Prospect Info: Ryan Johnson, D, 2019 #31 overall: Signed, Rochester (AHL), Assigned 3/8/24

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Count me in the "he'll be traded" by the draft faction.
Would love to keep Johnson but feels like the writing is on the wall for him.
What did I miss?

Can't see him holding enough value around the league to make a trade worthwhile for us. Feels like the ideal #8 to continue developing in Roch next year.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
What did I miss?

Can't see him holding enough value around the league to make a trade worthwhile for us. Feels like the ideal #8 to continue developing in Roch next year.
Yea, he doesn’t seem like a resource that would be dealt for the sake of dealing him.

He had a solid first year, and I could see him being a first calllup next season

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Where is this said wall, and who is talking about him getting moved? Or are you just thinking that on your own based on what the current depth chart looks like? He seems like a decent asset that has room to grow if Buffalo gets itself in a cap strap issue.
Nobody is saying it that I've seen. I suppose I just meant I wouldn't be surprised that if they move a prospect that Johnson is part of a positional surplus that we currently have.

I don't want to see him moved, I really like him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nobody is saying it that I've seen. I suppose I just meant I wouldn't be surprised that if they move a prospect that Johnson is part of a positional surplus that we currently have.

I don't want to see him moved, I really like him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is.

They were two injuries from him being used sooner than we expected last year. They can still use him as an #8 but let him be the recall when an injury happens, essentially carrying a Bryson type as the 7 in case someone gets sick prior to the game day skate or whatever, the EBUD if you will but in long-term situations Ryan is the option for this coming season. That still likely puts him into 40-50 games and cheaply.

Reactions: Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I think Ryan Johnson is low on the list of players moved unless it's for a bigger deal. I'm sure they aren't shopping him. At worst he's a great #7 who can slot anywhere in the lineup after another defenseman gets inevitably injured - and he has a LOT of room to grow. He's also cheap and cost controlled for a long while.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I think Ryan Johnson is low on the list of players moved unless it's for a bigger deal. I'm sure they aren't shopping him. At worst he's a great #7 who can slot anywhere in the lineup after another defenseman gets inevitably injured - and he has a LOT of room to grow. He's also cheap and cost controlled for a long while.
I might be alone but I definitely think that the bigger deal comes this summer tbh

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

I don't see him getting moved. I'd be shocked if he WAS moved. I'd think he would be the #7 defenseman for the organization at the very least, and as we know the team doesn't go through a season without injuries/rotations. Right now, he'd be #6 in terms of guys being under contract. I can see Adams maybe getting one other veteran for the defense. Maybe to replace Joki or play the 3rd pairing.

I think Clague is let go to free agency (not signed), and I don't see Bryson being brought back. With Ruff as coach, I don't see so many of the same type of defenseman, and I think he's the odd man out, in terms of age, and just potential for growth.

Johnson also has a pretty good gap of NHL readiness to the next defensemen in the system. I don't see anybody really pushing HIM for ice time, as of right now (current pool).

IMO, I think you're worrying over nothing.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I would hope he isn't moved.

I think he is very close to being a top 4 dman right now. I loved his game last year. If you have him on bottom pair it means you have a very good top 4.

Guy is just smooth and makes the right decisions

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I would hope he isn't moved.

I think he is very close to being a top 4 dman right now. I loved his game last year. If you have him on bottom pair it means you have a very good top 4.

Guy is just smooth and makes the right decisions
You think he's near top 4 quality for the playoff caliber team we aspire to be? I think that's a big stretch at the moment. We'd have one of the best D corps in the league if he's already that good.

To me he hasn't shown the consistency to even be a regular #6 yet. He wore down as the season continued and the holes in his game began showing. Definitely excited to see if he can use that experience and adapt to a full pro season next year between Roch and here.

Reactions: Jacob582

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
You think he's near top 4 quality for the playoff caliber team we aspire to be? I think that's a big stretch at the moment. We'd have one of the best D corps in the league if he's already that good.

To me he hasn't shown the consistency to even be a regular #6 yet. He wore down as the season continued and the holes in his game began showing. Definitely excited to see if he can use that experience and adapt to a full pro season next year between Roch and here.

Ya.. id take him on bottom pair for a bunch of bottom pair D that were in playoffs.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad