RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Your post is full with nothing but excuses. For a prospect once seen as a real alternative to Bedard certainly a lot went wrong for Michkov recently and there are lots of red flags compared to Bedard who can't seem to put a foot wrong. Like I said, it's possible that Michkov generational but let's not make that conclusion before he even played in the NHL.
There were no generational talents who was good defensively in their age against pros. You are digging the wrong hole. Its your hole and it is burying you.
_____

I dont understand this position. Why not saying - they drafted for needs over BPA, may be they were wrong, Michkov is doing great and producing great, of course he needs to work on his defensive side. Great to see the talent in NHL sooner than we thought.

No. We should imagine and translate false stuff about him again and again. Kid lost his father, was ill through the year with pneumonia and still produced with bad team against second hardest competition he could play. Still continue to sh1t on player.

The "problem" is obvious and it is his nationality. But people are trying to hide it by made-up nonsense. It's okay - it's just better this way. He will arrive earlier and feed properly all those who deserve it. If there are mentally undeveloped people among the fans of the flyers, well, they will have to endure the enthusiastic reviews of their own colleagues for the love of the club.

Last edited:

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Patrick was the favored #1 pick for most of that year though, who could have predicted all of the injuries? I don't agree with this comparison.

I think a better comparison would be Tony DeAngelo, a lot of teams passed on him despite his talent level because he was seen as a toxic locker room teammate.
Agree, cant hate the Patrick pick. I remember winning the 2nd lottery. Was VERY happy since him and Hischier were almost unanimous 1-2 predictions. At they stayed at 7 they were getting Lias Andersson (Cody Glass at 6) so…

Some wise guy will come in here and say he was picking Makar 1oa but it came down to Hischier 1st at around 75% day of draft when Patrick didnt finish the season with a shoulder i believe.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
GMBA said he hadn't met with Michkov one day before the draft.

At 2:15ish.

That's why (at least partially) Arizona passed on him and there are rumours that he avoided or didn't want to go to Arizona.

Very interesting video in general looking back.

Nah every team that passed on him only had stupid reasons to do so! /s
Imagine taking a dude 6 overall that you couldnt even get in contact with before hand?

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Agree, cant hate the Patrick pick. I remember winning the 2nd lottery. Was VERY happy since him and Hischier were almost unanimous 1-2 predictions. At they stayed at 7 they were getting Lias Andersson (Cody Glass at 6) so…

Some wise guy will come in here and say he was picking Makar 1oa but it came down to Hischier 1st at around 75% day of draft when Patrick didnt finish the season with a shoulder i believe.
It’s the scouts jobs to know the in and outs of the players, including injuries and proclivity to them.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Nolan Patrick is retired from hockey. Makar and Petterson are superstars.

Michkov and three other players drafted before him have yet to play a single game in the nhl, let alone establish themselves as superstars.

Carlsson and Fantilli had somewhat unimpressive rookie seasons statistically. So did Alex barkov.

It's too early to be speaking in absolutes.

The draft you referenced was 7 years ago. Michkov was drafted last summer.

Following?

Exactly. They thought Patrick was 2nd best player of the draft, so they picked him 2OA. They weren't afraid or stupid, but just wrong...

Reactions: Fatass

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
While I think the Habs made a mistake it's also not a reflection on Reinbacher who is still looking like an excellent prospect.

This ain't no Juolevi/Tkachuk situation here.
in no way did i put down Reinbacher, not sure where you took that away from my statement...I am a big fan of his, watched him play a bunch here at the World Juniors in Halifax...but i am saying Michkov was right up with Bedard he just never got the hype because of the whole Russian situation...I am saying it is stupid to pass up a talent like that...that is what i said.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Exactly. They thought Patrick was 2nd best player of the draft, so they picked him 2OA. They weren't afraid or stupid, but just wrong...
Exactly. And with 7 years of time since the draft we can speak conclusively.

Just like we can say that Angelo Esposito fell for very good reason.

Right now, I think it's early to call scouts and organizations names when none of the players from last year's draft have carved out any kind of reputation in the nhl yet.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If teams passed on mm because he showed disinterest towards the team I think that's a good reason to pass on him as well.

If a kid is anything less than ecstatic to have the opportunity to speak to any nhl team it's certainly reason for pause. Ironically Philly knows about this all too well

Reactions: Hinterland

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
If teams passed on mm because he showed disinterest towards the team I think that's a good reason to pass on him as well.

If a kid is anything less than ecstatic to have the opportunity to speak to any nhl team it's certainly reason for pause. Ironically Philly knows about this all too well

I dunno, because Michkov would still have trade value. I'm sure Arizona/Utah could get exponentially more in return for Michkov than what they picked up in Simashev.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
How long has it been since Flyers’ games were a must watch for non Flyer fans? Michkov has that “it” factor that isn’t measurable. Bedard has “it” too. IMO they are the two guys from their draft with “it”.
Maybe when Jagr played here one season? Other than that, Lindros. I agree, we will definitely see a Michkov/Bedard battle to some degree like we saw Crosby/Ovie

Reactions: GordieHowYaDoin

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Cant predict injuries.
Sean Monahan played 83 games but averaged 50 previous 4.

This draft Lindstrom is carrying more injury risk. Wont drop far.
You certainly can when you review previous injury history. If there isn't a history, sure, can't predict. If there is, then you can, because the likeliest factor that determines future injury is if there's been previous similar injuries.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The purpose of the draft is to acquire asset value. The only purpose. One day execs will realize that but it might take another 30 years
When you have to move a prospect because he doesn't want to play for your team you don't get good value.

Philly would have been better off picking any of the players that went 6-10 in 2022 rather than trying to reclaim value in a trade for Gauthier

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
When you have to move a prospect because he doesn't want to play for your team you don't get good value.

Philly would have been better off picking any of the players that went 6-10 in 2022 rather than trying to reclaim value in a trade for Gauthier
But you are making 2 assumptions here.

First you are assuming that Philly knew on draft day that Gauthier would never want to play in Philly and I don't think that's the case.

Secondly, you are assuming that all those players develop and turn out better than Gauthier which seems unlikely even close to 2 years after the draft never mind on draft day.

The Flyers also got a pretty decent package for Gauther back even if Drysdale is looking "shaky", most 21 year old Dmen do on 2 poor teams.

At the time of the trade I thought it was decent value but who knows Torts might grind Dysdale into the ground.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
But you are making 2 assumptions here.

First you are assuming that Philly knew on draft day that Gauthier would never want to play in Philly and I don't think that's the case.

Secondly, you are assuming that all those players develop and turn out better than Gauthier which seems unlikely even close to 2 years after the draft never mind on draft day.
I think you need to go back and read the conversation from the start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad