OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Wetherholt is very polished and would be a guy they can fast track but after Bednar I’m over the local guys as it becomes way too important to some.
Yeah if he fell to us it would be a blessing.

For now there’s a pretty clear cut top 8. Barring someone doing something stupid:

Condon
Bazzana
Caglione
Montgomery
Burns
Kurtz
Wetherholt

Kurtz was the consensus number 1 after last year’s draft. Wetherholt took the top spot at the start of the college season. Injuries to both players have hurt their stock slightly on top of Condon playing the game on rookie mode. You never want to draft based on need but Kurtz/caglione would be a godsend.

After those 8 you run into Konnor Griffin who is an elite high school prospect but I don’t trust this organization to develop him.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
And people chat about drafts and 40 man roster spots like it makes any difference.

This team leaving Pittsburgh after 2030 seems like a real possibility and if this is what we get year in and year out?

Good f***ing riddance.

Imagine new players coming and and seeing murals of winning teams from 40+ years ago. Endless droning about the glory days, Bob Clemente, etc. Nothing since then. Nothing of any real consequence.

Players today can't even remember a time when this franchise won consistently.

And history matters zilch. The A's are being moved to Vegas. It's only about money and Pittsburgh is not a money making market.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
And people chat about drafts and 40 man roster spots like it makes any difference.

This team leaving Pittsburgh after 2030 seems like a real possibility and if this is what we get year in and year out?

Good f***ing riddance.

Imagine new players coming and and seeing murals of winning teams from 40+ years ago. Endless droning about the glory days, Bob Clemente, etc. Nothing since then. Nothing of any real consequence.

Players today can't even remember a time when this franchise won consistently.

And history matters zilch. The A's are being moved to Vegas. It's only about money and Pittsburgh is not a money making market.

You can stop following the team, you know. If you hate it this much, why not just not pay attention?

Reactions: Factorial

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
there is a strain of outrage hardcore fandom where anyone who isnt equally as mad isnt a real fan. this is despite the fact a lot of fans of the pirates are approaching their fandom from an already compromised position. the club stinks, lets find something in it to enjoy etc

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
My biggest frustration right now is the insistence by the front office and staff that everything will work itself out. On pace for 70 wins 1/5 through the season. Eventually you have to stop shrugging your shoulders and saying bad luck. Eventually you have to make moves.

And no, sending down one relief pitcher for another won’t cut it. It’s like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Meh, Glad I just skipped through it.

I continue to look at # of Runs Scored as the only metric I care about.
You can't score 2.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

His sole accomplishment is basically acquiring Bednar.

Not that I disagree with the message of Cherington doing a shitty job, but comparing the fWAR to currently good major league guys to prospects (which is what Cherington targeted with those moves) isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison.

With that being said, the performances of the young guys they acquired in those deals supports the idea that he has made numerous terrible trades. The fact that they have so little on the MLB roster from those moves just shows how badly he has done with those moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad