Stuart Skinner worst playoff sv% since Cloutier.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Boeser had a pretty clean look last night after Ceci (of course) let him walk in. Got stopped this time though, even though you'd think that wouldn't be possible after reading some posts around here after last game.

1715779779090.png

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
People forget about somewhat dangerous scoring chances when they dont result in goals. Also sometimes a goalie creates a situation for an opponent to snipe a high danger scoring chance by bad positioning where if he id play more aggressively, the opponent might elect not to shoot and go for another movento get perfe t shot losing the puck or shoot it straight i to the goalie.

A good example is goals 2 and 3 on skinner in game 3. Im not saying the defense didnt bungle those plays or they should be easy saves, i just want to talk about skinners positioning. Hes playing scared and deep in the net. That gives the opponent so much empty space they can shoot at and an easy goal. If he plays aggressive andncomes outbof the crease to challenge the shot, then the opponent has a smaller angle and has to make the perfect shot. This added pressure might result in them shooting wide or straight into tbe goalie. Those dont end up looking like amazing saves, but these small nuances can actually make a big difference. If they snipenthe perfevt shot, fine, but at least the goalie made them earn the perfe t shot instead of giving them a wide target by playing too deep.

Skinner was playing scared and deep. Itngives you extra time on routine easy shots and more time if youre scared about a cross ice pass tobget in position/not be position on cross but it gives experienced nhl snipers with time too much of an easy target.

Skinner when hes confident does play more positionally sound. He hadnt been in the playoffs. Hes playing scared and causing problems for himself by doing so.
First of all, this goes both ways with regards to people forgetting about saves. Been down this road countless times with Markstrom. He could bail his team out with massive saves 3 or 4 times in a row but not manage it on the fifth one. People would then check how many sog there had been and draw a conclusion about whether he was playing well. Time and time again.

So how much good play by Skinner is being remembered in light of the ones he didn't save?

In terms of your analysis though, aren't you describing Pickard to a T? Deep in the net on goal 1, and not aggressive enough on goal 2? There are ways he could've played those which would've made them not look dangerous. Fact is, the Canucks did not have chances like that until the third, whereas the game before there were a half dozen in the first 40.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
First of all, this goes both ways with regards to people forgetting about saves. Been down this road countless times with Markstrom. He could bail his team out with massive saves 3 or 4 times in a row but not manage it on the fifth one. People would then check how many sog there had been and draw a conclusion about whether he was playing well. Time and time again.

So how much good play by Skinner is being remembered in light of the ones he didn't save?

In terms of your analysis though, aren't you describing Pickard to a T? Deep in the net on goal 1, and not aggressive enough on goal 2? There are ways he could've played those which would've made them not look dangerous. Fact is, the Canucks did not have chances like that until the third, whereas the game before there were a half dozen in the first 40.
Skinner hasn't made a "big save" in the playoffs for 2 years now. The last one of those the Oilers got was Jack Campbell saving their asses on a breakaway against the Kings in relief last year to keep them from going down 3-1 in the series.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Skinner hasn't made a "big save" in the playoffs for 2 years now. The last one of those the Oilers got was Jack Campbell saving their asses on a breakaway against the Kings in relief last year to keep them from going down 3-1 in the series.
These guys arguing in bad faith about Skinner cannot explain away the 88% save percentage. Each goal can be explained away easily enough. Its not like he's getting beat by mike smith red line goals every game. But simply put 88%, as an average, is not nearly good enough. If he lets in the three boeser goals he has to make the save on lindholm. If he is can't stop lindholm then he has to make a save in the first.

Hes not doing any of that.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
He's been BRUTAL and now deserves all the shit people have been giving him, since before he really deserved it.

I gotta think if they lose tonight (unless it's a very low scoring game) then Jack Campbell starts next game.

If not him then probably Pickard.

But WHY does he deserve it? Really? I mean, he wasn't intended to be the starter. He is the victim of circumstance. It's not like he was some Vezina winner that signed a big fat free-agency contract he could never make good on.

That said, Campbell (albeit not some Vezina winner ;)) is now an afterthought, free and clear.....and Skinner is left to catch all you people's shit.

And what is Silovs?

That was what the Canucks fan were spouting....don't deny Oilers fans that when Silovs has been playing lights out. ;)

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
But WHY does he deserve it? Really? I mean, he wasn't intended to be the starter. He is the victim of circumstance. It's not like he was some Vezina winner that signed a big fat free-agency contract he could never make good on.

That said, Campbell is now an afterthought, free and clear.....and Skinner is left to catch all you people's shit.

That was what the Canucks fan were spouting....don't deny Oilers fans that when Silovs has been playing lights out. ;)
Skinners play deserves criticism. Skinner the man does not

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

That said, Campbell is now an afterthought, free and clear.....and Skinner is left to catch all you people's shit.

Skinner has been a more than fine regular season NHL goalie.

And Skinner has been better than Campbell.

Campbell was signed almost two years ago now and was basically (and rightfully) thrown out a week or two into this season.

It’s not like Skinner was thrown into the fire this year. Did everyone really think Campbell was gonna actually play more games than Skinner this year? He was abysmal last season (Skinner was solid) and abysmal for the 2022 part of the 21-22 season in Toronto.

So yeah, I do think Skinner was intended to be the starter coming into this year. Not last year, right after the Campbell contract was signed, but certainly this year he was.

Unless you believed Campbell was gonna be good again after 75-80 bad games. Sometimes that happens, but it really can’t be counted on.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

snag

Feb 22, 2014

Campbell was signed almost two years ago now and was basically (and rightfully) thrown out a week or two into this season.

It’s not like Skinner was thrown into the fire this year. Did everyone really think Campbell was gonna actually play more games than Skinner this year? He was abysmal last season (Skinner was solid) and abysmal for the 2022 part of the 21-22 season in Toronto.

So yeah, I do think Skinner was intended to be the starter coming into this year. Not last year, right after the Campbell contract was signed, but certainly this year he was.

Unless you believed Campbell was gonna be good again after 75-80 bad games. Sometimes that happens, but it really can’t be counted on.

No he didn't get thrown into the fire this yer.....it was last year and he was smoldering every since.

And carried through this year. He was not intended to be the starter, at least not this stage in his career, hence the reason they signed Campbell. Campbell wasn't up to the task and is where he is now which threw Skinner into a position as a rookie very very few rookie goalies at the age of 21/22 are ready for.

The person to REALLY be criticized is Holland as Skinner should still be "stewing" and that was made evident last playoffs and made more evident this playoffs. He has had ample time to do SOMETHING.

Don't equate what I am saying as some sort of faith in Campbell ;)

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
No he didn't get thrown into the fire this yer.....it was last year and he was smoldering every since.

And carried through this year. He was not intended to be the starter, at least not this stage in his career, hence the reason they signed Campbell. Campbell wasn't up to the task and is where he is now which threw Skinner into a position as a rookie very very few rookie goalies at the age of 21/22 are ready for.

The person to REALLY be criticized is Holland as Skinner should still be "stewing" and that was made evident last playoffs and made more evident this playoffs. He has had ample time to do SOMETHING.

Don't equate what I am saying as some sort of faith in Campbell ;)
Skinner was a rookie last year but he was 24. He'll be 26 this november.

Reactions: Bleedred

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Oilers get adequate goaltending and the HF experts say they played better defensively :laugh:

Its amazing how poor goaltending can expose every mistake a team makes. And lets be honest, even elite teams make many mistakes every game.

Whats even more amazing is that posters can't, or refuse to recognize this.
I think the Oilers were not much different defensively in game 1 then in last night's game. Difference is their goalie wasn't useless.

Last edited:

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Skinner was a rookie last year but he was 24. He'll be 26 this november.
k, I didn't check....i thought he was 24 right now....so assuming he turned during the season guestimating at 22 during last (threw the 21/22 in there due to uncertainty and laziness)

Regardless...to borrow a line from elsewhere "Just isn't ready" should have applied and those paid to recognize and address didn't.

But I agree, the play deserves criticism the man doesn't.....but too many can't seem to demarcate that.

Last edited by a moderator:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I think the Oilers were not much different defensively in game 1 then in last night's game. Difference is their goalie wasn't useless.
The Canucks were quite a bit better in game 1 imo, even if at least 4 of their goals were weak. Much more zone time, a few more scoring chances. Only game of the series where I would comfortably say they were the better team.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018

I think they wanted a tandem of sorts. Despite campbells bad season last year, he played well as the backup for the last month then played well in relief of skinner in playoffs. There was an argument they made a mistake of not giving campbell a start. So with how the seaspn ended. I could see them not wanting to panic and get another goalie agmfter year 1 of 5 year deal. And as you said, skinner had fine rookie season other than the playoffs.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Stuart Skinner, who is sporting a career .881 playoff sv%, is currently only ahead of one goalie in playoff sv% with minimum 20 games played (Dan Cloutier) who didn't play in the 1980's. Dan Cloutier is often regarded as one of if not the worst playoff performing goalies of all time. Does Skinner surpass him as the worst playoff goalie of the modern era?
Definitely not surprises ro see Glenn Healy on that list. He was tough to watch while on Toronto in late 90s.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Why did the Oilers go into the playoffs with him ? It's insane. This wouldn't be possible in Vancouver. There would be boycotts

This is reminding me of Leafs fans with Marner lol.
Marner is an elite player in the regular season.. Don't bring up Skinners regaukr season stats. Skinners play simply does not pass the eye test.

He seems like a good guy. It was criminal for Edm management to throw the whole city on his shoulders

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Why did the Oilers go into the playoffs with him ? It's insane. This wouldn't be possible in Vancouver. There would be boycotts

Marner is an elite player in the regular season.. Don't bring up Skinners regaukr season stats. Skinners play simply does not pass the eye test.

He seems like a good guy. It was criminal for Edm management to throw the whole city on his shoulders
It was very clear that he should have been pulled last year. I don't know what was going on with Campbell but for whatever reason Fat face didn't want to put him in.

Thankfully knob put the career ahler in before it was too late

Reactions: Brookbank

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad