GDT: The Annual Trade Deadline Thread: The Cowards Did It!

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
i thought dadanov was a cap move, idk did they make other moves that makes them non-cap compliant?

Dunno exactly what Ducks' or Nuggets' cap structure looks like but if they are above the ceiling then they'll accrue penalties for it. But if the Sens forgot to mention Dadonov's no trade list to Vegas then that makes it a bit more complicated. Apparently the NTL isn't given to the league offices under the CBA so it's all Sens' responsibility in this case.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Dunno exactly what Ducks' or Nuggets' cap structure looks like but if they are above the ceiling then they'll accrue penalties for it. But if the Sens forgot to mention Dadonov's no trade list to Vegas then that makes it a bit more complicated. Apparently the NTL isn't given to the league offices under the CBA so it's all Sens' responsibility in this case.
Here's a summary, I do agree with you Ottawa is mostly to blame, main boards is surprisingly blaming Vegas more? Kinda disagree:

• When Dadonov signed in Ottawa in 2020, he was given a 10 team NTC, to be submitted every year by July 1
  • When Ottawa traded Dadonov to Vegas, the Sens said on the trade call with Vegas and the NHL he never gave his 10 team NTC so he didn’t have one for this season. This was apparently untrue (there are receipts), and his agent did file it on time. This never came up at the time as since Vegas wasn’t on the list, there was no reason Dadonov or his agent would mention it.
  • When Vegas and Anaheim execute the trade call, Vegas tells the league/Ducks Dadonov didn’t file his NTC, so he’s fine for the trade.
  • Dadonov and his agent hear about the trade and are like we filed, we’re not going to Anaheim

My blame is 60% to Ottawa, a fail by a tire fire organization, 20% Vegas, you knew this player was likely going to be moved, you couldn’t give a heads up to the player/agent/ confirm he had an NTC? Why trust Ottawa lol? Continues their theme of treating players like cattle. And 20% to the NHL for having a central registry but not putting these clauses on it. If anyone will be sanctioned, it appears to be the Sens. Ducks are blameless and get some shitty luck. And obviously Dadonov who will probably be moved to another team and now his season is over.

Reactions: harv33173

wampa13jku

Jun 29, 2019
Davie, FL
I was really impressed by how our radio guy articulated himself in this video. I think we have our replacement PBP right there whenever Goldie retires or if he moves on.

100%

I used to work nights a few years ago and my shift used to end by 2nd period of most 7pm games, so whatever I couldn’t watch at work i would put on the radio driving back home, Doug is the goat.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Here's a summary, I do agree with you Ottawa is mostly to blame, main boards is surprisingly blaming Vegas more? Kinda disagree:

• When Dadonov signed in Ottawa in 2020, he was given a 10 team NTC, to be submitted every year by July 1
  • When Ottawa traded Dadonov to Vegas, the Sens said on the trade call with Vegas and the NHL he never gave his 10 team NTC so he didn’t have one for this season. This was apparently untrue (there are receipts), and his agent did file it on time. This never came up at the time as since Vegas wasn’t on the list, there was no reason Dadonov or his agent would mention it.
  • When Vegas and Anaheim execute the trade call, Vegas tells the league/Ducks Dadonov didn’t file his NTC, so he’s fine for the trade.
  • Dadonov and his agent hear about the trade and are like we filed, we’re not going to Anaheim

My blame is 60% to Ottawa, a fail by a tire fire organization, 20% Vegas, you knew this player was likely going to be moved, you couldn’t give a heads up to the player/agent/ confirm he had an NTC? Why trust Ottawa lol? Continues their theme of treating players like cattle. And 20% to the NHL for having a central registry but not putting these clauses on it. If anyone will be sanctioned, it appears to be the Sens. Ducks are blameless and get some shitty luck. And obviously Dadonov who will probably be moved to another team and now his season is over.

While Ottawa was wrong in saying he had not submitted his NTC list, Vegas is equally at fault for not checking. They can't just play victim here, need to take responsibility for their own inaction and can't just take somebody else's word on these things. They should have checked with Dadonov's agent, but I'm guessing they were hoping if they didn't check, then something like this kind of trade could be done, which is just super sketchy by them.

Take this as an example. I sell you a car and tell you it's been checked and there are no liens. Would you just take my word for it or would you go check it yourself? Sure I shouldn't lie to you, but...you should also check yourself.

VijayPatel11

Mar 29, 2021
Sarasota, FL
Don't the panthers have enough cap to trade for Dadonov? Trade for him and recoup a 1st round pick....then unload him in the off-season
exactly what i was thinking... would be a bill zito masterclass
and we could then either use that pick to trade for deadline help in 2023 or, if vegas sucks, use that high pick to draft a nice young player...

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
My guess is that the Sens told the Nuggets that they do not have such list from Dadonov.

If teams aren't allowed to contact players that are on a payroll of another team then imo that would include their agents as well.
I meant when Dads was on LV. They should have checked with the agent themselves and not just take Ottawa's word for it.

I mean... How often does a player with a NTC not even submit a list? Wouldn't you wonder why there's no list? LV must've at least wondered no....? They were just being deliberately ignorant in the hope that something like this would happen, or they're just that stupid. Not sure which is worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad