Tucson Roadrunners Discussion.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Roadrunners announced today they’ll be playing a minimum of 30 home games in Tucson.

They’ll play 6 at Mullet (3 B2B) now instead of the 5 they were originally allowed under their lease. The lease is also extended another year (there were 2 left). EDIT: Additional year is not for sure yet but it was confirmed the Meruelos did make the offer.

Utah did not like the 14-game proposal.

Nutshell….. gets around all the “hurdles” Craig Morgan referred to early on.

No AHL approval needed. Getting OVG/ASU approval, etc.
So guessing that was Bill Armstrong who didn’t like the 14games?

Reactions: Summer Rose

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
So guessing that was Bill Armstrong who didn’t like the 14games?
My guess too. And it’s well founded.

Utah is paying the salaries of most of those players. So they have the right to have a say in how they’re treated.

The deal to be Utah’s affiliate only runs through next season. There’s been a lot of talk of promoting the current ECHL team in Utah (the Grizzlies) up to the AHL. The Grizzlies have an affiliation with Colorado but that may be running out after this season.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
This is a strange setup. Does Utah retain rights over who is coach/GM? Does Utah make all player personnel decisions?

I don't understand it.

Utah makes all the GM, Coach, and player decisions I believe. It's really just like any other NHL team that doesn't own their own AHL team but partners with one (I think.) Utah could switch affiliations once the contract ends with Tucson if they want to (or create their own AHL team like the Coyotes did with the Roadrunners) and all AM has left is a team in name only, basically. Just like the Coyotes.

At least, that's how I understand it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad