GM search thread - all news and discussion here

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Bottom line for me: Bergevin was in Chicago when the Aldrich assaults happened, and most importantly he was in a position where he could not claim he didn't know anything about it. Hard pass.
I said it with Babcock and I'll say it for Bergevin and (potentially) Quenneville: Winning is key. They're all assholes. If they win, they're assholes who win. If they lose, they're just assholes.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Certainyl feasible and I share those same concerns but I just hope they learned from that debacle.
bergevin being in consideration at all seems like pretty compelling proof that they did not learn from the babcock debacle whatsoever

I said it with Babcock and I'll say it for Bergevin and (potentially) Quenneville: Winning is key. They're all assholes. If they win, they're assholes who win. If they lose, they're just assholes.
maybe it's all the same to some, but I don't see the issue with making the distinction between an asshole and an asshole who (likely) covered up sexual abuse + used a first-rounder on a prospect who committed sexual misconduct.

not for nothing but this is also why I was ranting about mike priest a few weeks back – the org just got in hot water because jarmo and JD went to bat for mike babcock. now JD is running the GM search and, apparently, considering a candidate tied to even worse scandals than babcock.

if JD hires bergevin before riding off into the sunset, that taints his legacy in my eyes. but even worse, it destroys any confidence I'd have in ownership because it proves that they simply do not give a shit.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
bergevin being in consideration at all seems like pretty compelling proof that they did not learn from the babcock debacle whatsoever
One person saying the word "consideration" on twitter is not something I'm going to lose my shit over when we have zero information to go on.

Spending 5 minutes thinking about a person is a "consideration."

An agent trying to plan a story in the media to try to hint you'd like the job in order to get consideration is potentially "consideration.

They could be condering 10 different guys right now.

Reactions: MAHJ71

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
One person saying the word "consideration" on twitter is not something I'm going to lose my shit over when we have zero information to go on.

Spending 5 minutes thinking about a person is a "consideration."

An agent trying to plan a story in the media to try to hint you'd like the job in order to get consideration is potentially "consideration.

They could be condering 10 different guys right now.
For my own sanity, I'm choosing to take this leak as a "test balloon" on their part and hoping the backlash they're getting makes them reconsider.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
For my own sanity, I'm choosing to take this leak as a "test balloon" on their part and hoping the backlash they're getting makes them reconsider.
Another option but what kind of backlash could he possibly get?

He's not a name tied to a ton of controversy in the media and I bet a large chunk of CBJ fans don't know who he is. He's never been fired under controversial circumstances. He just seems like a mediocre hire and not a disruptor.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Honestly I am going to wait for someone else than a random twitter account that at best bat's .250 on rumors before I get upset.

Reactions: MAHJ71

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
I'm trying to remember the Jarmo hire. Was that considered a somewhat crazy pick?

I'm not really interested in an old guy club hire either, but is JD just gonna play it safe?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm trying to remember the Jarmo hire. Was that considered a somewhat crazy pick?

I'm not really interested in an old guy club hire either, but is JD just gonna play it safe?
Iirc there was only like one or two names that popped up when Howson was fired, and Jarmo was one of them. So no, it wasn’t out of left field. Most people (media and fans alike) were actually pretty excited that he was becoming the first European GM.

My how society changes.

Reactions: Seedtype

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Rimer was just on the Fan. It was a hilarious interview because he had a valet park his car and he got cut off in the middle of the interview. He was taking his wife out to celebrate her birthday and Mothers Day. Common Man was teasing him because instead of talking with his wife at the restaurant, Rimer was doing a radio interview. He said there are people the Jackets want to talk with who have teams still in the playoffs. He shrugged off todays rumor and brought up Logan Mailloux. Rimer made it sound like they are casting a wide net and they are not done yet.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

maybe it's all the same to some, but I don't see the issue with making the distinction between an asshole and an asshole who (likely) covered up sexual abuse + used a first-rounder on a prospect who committed sexual misconduct.

not for nothing but this is also why I was ranting about mike priest a few weeks back – the org just got in hot water because jarmo and JD went to bat for mike babcock. now JD is running the GM search and, apparently, considering a candidate tied to even worse scandals than babcock.

if JD hires bergevin before riding off into the sunset, that taints his legacy in my eyes. but even worse, it destroys any confidence I'd have in ownership because it proves that they simply do not give a shit.
Honestly could care less myself .. mainly hearsay … give me someone that can turn this organization into a winner .

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Honestly could care less myself .. mainly hearsay
please explain to me how the following is 'hearsay'
  1. the chicago stuff:
    1. two players were sexually assaulted by the video coach (fact)
    2. a third player notified the team's skills coach (fact)
    3. the skills coach notified hockey ops leadership (fact)
    4. he told those executives to contact the police, but they did not (fact)
    5. marc bergevin was the team's director of player personnel at the time (fact)
  2. drafting mallioux
    1. logan mallioux was accused of sexual misconduct while playing in Europe in his d-1 season (fact)
    2. the swedish legal system found him guilty (fact)
    3. he asked teams to not draft him (fact)
    4. bergevin did anyway (fact)
    5. all of this happened just a few months after the chicago scandal broke (fact)
what part of that is hearsay? all of this stuff has either been documented by reporters, investigated by the league + neutral third parties (jenner + block) or, in mallioux's case, litigated in criminal court.

give me someone that can turn this organization into a winner .
on top of all the other stuff above bergevin's track record on the job is awful. even if you don't think the scandals are disqualifying (they are imo) there's no indication that he's actually capable of building a winner.

the blue jackets bet that mike babcock's likelihood of replicating his historical results would outweigh the risk that he would continue to behave poorly. they got burned on that bet.

making the same bet on a candidate with similar baggage and without any of that historical success just a year later is, frankly, the absolute worst thing this organization could do.

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
Rimer was just on the Fan. It was a hilarious interview because he had a valet park his car and he got cut off in the middle of the interview. He was taking his wife out to celebrate her birthday and Mothers Day. Common Man was teasing him because instead of talking with his wife at the restaurant, Rimer was doing a radio interview. He said there are people the Jackets want to talk with who have teams still in the playoffs. He shrugged off todays rumor and brought up Logan Mailloux. Rimer made it sound like they are casting a wide net and they are not done yet.
This makes more sense than thinking they would wait this long only to hire someone right before anyone from Carolina, Colorado, Boston, etc. potentially becomes available. Unless they have already communicated they don't want the job, why wouldn't you wait and interview those guys?

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023

JD tilting his hand here a bit...you have to think they are primary interested in MacFarland or even Tulsky at this point.

Or someone from Dallas, or Vancouver, or Florida.... I think they should talk to MacFarland and Tulsky, but wouldn't assume they are locked in on those two just because their names have been floated in media.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I mean more to say “old boys club”. Bergevin was fired for pretty much the same reason Jarmo eventually was- deteriorating team culture. On top of that, the Canadiens were a pretty bad drafting team during his tenure. Overall he was a pretty terrible GM IMO. That he is under consideration at all is pretty shocking to me.
I would say he was average overall. Was pretty good at making trades, not so great at drafting (but that was largely Timmins as well) but his biggest flaws were his lack of long-term vision for the team and roster construction. In his defense, being a GM in a Canadian market, even more so one as rabid as Montreal, is harder than being one in a U.S. market. CBJ could do worse than him . . . but could also do better.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I would say he was average overall. Was pretty good at making trades, not so great at drafting (but that was largely Timmins as well) but his biggest flaws were his lack of long-term vision for the team and roster construction. In his defense, being a GM in a Canadian market, even more so one as rabid as Montreal, is harder than being one in a U.S. market. CBJ could do worse than him . . . but could also do better.

Sounds like Jarmo. Great.

Frostybrew

May 20, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Why hasn’t Davidson been shown the door? This is getting ridiculous. I think some questionable judgement been on display recently. This latest rumor is just too much. Feeling frustrated.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Ok, I'm getting to the point where I just want them to name a GM so people can actually complain about a real thing instead of being pissed about people who actually haven't been hired for a damned thing.
"I want to feel something, damn it!" – Columbus fans.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
IIRC the Cup could end mid-June. Leaving 2 weeks or so before the draft. Timing.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
They should just re-hire Jarmo. I think everyone would be so shocked this board would be quiet.

Yeah...I know that's not happening.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Not able to listen right now, but 32T Podcast talked about our head coaching job at 33:35 apparently. I’m sure the twitter people who post quotes will be on it soon too so I’ll post when available

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

Not able to listen right now, but 32T Podcast talked about our head coaching job at 33:35 apparently. I’m sure the twitter people who post quotes will be on it soon too so I’ll post when available

Says he doesn't get the feeling CBJ is close to making a GM decision. Mentions he believes team has talked with Bergevin & Botterill. Mostly under impression team is still waiting to talk to people. Mentions EDM as a team that CBJ may be waiting on to finish playing. No mention at all of Vincent's job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad