Podcast (Audio) SportsTalkNY interview with David Quinn

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Thanks for posting, decided to have a listen while working.

Cliff notes -
- The interviewer is a big fan of Quinn's, so it was a very softball and complimentary interview
- first 5 minutes covers Quinn's career as a player including trying out for 88 Olympics and being diagnosed with hemophilia
- At around 6:30 they start talking Rangers and whether there were any goals/timetables when Quinn took the job. Quinn says "goal is to always make the playoffs", that he was aiming to make the foundation for ongoing success, that there was clarity about expectations and that the team was in the hunt for the past 2 seasons but didn't have the depth to cover injuries (especially this season)
- was asked about the 3 goalie system and praised Hank for his professionalism, regrets that he couldn't coach him earlier in his career
- talks about the effect COVID had, felt the team had the 'it' factor prior to the league going hiatus, were on of the top teams after 7 January until shutdown. Need to fight through adversity.
- around 11:00 Laf is brought up through a very softball questions about fans not understanding why players like Laf/Kakko shouldn't get lots of playing time. Quinn says it was his responsibilty to put them in positions to succeed, that it was a pretty unique situation where #1/2 picks didn't go to bad teams where it's easier to plug them into top 6/PP roles. "Opportunities have to be earned", "we're an instant gratification society"
- touched on veteran teams being able to do things the Rangers couldn't and how the team rebuilt without hitting rock bottom. Praised Gordan and spoke about people around the league thinking what the Rangers were doing was good
- around 14:00 he talks about there being no excuses, host then brings up ADA, Mike & Covid, Jack Johnson being injured (big LOL by me), the Panarin situation and coaches getting covid. Quinn basically ignores all this and mentions he'd like another shot at NHL coaching
- 18:00 asked about whether there was a change in approach with Dolan, Quinn says no and that he was alwasy supportive
- 19:00 onto ADA. Was one of the 1st to reach out after Quinn was fired, "it just wasn't going to work", "everyone learns at different stages"
- 20:40 Gauthier, mentions that players who were scores but find that harder at NHL level need to play different roles, Gauthier needs to add that
- 22:35 Howden. PLyed him based on "what he could be'. "Reliable PKer""THought there was upside"' Says in hindsight he probably should have played all of 2020 in AHL
- 24:15 they bring up the rumour of disconnect between Quinn and vet/star players. They talk about how many players had statistical best seasons under Quinn (and Fox's norris). Quinn says he doesn't really know where the talk comes from
- they talk about knowing what was needed next, that the upcoming season was going to be the start of it where they were out from the dead cap space and could cover depth issue better
- hosts talk about why if there were known roster holes the coach gets the blae. Quinn talks about looking to fix them but they know they don't need to give up 1st rounders to do so
- they talk about the Isles and Quinn talks about the impact of losing Trouba and CK being a big factor as before that we'd taken 3 of 4 points against the Isles, but couldn't cover those 2 being out with depth we had
- asked about lessons learned Quinn says he'd need a different approach to some players than how he went about things in college, would also make some changes to game day management

Not really much to it overall

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Guess I'll take one for the team here:

-Said the goal is always to make the playoffs but felt his role was the lay the long-term foundation.

-He stayed in touch with Lundqvist, said Hank handled his reduction in time with nothing but class.

-Firmly believes covid cost us a playoff spot in 19-20.

-Interviewer is absolutely kissing his ass and thinks everything he did was great.

-Mentioned that Lafreniere and Kakko started with a team that was way better than a team that typically drafts that high (absolutely true) but also implied they didn't "earn it" and that he "wants to put players in a position where they will succeed." (Ugh)

-Interviewer cries about how young and inexperienced the Rangers are. Quinn is more diplomatic. Says he did a good job getting a rebuilding team over .500 tho.

-Interviewer then makes every excuse on Earth. Says Quinn was "blindsided" by being fired after "all he accomplished." Quinn is very diplomatic here: "that's pro sports, that's the NHL, that's life, etc." Wants to coach in the NHL again, learned a lot.

-Says Jim Dolan's involvement never changed and their relationship was always business. Dolan never had an opinion on his coaching.

-Has also stayed in touch with DeAngelo. Says that letting DeAngelo go was the evolution of multiple incidents, not one thing. Thinks it was the right time to move on and DeAngelo basically knew it was coming. Says DeAngelo has "learned a lot" and will get another chance in the NHL.

-Talks about how Gauthier was the best player on the ice in warmups but thinks there's "more to it" at the NHL level. Talks about "resistance from players when asking them to do things they've never had to do before." That's part of Julien's situation. He's learning and was headed in the right direction. Thinks it will finally click but implies it may not be with the Rangers.

-The interviewer at least had the nuts to call him out on Howden. Quinn says he stuck with Howden because of upside and that opportunities to play would lead to improvement (where the f*** was this energy with Kakko?). Called him a smart player and reliable penalty killer (lol ok David). Quinn does admit that in hindsight, time in the AHL may have been the better option (kudos to Quinn for saying that).

-Quinn says his relationship with star players was mostly good. Said he "scratches his head" at the notion that the stars/vets soured on him. Thinks it's just media rumors. Cited that many players had career years under him.

-Thinks the Rangers, with dead cap coming off the books, were/are close to "completing the puzzle." Thinks Drury is great.

-Knew the New York Rangers would be a tough job and has moved on from being fired.

-"We knew we needed to get tougher but we're not gonna give up first round picks for it."

-Says the Islanders fiasco happened because Trouba and Kreider got hurt.

-Brushes right past a question about the Wilson incident. Doesn't seem to think it was a factor in his dismissal or the dismissal of others.

-If there's something he needs to improve on, he says it's that the relationships in the NHL are different from what they are in college (scratching his head tho!)

-Exchanged texts with Fox after he won the Norris. Very proud.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Good stuff. Not earth shattering…but really, neither was anything that happened that they were discussing. End of the day, he’s a good coach who was a little in over his head and didn’t get in front of a few things… which led to falling short of expectations. It happens. And he appears to have learned, too. I bet he gets another role and has better results. I think a lot of coaching success is knowing what to expect and being able to navigate a team around obstacles. It’s a bigger picture thing. It’s more leadership than anything. And when a coach makes a few mistakes, even small ones, they lose the confidence of the lockerroom. Probably part of what happened here. No fireworks. Onward and upward.

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012

Cliff notes -
- The interviewer is a big fan of Quinn's, so it was a very softball and complimentary interview
- first 5 minutes covers Quinn's career as a player including trying out for 88 Olympics and being diagnosed with hemophilia
- At around 6:30 they start talking Rangers and whether there were any goals/timetables when Quinn took the job. Quinn says "goal is to always make the playoffs", that he was aiming to make the foundation for ongoing success, that there was clarity about expectations and that the team was in the hunt for the past 2 seasons but didn't have the depth to cover injuries (especially this season)
- was asked about the 3 goalie system and praised Hank for his professionalism, regrets that he couldn't coach him earlier in his career
- talks about the effect COVID had, felt the team had the 'it' factor prior to the league going hiatus, were on of the top teams after 7 January until shutdown. Need to fight through adversity.
- around 11:00 Laf is brought up through a very softball questions about fans not understanding why players like Laf/Kakko shouldn't get lots of playing time. Quinn says it was his responsibilty to put them in positions to succeed, that it was a pretty unique situation where #1/2 picks didn't go to bad teams where it's easier to plug them into top 6/PP roles. "Opportunities have to be earned", "we're an instant gratification society"
- touched on veteran teams being able to do things the Rangers couldn't and how the team rebuilt without hitting rock bottom. Praised Gordan and spoke about people around the league thinking what the Rangers were doing was good
- around 14:00 he talks about there being no excuses, host then brings up ADA, Mike & Covid, Jack Johnson being injured (big LOL by me), the Panarin situation and coaches getting covid. Quinn basically ignores all this and mentions he'd like another shot at NHL coaching
- 18:00 asked about whether there was a change in approach with Dolan, Quinn says no and that he was alwasy supportive
- 19:00 onto ADA. Was one of the 1st to reach out after Quinn was fired, "it just wasn't going to work", "everyone learns at different stages"
- 20:40 Gauthier, mentions that players who were scores but find that harder at NHL level need to play different roles, Gauthier needs to add that
- 22:35 Howden. PLyed him based on "what he could be'. "Reliable PKer""THought there was upside"' Says in hindsight he probably should have played all of 2020 in AHL
- 24:15 they bring up the rumour of disconnect between Quinn and vet/star players. They talk about how many players had statistical best seasons under Quinn (and Fox's norris). Quinn says he doesn't really know where the talk comes from
- they talk about knowing what was needed next, that the upcoming season was going to be the start of it where they were out from the dead cap space and could cover depth issue better
- hosts talk about why if there were known roster holes the coach gets the blae. Quinn talks about looking to fix them but they know they don't need to give up 1st rounders to do so
- they talk about the Isles and Quinn talks about the impact of losing Trouba and CK being a big factor as before that we'd taken 3 of 4 points against the Isles, but couldn't cover those 2 being out with depth we had
- asked about lessons learned Quinn says he'd need a different approach to some players than how he went about things in college, would also make some changes to game day management

Not really much to it overall

Laffy and Kakko - no instant gratification, you have to earn it!

Brett f***ing Howden - you could be a reliable PKer, so I'll keep giving you chances.

:facepalm:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well it's good on him for learning lessons and being honest with himself about needing to learn more. Seems like he'd do well to find an AC gig behind an established coach for a few years before really pushing to get back behind a bench as the HC.

I questioned a lot of what he did, but also recognized the various successes we saw while he was here. Good luck to him.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

And this right here is what drove so many fans crazy. A 1OA and 2OA never got the “what could be” treatment but a career AHLer did

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Actions speak louder than words.

Quinn always said the right things, he just never did them. I don't know where the disconnect was but hopefully he figures it out.

I think that it was a mix of him maybe being a bit insecure and feeling a need to enforce ‘his ways’ while not recognizing the built in differences between the NHL and college hockey.

I wish him the best. I think Tom Renney did a much better job in the NHL his 2nd stint after being a bit of a train wreck in EDM. Tom among other things tried to bring the physical training of an NHL team in Vancouver to another level. Meanwhile Messier basically believed that after Christmas, teams should barely practice and the effort should be put on resting and recovering. The truth probably lies somewhere in between those two mindsets.

This will not be popular/understood, but I honestly think DQ just not knowing the NHL is a much bigger problem than what was acknowledged. Fans just don’t get this, but — far — from all players and coaches like “watches” hockey. Some are real nerds and watch everything, but many don’t. I bet there are coaches in the NCAA/CHL who basically haven’t watched a full NHL PO game in a decade. They love playing/coaching, the social side of things and the action. But don’t find any joy in watching hockey on TV. Don’t have the patience for it etc. I just got the sense that DQ was a bit lost as to what works in the NHL and what don’t, lacked perspective.

Reactions: TheDirtyH
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Laffy and Kakko - no instant gratification, you have to earn it!

Brett f***ing Howden - you could be a reliable PKer, so I'll keep giving you chances.

:facepalm:
His treatment of Howden clearly didn't work. At the same time, there's less riding on Howden's development than it is on Kakko and Lafreniere. So would you prefer that Quinn have taken the same tact and then ruin those two?

Reactions: deathb4disco

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008

Quinn always said the right things, he just never did them. I don't know where the disconnect was but hopefully he figures it out.

This is like 75% of the human population. And 75% is probably an underestimate.

Reactions: Krams and egelband

Gluten Free Breadman

Mar 9, 2011
ny
Help me understand the comment about Gautier.

If he was the best guy in warmups, why did he get less than 10 mins of playing time? was he not the best guy on the ice? or does that mean that everyone else was dogging it in warmups? He sat so many games, and it sounds like he worked hard so like why doesn't he get a chance?

Reactions: egelband

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I listened to his interview.
Great guy, but this isn't a personality contest.
He took his lumps and I'm sure he learned some things.
Good luck to him moving FWD but the team needed a new HC for obvious reasons.
#Facts

Reactions: Krams

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Kakko in his first year was in over his head. He was constantly outmuscled and knocked down, often coming back to the bench gassed and his play away from the puck was atrocious. His second season all of that improved a lot. As far as the points he was kind of snakebit but he was a vastly improved player.

Lafreniere hadn’t played in 10 months + before he made the jump from the CHL to the NHL. No development camp, no Traverse City, not much of a training camp or preseason schedule. He struggled a lot in the first half and we often saw opponents breaking out on his wing like he was a swinging gate because his positioning wasn’t great. He adjusted as the season went along and was looking really good towards season’s end.

I think the Rangers worked hard with both these players to help them to make adjustments they needed to make.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne

If he was the best guy in warmups, why did he get less than 10 mins of playing time? was he not the best guy on the ice? or does that mean that everyone else was dogging it in warmups? He sat so many games, and it sounds like he worked hard so like why doesn't he get a chance?

My understanding of what he was trying to say was that Gauthier's tools looked great until the game started, and then his tools weren't as effective as they needed to be. To counter this he needed to change up his game, but was unable to and needs to learn how to add some more strings to his bow if he wants to be a regular

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Possibly because he was awful in the actual games.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Forever amused that fans think they have a great read on a coach's abilities to coach.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

Yeah but situations often determine what a coach does in a certain moment. It takes experience to know what’s coming and be able to steer the team around the storms. Quinn just isn’t there yet. I think he has the talent, though, to eventually be an excellent NHL coach.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Good listen. Interviewer was a fan boy but Quinn comes off as genuine and not bitter. When Gorts/J.D. were let go, it was obvious that he needed to follow, but I never thought he was as bad as some made him out to be. I found the team's style of play much more palatable than the AV teams. Usage confused me sometimes but that's every coach. I could see how coaching strategies that work with college players may be ineffective with established NHL vets and there could have been a disconnect. Like 2k2 said, the path forward for him is an assistant/associate coaching role and try to parlay that into another head coaching opportunity once he has paid his dues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad