Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Baumgartner does have a long AHL/NHL resume at least. He He has been coaching since the moment his 15 year pro career ended in 2012 as he was hired as Assistant Coach of the AHL team he was playing for the season prior. 5 seasons of those with the Canucks. Also a sprinkling of international stuff and was captain of a few AHL teams as well as being in the AHL hall of fame.

Yeah. He only has 11 years of experience coaching professional hockey players in the top two leagues in the world. Whether he's the right fit or not remains to be seen but if he's not it won't be for lack of experience.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yeah. He only has 11 years of experience coaching professional hockey players in the top two leagues in the world. Whether he's the right fit or not remains to be seen but if he's not it won't be for lack of experience.
I think so. I like all the experience behind the bench tbh. Plenty enough to go around for a group to be successful, really just depends if they have the right ones or not.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I think so. I like all the experience behind the bench tbh. Plenty enough to go around for a group to be successful, really just depends if they have the right ones or not.

Agreed. I think ALfie is valuable but I think I'd prefer him more in a development role, where he's not always behind the bench but instead is heavily involved in practices, teaching players about some details of the game rather than "systems".

I also think that, as a legend for this franchise, Daniel Alfredsson should not be in a position to be fired like traditional assistant coaches tend to be. There should be a role where he stays out of that situation.

Reactions: SensCaper

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Agreed. I think ALfie is valuable but I think I'd prefer him more in a development role, where he's not always behind the bench but instead is heavily involved in practices, teaching players about some details of the game rather than "systems".

I also think that, as a legend for this franchise, Daniel Alfredsson should not be in a position to be fired like traditional assistant coaches tend to be. There should be a role where he stays out of that situation.
I suspect that will still be a big part of his role. And I think there'll be room to let him slide in somewhere else should things go sideways and the staff is let go.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Alfie does teach as an assistant as well at practices, and after practice,
the players mentioned it frequently.

If they were looking to make a change at coaching, I’m sure Alfie would be welcome back in a development role, but currently Alfie chose to be behind the bench, it’s where he feels he can make a difference the most currently.
He could get tired of the travel as well in the future, but right now he’s where he wants to be.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

My guess is that management have a plan for a situation like this. I am all for Alfie being behind the bench. This is a guy who's been in the trenches before and he is the perfect person to be paired with Green. I think players like Tkachuk really respect Alfie and know what he means to our fan base, and this will help shape Tkachuk into the leader our team needs. I am pretty excited that he'll be coaching again, honestly, especially because of Alfie's penchant for details and making our team detail oriented.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Alfie is clearly a gamer, loves hockey and it's science and strategy, ultra competitive and wants to be as close as possible to the ice when we win the cup.

I have no issues with Alfredsson a coach, there is no better role model we could ask for the kids.

Also he is not going to get fired, he is just gonna get promoted.

Reactions: LiseL

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
As a Canucks fans, I'm sorry to hear that the Sens signed Baumer.... Nice guy, but the Defence under him was not very good. Hopefully, he learned a few things and fixes the things that didn't work for him group in Van.

Not surprised Green brought one of his former guys with him. Hopefully things go better for that coaching group in Ott than in Van.

• Wow
Reactions: DJB

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
My guess is that management have a plan for a situation like this. I am all for Alfie being behind the bench. This is a guy who's been in the trenches before and he is the perfect person to be paired with Green. I think players like Tkachuk really respect Alfie and know what he means to our fan base, and this will help shape Tkachuk into the leader our team needs. I am pretty excited that he'll be coaching again, honestly, especially because of Alfie's penchant for details and making our team detail oriented.
this year was different, Jacques brought him in as a "co-coach".

The reality of assistant coaches is: a grind. Do the dirty work. Scotty Bowman use to use them in a real nasty way. Like: Find a way to improve our faceoff wins. So the Assistants had a short amount of time to conceive of an idea, test it, implement it and IT BETTER WORK.

Assistants work long hours and better be able to solve hard problems. It is the assistant who has to get the PP to work. He needs to solve it. He needs to spend the hours working with the players.

I hope that Alfie is okay with "slave labour". It's the assistants that are doing room checks when the team is on the road, and running practices and doing video and doing every dirty task. HCs are the brains/big picture. Assistants are the workers. And I hope he is okay with it for 2-4 years.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Alfie is clearly a gamer, loves hockey and it's science and strategy, ultra competitive and wants to be as close as possible to the ice when we win the cup.

I have no issues with Alfredsson a coach, there is no better role model we could ask for the kids.

Also he is not going to get fired, he is just gonna get promoted.
Why do you refer to this group as kids? They are in their primes and handed out fat contracts. Kane and Toews led their team to cups at 22.

Reactions: Agent Zub

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Why do you refer to this group as kids? They are in their primes and handed out fat contracts. Kane and Toews led their team to cups at 22.
Ottawa media has spun this narrative. As has the team itself.

Young, kids, grow.... i.e. give us even more time. Come in, pack the place.. we lose, but we are young and will win tomorrow!!

"the Kids are alright", remember.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Lol, we wish our personnel were as good as those Chicago teams. Not exactly a reasonable comparable considering what's surrounded them. Crawford looks like Hasek next to the train wreck goaltending in Ottawa.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Lol, we wish our personnel were as good as those Chicago teams. Not exactly a reasonable comparable considering what's surrounded them. Crawford looks like Hasek next to the train wreck goaltending in Ottawa.
Take a look at their drafting 2002-2007. Rock Solid.

By the time Toews and Kane arrived, they simply pushed the team over the top.

My favourite phrase : FYOUS. It began in 2008/2009. The building was 1-6 years earlier. Per script.

10 rock solid players came to them 2002-2007. Patrick sharp came in a trade. Hossa in FA. That built the team. Add Brandon Saad, drafted during the good run, and success per script.

Ditto for Pitt. by the way, something similar. Ditto for Tampa Bay.

the script is there. Good luck in following it.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Take a look at their drafting 2002-2007. Rock Solid.

By the time Toews and Kane arrived, they simply pushed the team over the top.

My favourite phrase : FYOUS. It began in 2008/2009. The building was 1-6 years earlier. Per script.

10 rock solid players came to them 2002-2007. Patrick sharp came in a trade. Hossa in FA. That built the team. Add Brandon Saad, drafted during the good run, and success per script.

Ditto for Pitt. by the way, something similar. Ditto for Tampa Bay.

the script is there. Good luck in following it.
The script may be there, but PD didn't follow it. If a potato had taken over 3-4 years ago and just done nothing but using picks, maybe you're looking at something like you describe, with SS actually having the required ammo to load the gun via trade to finish it off a la Sharp, Hossa, etc., but I don't see how what's in the stable now is comparable to those Chicago teams, especially with league worst goaltending locked in so hard.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Niemi was their cup winning goaltender in 2010 and was a rookie..

Point being, one team had a young core that won a cup while this "young" core of the Sens can't even make a playoff push. I think people should temper their expectations as this group is highly overrated.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I’m honestly not sure what to think about Alfie here. The powerplay under him wasn’t good and nobody wants to see the day when he gets fired.
It's worth noting that the PP did improve towards the end of the year

Under DJ, the pp was scoring about 6.5 g/60 and it certainly didn't start strong under Martin and Alfie, running at around 4.2 g/60 from Dec to the end of Jan.

However, from 1 Feb onward, it ran at about 7.86g/60 or roughly at a 22% success rate which is about league average. I could be wrong but I seem to recall reporting that coming out of the all-star break the team worked on the PP.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Niemi was their cup winning goaltender in 2010 and was a rookie..

Point being, one team had a young core that won a cup while this "young" core of the Sens can't even make a playoff push. I think people should temper their expectations as this group is highly overrated.
Sure, but we have the worst goalie tandem in the league. At least Niemi could hold his own and Crawford played well when called upon too.

That's in large part because of the position PD/EM put them in. Every attempt to support them with anything has failed as he burned through pick after pick. The players have also been a disappointment, no doubt, but I don't see the personnel in house yet to be comparing it to a team like that.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Alfredsson is never getting fired. He will either leave on his own or get "promoted" to a front office job.

I suspect that they would not have brought him back on the coaching staff if he didn't bring something to the table. They could have easily shifted him somewhere else in the organization and nobody would have blinked an eye because the perception was that the coaching staff was an interim bandaid until they could hire in the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad