimum requirements. This is the Fed, they don't need a ton.

Work started in late 2022. No idea where you're getting this idea they just started it.

Adding ice making capabilities takes far longer than 4 months. They're morons in this league, but not total morons.
Just seen they were out to tender in late April for the renovations. Yes they have a facility, but it was not built for hockey. So basically they need concrete, ice plant, pipes, locker rooms, stands (they have some already but won’t be close to the ice), score clock, etc. They need to get all this built for October. If your in the construction industry in any way, you know how these projects go.

If they actually are done by October I will be shocked.

Reactions: NEPA Ice

battra

Oct 24, 2017
I cannot wait to see what ridiculous crap the FPHL comes up with this off season.

That rink? It's gonna look spectacular on the YouTubes. I'm certain the camera quality will be at least as good as the Carolina Thunderbirds's feed and I'm double sure that the commentary will be at least as good as their man, Wispy Beard.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine

ELMIRA ANNOUNCES COACHING STAFF​

June 16, 2023
Elmira N.Y.- The new team out of First Arena in Elmira are excited to announce Tyler Gjurich
and M.J. Maerkl as the coaching staff for the team this season. Tyler Gjurich will take over the
reins as the Head Coach and M.J Maerkl will be assistant coach for the new FPHL team.

Reactions: sabremike

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

ELMIRA ANNOUNCES COACHING STAFF​

June 16, 2023
Elmira N.Y.- The new team out of First Arena in Elmira are excited to announce Tyler Gjurich
and M.J. Maerkl as the coaching staff for the team this season. Tyler Gjurich will take over the
reins as the Head Coach and M.J Maerkl will be assistant coach for the new FPHL team.

Best part of the release?

"Joining him with the whistle will be M.J. Maerkl. Maerkl was a member of the Elmira Mammoth
this past season, playing 11 games in the purple and orange, recording 2 goals and 2 assists.
Maerkl ended the season on the bench after an injury took him off the ice. The Southern Tier
native also played with the Binghamton Black Bears prior to Elmira. The Defenseman played in
48 games and had 1 goal and 11 assists in his two seasons with the team down I-90."

Neither Binghamton nor Elmira are on I-90.

• Haha
Reactions: Roadhog

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

You can go from a dirt rodeo floor to playing hockey in less than three weeks with a portable system. That's what the SPHL's Louisiana Ice Gators did.

How'd that work out for them? I can't remember.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
You can go from a dirt rodeo floor to playing hockey in less than three weeks with a portable system. That's what the SPHL's Louisiana Ice Gators did.

How'd that work out for them? I can't remember.
They claimed they were taking the year off due to "renovations at the Cajundome" (which may or may not have actually taken place), closed off all contact with the outside world, and fired everyone.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
They claimed they were taking the year off due to "renovations at the Cajundome" (which may or may not have actually taken place), closed off all contact with the outside world, and fired everyone.

Well, the portable ice system was actually in Blackham Coliseum. It was barely functional, as were the IceGators as a hockey team. Then they moved to the Cajundome for a few years, Danny Smith sold the team to another incompetent owner, and that (the non-renovations and quiet fold) happened.

syracuse blazers

Jun 14, 2017
I have been alive for a long time, WHA wars
Politics always plays a big part of hockey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I suspect tax breaks are given to some AHL teams....

Personally, getting older has left me much more skeptical.
What deals are done behind close doors????

I do feel very sorry for Delaware fans, hockey at whatever level should
be treasured by every fan.
I have no evidence to prove my statement, so it is just my opinion.
I have no facts to prove it.

HockeyDude16

Dec 23, 2021
1688947003789.png

Nothing says Elmira, NY like River Sharks *Face Plam*

Granted I will give them this, its better then the Mammoth and Enforcers.

• Haha
Reactions: Roadhog

CarolinaThunderbird

Jan 24, 2023
The 2023 FPHL Runner-up CarolinaThunderbirds are going to look quite a bit different next year.

We are losing league MVP Gus Ford to France, league Rookie of the year Lucas Rowe has retired after one year of pro hockey, and coach of the year Garett Rutledge will be heading back to the OHL to be an assistant coach for Saginaw.

Broadcaster and VP of media relations Brett Wiseman has also been let go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad