Proposal: Trade Juuse Saros

Trade Saros?

• Total voters

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I’ve actually warmed up to the idea of getting Marner. Not sure getting him at 11M+ is beneficial for building the rest of the roster though.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I’ve actually warmed up to the idea of getting Marner. Not sure getting him at 11M+ is beneficial for building the rest of the roster though.
He's a good player but I have a hard time paying that because I have a hard time believing he is going to put as many points in Nashville. I could be wrong, maybe away from Mathews he shoots more but I doubt it.

For that kind of money I'm going to need the 99 point version rather than the 60+ or 80+ point version. I'm also going to need the 80 game played verses the 55-60 version as well.

Truth is if I'm paying that kind of money I want a 40g/60a guy not a 25g/60a guy.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
He's a good player but I have a hard time paying that because I have a hard time believing he is going to put as many points in Nashville. I could be wrong, maybe away from Mathews he shoots more but I doubt it.

For that kind of money I'm going to need the 99 point version rather than the 60+ or 80+ point version. I'm also going to need the 80 game played verses the 55-60 version as well.

Truth is if I'm paying that kind of money I want a 40g/60a guy not a 25g/60a guy.
Perds tax puts him at probably a 75-85 guy (though FF9 put up 94 this year so maybe there's been a reprieve). Not worth $11M long-term, but if he would take $9.5 in a lower tax aituation?

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
Perds tax puts him at probably a 75-85 guy (though FF9 put up 94 this year so maybe there's been a reprieve). Not worth $11M long-term, but if he would take $9.5 in a lower tax aituation?
Economically, $9.5mm probably puts him on even footing with $11.0mm in Toronto, once you factor in tax rates and COL adjustment (but man, Nashville is getting out of control). The tax savings aren't as big as a lot of folks think, as they also have to pay local/Canadian tax based on the number of games played in each area per year, but having 41 home games in an income-tax free state still makes a big difference (plus they get a few games in Texas and Nevada (also no income tax) due to being in the Western Conference

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
There isn't a lot from Montreal I find all that intriguing they'd be willing to part with. Also don't think they are in much of a need to address the crease immediately, like Toronto may be.
If and I repeat if Nashville is considering extending Saros, we could be at square one where it’s Saros vs Askarov in terms of trade value

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Just to expand on the debate: if you're the GM and you want to "win now" or "win the year after" why wouldn't you sign Saros and dangle Askarov as trade bait? To speed things up, you might even want to sign Saros and give Lankinen a few years as well since he's already paid his dues, knows the NHL grind, etc. Gambling on an unproven and NHL inexperienced goalie isn't really the way to take a big step forward in 1, 2, probably even 3 coming seasons. Askarov, if he ever dominates, is 3 or more seasons away from that level. Add also that he might have more value in a trade because he is young and unproven. Other GMs may project him to be the next Brodeur, while they've seen Saros for several years now and know precisely what he is and isn't.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
If we're talking about Saros for Marner, Saros hasn't exactly won a bunch of series either. The truth is that isolating any one player's ability to win playoff series is a fool's errand.
At 11 mil, there are no excuses. You should be able to drive your teams to success. It’s no coincidence it’s Marner who’s on the hot seat in Toronto.

I just think Marner’s a loser personality just like Gaudreau and Huberdeau are. You won’t win anything with those guys.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
At 11 mil, there are no excuses. You should be able to drive your teams to success. It’s no coincidence it’s Marner who’s on the hot seat in Toronto.

I just think Marner’s a loser personality just like Gaudreau and Huberdeau are. You won’t win anything with those guys.
Marner is on the hot seat because they need a scapegoat and he's potentially tradeable if he waived his NMC. Anyone in their right mind would rather get rid of Tavares, but nobody is going to take him on. Matthews is clearly not going anywhere. Nylander just signed his new deal. That leaves only one and a fanbase that is out for blood if they don't make a major change.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Blaming Marner for Toronto's playoff woes is silly. If we can't blame Saros for ours then there is even less for Marner. I don't care how good of a forward you are, one forward can not take a team to a cup.

Reactions: hockey diva

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Actually Marner is "on the hot seat" (aka being shopped) pretty much because his contract is the only one moveable. They aren't gonna trade Matthews, they just resigned Nylander and no body would touch Tavares.

Edit, I see @wmupreds covered this as well

Reactions: 101st_fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad