GDT: U18 Round Robin/QF's

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
And Rittich played great. Happy we are up 3-1... should be able to put it away now and get to round 2. More impressive was Vancouver spinning it around.. that was heroic!
I've changed my mind on a Van-Edmonton series....................you are going to take them out.

insomniaddict

Jan 9, 2020
Finland
Congratulations to them. They earned a promotion to the top divison for the U20 division this season with wins over France and Denmark. That will be their first time in the top divison at the U20 since the 2009 tournament, they had dipped as low as finishing 17th or 18th every year between 2010 and 2015. They finished 11th at the most recent World Championships after making a decision to no longer use imported naturalized North American trained skaters (think Kevin Dallman and Nigel Dawes), including a shootout win over Slovakia.

Things appear to be improving for Kazakhstan.
Actually the U20 team had been at the top division once after 2009 (in 2019) but yeah, nice to see them steadily improve in pretty much every age group without help from the outside.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Tired/fresh legs really matter. USA played back to back Saturday/Sunday and Latvia had a lot more energy, and score notwithstanding, controlled a lot of the play in the first period. Now Latvia is playing back to back Sunday/Monday and down 2-0 to Norway.

Reactions: Blueston

insomniaddict

Jan 9, 2020
Finland
Looks like Slovakia might need full three points from Norway to avoid going to the relegation game. It would be a catastrophically bad result for Slovensko.

Jakub97

Jun 5, 2023
Looks like Slovakia might need full three points from Norway to avoid going to the relegation game. It would be a catastrophically bad result for Slovensko.
Yes. That sucks.

However, this kind of result will give us a chance to end up 3rd (although so far I don´t think we deserve that, and I am not naive).

Wonder what is Latvia doing so far in this game...they might blow a unique chance to end up 3rd in our group which would be such a shame for this squad.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Yes. That sucks.

However, this kind of result will give us a chance to end up 3rd (although so far I don´t think we deserve that, and I am not naive).

Wonder what is Latvia doing so far in this game...they might blow a unique chance to end up 3rd in our group which would be such a shame for this squad.
How does that work? Slovakia beats Norway in regulation and then each team has 1 regulation win and 3 regulation losses, with 1 win and 1 regulation loss against the others. What is next tiebreak? GD in games against amongst that particular trio or goal differential in entire group?

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
Absolutely.. we needed 2 points here. Kazakhs didn't. Happy for them and the win obviously but this was a big f*** up from the Czechs.
I won't say Kazakhstan didn't "need" it, it's not just "2pts", it's a win. Some players on the U18 roster won't make the U20/Men team in the future, they are playing the "highlight" game of their career, so It's important for players themselves, not just for their national team.
And, for Czech boys, they need to prove themselves, shouldn't think it will be an easy game. Or they will suffer that. It's tough to see Benak stumble before the GWG.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
This one. After that, it's "goals scored in the games between this particular trio".
So if this game ended now (5-1 Norway), it will head into tomorrow

Norway +4
Latvia -2
Slovakia -2

Latvia would be crossing their fingers that Norway either wins or at least goes to OT against Slovakia. Fortunately for Slovakia, they will be the more rested team tomorrow.

Jakub97

Jun 5, 2023

Norway +4
Latvia -2
Slovakia -2

Latvia would be crossing their fingers that Norway either wins or at least goes to OT against Slovakia. Fortunately for Slovakia, they will be the more rested team tomorrow.

Well, this is getting interesting. :D

We better play our best game tomorrow against Norway. :D

JohnWillow

May 27, 2015

Norway +4
Latvia -2
Slovakia -2

What happens now with Latvia down two goals and this is how it ends? Who gets the tie-breaker if, for example, Slovakia beats Norway tomorrow by two goals?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
As it stands now

Norway +2
Latvia 0
Slovakia -2

If Slovakia beats Norway by two goals, all would be even and tied, so it would move to Goals Scored tiebreak amongst the group.

Heading into tomorrow

Latvia: 8
Norway: 5
Slovakia: 3

Any Slovakia two goal win would automatically put them at the same amount of goals scored as Norway. If it's 5-3 and all teams are at 8 goals scored, then I guess it moves to the next tiebreak, 5) result against closest best-ranked team outside tied teams. That would depend on the loser of USA/Finland to determine the "closest" team. If it's a two goal Slovakia win that is either more or less to get to 8 goals scored, then I think you either advance or eliminate Latvia and the other two go to H2H to determine their place.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Norway 3 / +2
Latvia 3 / 0
Slovakia 0/ -2

Slovakia has to beat Norway at least 6-4 now. Or +3 and above.

Latvia has almost certainly qualified for the quarters now, but cannot end up 3rd in the group. I think.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Norway 3 / +2
Latvia 3 / 0
Slovakia 0/ -2

Slovakia has to beat Norway at least 6-4 now. Or +3 and above.

Latvia has almost certainly qualified for the quarters now, but cannot end up 3rd in the group. I think.
I think Latvia can only miss if Slovakia beats Norway 6-4, 7-5 (etc. but anything else is a bit implausible). Slovakia has the worst result against the United States and Norway has the worst result against Finland if it came to it. Latvia has the best result against Finland, and I think Norway has the best result against the United States (better to lose 2-8 than 1-7 because of goal scored), so whether it's best team advances and then it goes Head to Head, or they look at all three and rank, the outcome is the same if it came down to the fifth tiebreak in a scenario where Slovakia wins 5-3 against Norway, which is Latvia can't get eliminated but would have to get 4th and Slovakia/Norway would depend on which way the USA/Finland game goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad