Confirmed Trade: [VAN/CGY] Elias Lindholm for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st, cond. 2024 4th

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Imagine if we didnt trade for Lindholm?

The amount of scrutiny that EP40 would be getting right now would be 100x worse.

Having Lindholm has somewhat let the Canucks absorb the fact that Petey isnt himself at the moment and is not helping the team much.

I think they gotta do whatever it takes to keep this guy.

1-2-3 down the middle of Miller, Pettersson, Lindholm should be the backbone of this team moving forward for years to come.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
The effects of this trade are on full display this series.

On one hand, Lindholm has come as advertised since his return from injury.

On the other hand.... teams winger depth has been gutted. Pettersson has continued to fall off, and even with a fully healthy roster, the best choices the Nucks have to bring in, are either a guy with zero career goals, or a guy with zero goals on the season.

We all waited patiently for a follow up move, thinking there's no way we head into the playoffs as such, but yea, that never happened.

Hard to be excited about the deadline no matter how good Lindholm plays, as the impacts have been largely lateral. Still should be enough to beat EDM though, cuz Oilers fuggin suck.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Imagine if we didnt trade for Lindholm?

The amount of scrutiny that EP40 would be getting right now would be 100x worse.

Having Lindholm has somewhat let the Canucks absorb the fact that Petey isnt himself at the moment and is not helping the team much.

I think they gotta do whatever it takes to keep this guy.

1-2-3 down the middle of Miller, Pettersson, Lindholm should be the backbone of this team moving forward for years to come.
Would you sign him for 8x8?

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Would you sign him for 8x8?

He'd be 29 at the start of that contract....hmmm I dont know if id go 8 yrs.

Although Lindholm plays a game that will age well imo. He doesnt rely on speed or physicality to be good at what hes good at.

With the cap going up, i dont think id have an issue with going something 6/7 yrs @ 8 mil

He has stated how much he and his family have loved Vancouver (the city) though and with the Swedish foundation within the org i think we can get abig of a discount,

Maybe something like 7x7.5 .... that would be amazing.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
He'd be 29 at the start of that contract....hmmm I dont know if id go 8 yrs.

Although Lindholm plays a game that will age well imo. He doesnt rely on speed or physicality to be good at what hes good at.

With the cap going up, i dont think id have an issue with going something 6/7 yrs @ 8 mil

He has stated how much he and his family have loved Vancouver (the city) though and with the Swedish foundation within the org i think we can get abig of a discount,

Maybe something like 7x7.5 .... that would be amazing.

Lindholm would have to play ball a bit to stay but I agree he should be a priority.

Hes added so much, and having another highend C like that really helps set us up for a true contention window the next 3-4 years.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Really bad trade for the Nucks.

Lindholm has been good since returning from some missed games, and was a good target to upgrade the 3C position, but that's not the price they paid nor the intended position he'd fill.

Nucks were weak at the wing before the trade, and now that hole is massive. It also doesn't help the C depth, cause now Pettersson is completely useless without his play driver.

This team was bottom 10 in scoring before Kuz, and went right back to that the day he was traded.

Zadorov, Suter, Blueger, Lafferty, Cole, Hronek etc. The list goes on for moves made to address the overall D and PK. Why the FFFF would you trade away one of your top offensive catalysts and leading goal scorer from the previous year!?

We now have half a dozen wingers, that are combined for ZERO goals in the last 20-30 games.

They traded away the exact skillset they are now missing, in the name of '2 way play'.

Toch should have been strong armed into giving Kuz more rope, or at least a move needed to be made to address the winger void after.
068f873f-23e2-4b87-91c2-5147bdd89af0_text.gif

emmjayb

Jan 4, 2004
Continues to be a win-win deal, as it's been all along.
This and Zadorov trade are becoming my favourite Flames trades of all-time, not because of the returns they got (which, particularly the Lindholm trade, were decent), but because we now get to watch these two guys (who we all loved while they were in Calgary) have a positive impact for the Canucks against the Oilers. Nothing I would love more than to see them help get the Canucks over the hump ... into the Conference finals anyway. Truly a win-win.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I have a hard time seeing Vancouver letting Lindholm walk. I think they will prioritize him several tiers ahead of their other UFAs/RFAs:

Lindholm

Zadorov
Joshua
Myers
Hronek (RFA)
Blueger
Cole
Lindholm, Joshua and Zadorov arr must signings imo. The rest like Myers, Cole and even Hronek cab walk. Hronek is just showing he isnt even worth 6 mil nevermind the 8 or 9 mil he is asking and the Wings were right to trade him. I could see Canucks trade his RFA rights and sign Tanev in the off season for relatively cheap.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Lindholm, Joshua and Zadorov arr must signings imo. The rest like Myers, Cole and even Hronek cab walk. Hronek is just showing he isnt even worth 6 mil nevermind the 8 or 9 mil he is asking and the Wings were right to trade him. I could see Canucks trade his RFA rights and sign Tanev in the off season for relatively cheap.
What would you pay Zadorov? Curious what the perspective is. I was of the opinion he's going to get 5M X 5 years when he was in Calgary. Would you give him that? There are times he's worth that and times he makes some bad decisions.

How about Lindholm? I think you're talking a contract that's between 7.5 and 8.5 for 7 or 8 years. Would you give him that?

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
What would you pay Zadorov? Curious what the perspective is. I was of the opinion he's going to get 5M X 5 years when he was in Calgary. Would you give him that? There are times he's worth that and times he makes some bad decisions.

How about Lindholm? I think you're talking a contract that's between 7.5 and 8.5 for 7 or 8 years. Would you give him that?
I think Lindholm makes Canucks a cup contender playing on that 3rd line. A cup contending team should have a selke 3rd line center imo if they want to go deep. Without Lindholm, Canucks would have already been out in 1st round. Blueger can be let go unless he signs for cheap as a 4th line center. Having center depth of Miller, Petersson, Lindholm and Blueger would be huge. I think lekkermaki could be the cheap winger put with Petersson and Podkolzin will eventually come up. Hoglander will keep developing. Wallinder would be a Hronek replacement. And Petersson the dman would be a Cole replacement.

Suter-Miller-Boeser
Lekkermaki-Pettersson-Hoglander/Podkolzin
Joshua-Lindholm-Garland
Karlsson-Blueger-Aman/PDG

Hughes-Wallinder (Tanev temporarily)
Soucy-Petersson
Zadorov-Juulsen

Demko
Silovs

This is the lineup i see in the future. I think Wallinder and Lekker will be a shoe in to be on the regular roster soon to save cap space.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think Lindholm makes Canucks a cup contender playing on that 3rd line. A cup contending team should have a selke 3rd line center imo if they want to go deep. Without Lindholm, Canucks would have already been out in 1st round. Blueger can be let go unless he signs for cheap as a 4th line center. Having center depth of Miller, Petersson, Lindholm and Blueger would be huge. I think lekkermaki could be the cheap winger put with Petersson and Podkolzin will eventually come up. Hoglander will keep developing. Wallinder would be a Hronek replacement. And Petersson the dman would be a Cole replacement.

Suter-Miller-Boeser
Lekkermaki-Pettersson-Hoglander/Podkolzin
Joshua-Lindholm-Garland
Karlsson-Blueger-Aman/PDG

Hughes-Wallinder (Tanev temporarily)
Soucy-Petersson
Zadorov-Juulsen

Demko
Silovs

This is the lineup i see in the future. I think Wallinder and Lekker will be a shoe in to be on the regular roster soon to save cap space.
I absolutely get how they fit. I'm just wondering what you pay them? I also think the expectation that Wallinder is going to come in and be a top pairing defenseman and EP2 is going to come in and be a 2nd pairing defenseman is WILDLY optimistic. You go with that defense next year and you aren't even a playoff team.

I see Lekkerimaki as a high end prospect. Willander as a 3/4 at best and EP2 as a bottom pairing guy at best. None of that as soon as next year except maybe Lekkerimaki.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I absolutely get how they fit. I'm just wondering what you pay them? I also think the expectation that Wallinder is going to come in and be a top pairing defenseman and EP2 is going to come in and be a 2nd pairing defenseman is WILDLY optimistic. You go with that defense next year and you aren't even a playoff team.
Well thats in the future, probably 2 to 3 years from now. Tanev could be had as a placeholder, much cheaper and probably better than Hronek.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Well thats in the future, probably 2 to 3 years from now. Tanev could be had as a placeholder, much cheaper and probably better than Hronek.
Ah, much more reasonable then. I think Lekkerimaki will be a really good player. Like a wing version of Lindholm. I'm less bullish on EP2. I don't think he's a top 4 guy.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Why, with a larger cap, does Lindholm take any less than Horvat? They have the exact same points over the last three years, both great on the dot, and Lindholm is a better defender.

Horvat’s 8.5 AAV for 7 years is the FLOOR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad