Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
No one else in the league is expected to do what he is expected to do with literally AHLers and healthy scratches

"He should elevate his linemates!!!"

He has a guy who has scored one goal in the entire calendar year and it's mid May on one side, and a guy who was just healthy scratched on the other.

In order to "elevate" his linemates he has to rent an excavator and tunnel underground first. I'd like him to be better, sure, but no other star player in the league has to deal with anything close to this.

While this is all true (and I agree), it doesn't explain Pettersson making neutral zone and dzone mistakes. Not only is he not contributing offensively, he's starting to hurt the team defensively... and that's just unacceptable. At base, you need Game 1 Pettersson back. There, he was doing everything but scoring.

Mikheyev and Karlsson, despite the lack of skill, are creating a possession differential. Pettersson needs to join in that and consistently push play up ice. He does that enough, and a random event will lead to a goal. It's about possession and volume now. Not about the perfect play or skilled help.

Pettersson has to step up, in one form or another. This is it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Pettersson's linemates aren't causing him to not move his feet and compete or try to make plays and attack defenders.

And he gets consistent PP1 minutes and is bad there and the Lotto Line gets put together pretty regularly and he's bad with them and they gave him Boeser and Hoglander as linemates for a stretch to end the season and he was bad with them too.

It's such a cop-out. JT Miller still looked fantastic playing with Phil Di Giuseppe.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I've been a Petey apologist, at this point the only cope I have left is hoping he's playing with an injury or multiple injuries that are limiting his play offensively.

If not then he's clearly a bit of a headcase and should go the MacKinnon route and hire a personal sports psychologist

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Hank had Burrs even when Daniel was down. I don’t think we have seen any stars other than Mario play with scrubs and expect to dominate.
Crosby, OV, Malkin, and Datsyuk have all recently dominated with bottom of the line-up players. Mind you, comparing anyone to the likes of Crosby or OV is not really a fair comparison. However, when you watched a guy like Crosby put up 120 points with Colby Armstrong and Nils Ekman, it was obvious he didn't have the help he needed but he still looked like an absolute force every time he touched the ice and it was obvious his linemates weren't converting on all of the plays they should. Pettersson isn't passing the eye test here and his linemates are a factor but not the factor in why he is playing so poorly. Quite frankly, the linemates excuse is a pretty poor one at best.

I really do hope he has an injury (that will heal longterm) because this level of play from him is incredibly concerning. I can't remember the last time a star player has fallen off a cliff like this and looked so disengaged. If the Canucks end up losing later down the road, in the Conference Finals or Finals, and everyone else on the team is contributing except Pettersson – he will not hear the end of it.

Last edited:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Crosby, OV, Malkin, and Datsyuk have all recently dominated with bottom of the line-up players. Mind you, comparing anyone to the likes of Crosby or OV is not really a fair comparison. However, when you watched a guy like Crosby put up 120 points with Colby Armstrong and Nils Ekman, it was obvious he didn't have the help he needed but he still looked like an absolute force every time he touched the ice and it was obvious his linemates weren't converting on all of the plays they should. Pettersson isn't passing the eye test here and his linemates are a factor but not the factor in why he is playing so poorly. Quite frankly, the linemates excuse is a pretty poor one at best.

I really do hope he has an injury (that will heal longterm) because this level of play from him is incredibly concerning. I can't remember the last time a star player has fallen off a cliff like this and looked so disengaged. If the Canucks end up losing later down the road, in the Conference Finals or Finals, and everyone else on the team is contributing except Pettersson – he will not hear the end of it.
OV played with Backstrom for almost his whole career minus this year.
Malkin and Crosby played with 30/40 goal scorers throughout their career.
Datsyuk played with Zetterberg..

Reactions: rypper

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I really, really hope this guy is seriously injured because his effort level has been simply pathetic way too often in the playoffs.

The linemate excuse is a valid - though only partial - excuse 5-on-5 but it doesn't do anything to explain his embarrassing play on most powerplays.

Getting extremely frustrating watching him.

Last edited:

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
OV played with Backstrom for almost his whole career minus this year.
Malkin and Crosby played with 30/40 goal scorers throughout their career.
Datsyuk played with Zetterberg..
Ovechkin scored 52 goals playing with Brooks Laich and Dainius Zubrus, Crosby won a Hart/Pearson/Art Ross with Nils Ekman and Colby Armstrong, Malkin won an Art Ross and Smythe with Ruslan Fedetenko and Maxime Talbot, and Datsyuk had Justin Abdelkader stapled to him. Regardless of the fact that all of these players also played with other top players during the course of their careers, they all put up elite numbers playing without much support.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I really, really hope this guy is seriously injured because his effort level has been simply pathetic way too often in the playoffs.

The linemate excuse is a valid - though only partial - excuse 5-on-5 but it doesn't do anything to explain his embarrassing play on most powerplays.

Getting extremely frustrating watching him.
I was making all kinds of excuses for him earlier in the season, I truly did believe he was injured.

Not anymore.

He's played every single game this season. If a player is injured, they will take advantage of any time off they can get.

Rick Tocchet is a straight shooter, he's the type to say if someone is hurt.

6 days ago: Canucks vs. Oilers: Rick Tocchet insists Elias Pettersson isn't injured

The team isn’t using illness to cover for another injury to Pettersson, he said.

“We don’t lie here,” he said, with emphasis.

Unprompted, Tocchet said he’s aware that there’s been speculation about whether Pettersson is carrying some sort of injury, perhaps to his back or his wrist. But he moved to quash that speculation.

“He’s just a little sick,” he said.

Pettersson, for his part, said he’s feeling fine.

Reactions: ForecheckBackcheck

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
And now that we've established that he's not injured...

Saying that Pettersson has been a complete disappointment would be a massive understatement.

Spare me the "yeah but he had a great shift!" "he had three shot attempts!" "he won a key faceoff!"

None of that is remotely close to being good enough. His job is to produce offensively at an elite level.

Elias Pettersson has four points these playoffs.

Four.

He's tied for 7th in team scoring with Carson Soucy.

Ian Cole, Nils Hoglander, Tyler Myers and Teddy Blueger all have the same amount of points as Pettersson does in the Edmonton series.

Lindholm had more goals in Game 3 than Pettersson does in the entire playoffs.

But, but but, his linemates!

He has two goals in his last 23 games.

You know who else has two goals in his last 23 games? Sam Lafferty.

You know who else has two goals in his last 23 games? Phill Di Giuseppe.

Do those guys have better linemates than Pettersson?

How many minutes do those guys play on the #1 PP unit with JT Miller, Quinn Hughes and Brock Boeser?

There's quite literally no more excuses left for this guy.

He's been absolutely bailed out by the fact that JT Miller is the true #1C of this team and carries the load both offensively and defensively.

Remember when Pettersson was supposed to be an “elite defensive forward?” Why isn’t he tasked with matching up with McDavid?

He’s not even tasked with matching up with Draisaitl.

They gave him the matchup against Ryan McLeod hoping he could take advantage of the mismatch and create something 5-on-5. Of course he's done no such thing.

Imagine being JT Miller and being the “everything” #1C for this team while Pettersson contributes absolutely nothing? While making way more money than you?

Whatever criticism Pettersson has received, he deserves way more.

I legitimately haven’t seen a star player regress this hard since Jonathan Huberdeau.

We're stuck with him for 8 more years, so I sure hope he figures it out.

But he's let this team down so far in these playoffs. Which is a real shame considering it's our best shot at a deep run in 13 long years.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
We have not established that he’s not injured. It's the playoffs, they aren’t going to disclose anything the same way Draisaitl is having “cramps”

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
And now that we've established that he's not injured...

Saying that Pettersson has been a complete disappointment would be a massive understatement.

Spare me the "yeah but he had a great shift!" "he had three shot attempts!" "he won a key faceoff!"

None of that is remotely close to being good enough. His job is to produce offensively at an elite level.

Elias Pettersson has four points these playoffs.

Four.

He's tied for 7th in team scoring with Carson Soucy.

Ian Cole, Nils Hoglander, Tyler Myers and Teddy Blueger all have the same amount of points as Pettersson does in the Edmonton series.

Lindholm had more goals in Game 3 than Pettersson does in the entire playoffs.

But, but but, his linemates!

He has two goals in his last 23 games.

You know who else has two goals in his last 23 games? Sam Lafferty.

You know who else has two goals in his last 23 games? Phill Di Giuseppe.

Do those guys have better linemates than Pettersson?

How many minutes do those guys play on the #1 PP unit with JT Miller, Quinn Hughes and Brock Boeser?

There's quite literally no more excuses left for this guy.

He's been absolutely bailed out by the fact that JT Miller is the true #1C of this team and carries the load both offensively and defensively.

Remember when Pettersson was supposed to be an “elite defensive forward?” Why isn’t he tasked with matching up with McDavid?

He’s not even tasked with matching up with Draisaitl.

They gave him the matchup against Ryan McLeod hoping he could take advantage of the mismatch and create something 5-on-5. Of course he's done no such thing.

Imagine being JT Miller and being the “everything” #1C for this team while Pettersson contributes absolutely nothing? While making way more money than you?

Whatever criticism Pettersson has received, he deserves way more.

I legitimately haven’t seen a star player regress this hard since Jonathan Huberdeau.

We're stuck with him for 8 more years, so I sure hope he figures it out.

But he's let this team down so far in these playoffs. Which is a real shame considering it's our best shot at a deep run in 13 long years.
Yeah, I feel like the last 10 minutes of this game (and Tocchet's last few pressers) pretty much settled this issue. He got off a few really good shots, engaged in battles, won a key faceoff and had flashes where he looked dangerous. But if he is as badly injured as many of his defenders would have you believe, how did he pull all of that off?

At this point, people need to park the excuses. Tocchet said he didn't have any injuries and even called him out today as needing to "step up", most likely including Pettersson in the group of 5-7 players who "forgot that this is the playoffs".

This is really worrisome. It wouldn't have me as worried if it hadn't already happened in the past. He has had previous stretches where he has looked disinterested and checked out, for whatever reason, and here we are again. He's been defended stubbornly at every turn "Oh, he's injured... he's over-thinking things... his linemates suck... he's trying to get Benning fired... etc."

Time to just accept that this is on him and only he can pull himself out of it. I desperately hope he does.

We have not established that he’s not injured. It's the playoffs, they aren’t going to disclose anything the same way Draisaitl is having “cramps”
Draisaitl's "cramps" haven't stopped him from being the best player in this series.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Pettersson was going in the final period. The few shifts he got with Suter and Boeser, he was right on the edge of it.

You just can't put him with Lafferty and Mikheyev. It doesn't work. Put Hoglander back on his wing.

Or if Miller isn't going early in game 5, move him up with Suter and Boeser.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad