Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
So far those interested include:
1. Myself
2. @SHLfantasycamp
3. @Professor What
4. @Leaf Lander
5. @ResilientBeast

The idea is you can pick as many players as you want at any stage of the draft, but when you run out of roster space, you are done. Each phase will have a separate draft order. Maybe this is good for summer.

The first draft could have the eras go in order (could use some help here, this probably depends on what we want to explore in each "era"). The eras can go in random order in subsequent drafts if the idea appeals. Same procedural rules as the last ATD. A player has to have more of their ATD7 seasons in one era over another? Can be rulings made beforehand?

1. Pre-NHL
2. 1917-1927
3. 1927-1942
4. Original Six: 1942-1967
5. Expansion Era: 1967-1994?
6. 1994-2005?
6. International Hockey as a separate category?
7. Salary Cap Era: 2005-Present

Thoughts? Complaints? Silence?

Last edited:

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Not sure if this is a good time for this. The ATD starts in March?

The idea is you can pick as many players as you want at any stage of the draft, but when you run out of picks, you are done. Each phase will have a separate draft order.

The first draft will have the eras go in order (could use some help here). This can be moved around in subsequent drafts if the idea appeals. Same procedural rules as the last ATD.

1. Pre-NHL
2. 1917-1927
3. 1927-1942
4. Original Six: 1942-1967
5. Expansion Era: 1967-?
6. International Hockey
7. Modern Era: ?-Present

Thoughts? Complaints? Silence?
I'm intrigued.

Maybe use the 1994 lockout as the split between the expansion era and the modern era? Not necessarily a perfect split, but it's a clear marker and it would make the eras roughly equal in length.

Reactions: tinyzombies

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I'm intrigued.

Maybe use the 1994 lockout as the split between the expansion era and the modern era? Not necessarily a perfect split, but it's a clear marker and it would make the eras roughly equal in length.
And the rule changes and salary cap that happened after the 2004-05 lockout make that seem like a natural break also.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
And the rule changes that happened after the 2004-05 lockout make that seem like a natural break also?
That's true. Stylistically, it's probably a better split. It just wouldn't leave a lot of time for the modern era. I guess it's something to have a larger discussion about.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
That's true. Stylistically, it's probably a better split. It just wouldn't leave a lot of time for the modern era. I guess it's something to have a larger discussion about.
Could split the modern era up further actually since teams started using advanced stats, there's possession play, there has been an explosion of offense recently with the new rules and the tactical adjustments. Etc. Depends on what you want to explore. The eras could be defined differently each year of the draft as well. But that's limited because the players obviously don't play in perfect sections.

Last edited:

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Could split the modern era up further actually since teams started using advanced stats, there's possession play, there has been an explosion of offense recently with the new rules and the tactical adjustments. Etc. Depends on what you want to explore. The eras could be defined differently each year of the draft as well.
If it was split up further, the DPE and its environs could be isolated as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad