Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
NIchushkin is exactly what this team needs on the ice.

I wonder if his contract would count against the cap if he violated the PA program rules again and got the boot from the league for good.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It does not.
1715780876076.png

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I think Jarry is largely untradable right now without salary coming back but with GMs having such short memories a good season or even just a good October and November can easily change that.

Couple names out there ALSO need salary coming back. Two can play / tango here.

Jarry can be our salary going back - Smith as the easy trade with 1 year left.

Your shiny toy this Summer is Pettersson 100% and the team would be silly not to shop. Not saying you don't have to replace him at some point but desperate times and all.

I hate our forward group for the past 5 years straight...but it's hard to ignore the crease and D corps as well. Certainly a legitimate (not 37 year old Sid carrying "legitimate) - LEGITIMATE top 6 forward is very, very necessary (two if it were up to me).... but yeah those other areas are a bit rough.

Goalie can be fixed by comittee. What we're doing on defense is anyone's guess at this point. Unless Graves becomes a Dumo-lite and learns how to handle the puck NOT like a grenade after two decades of hockey, that'll be some tough money on the third pairing.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Honestly, I'm interested to see if Toronto would trade Nicholas Robertson.

He's a Kyle Dubas pick, had 14 goals this season in 50 games. I think if you're moving Reilly Smith, he's someone younger who could potentially come in and play in the bottom-six, especially if they move O'Connor to the top-six.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
People whine about this team being old, and then when a legitimate option like Robertson is thrown out, people complain because "he'll block Puustinen!" :laugh:

Idk what some of you want at this point. Robertson would be an incredibly acquisition if he can be pulled off. He was on a 20 goal, 40 point pace while spending most of his minutes with Domi and Jarnkrok. He'd be a massive improvement if the Penguins could somehow pull him off. Not only is there space for both Robertson and Puustinen, but Robertson is both better and younger than Puustinen.
Please stop talking about pulling players off. We aren't that desperate.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I don't know how anyone who has watched almost every "goalie tandem" team get soaked because of shit goaltending these POs and come to the conclusion that we should sell TJ off for nothing and go with two unknowns.

Toronto
LA
Carolina
Edmonton
Colorado

Outside of Vancouver who's riding their 3rd guy but also has a guy who is a legit #1, it's all #1 goalies leading the way:
Ottinger
Bob
Shesterkin

I'd much rather change the coach and see if a better system will fix the goalie problems than move our starter for magic beans and hope Sully's system doesn't screw them.
I’d much rather change both, because both have failed in the postseason numerous times.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
But if it doesn't count against the cap if he has any further "indiscretions", I'm not sure what the risk is.

Spending assets on a drug addict who's one failed drug test away from being banned for a year doesn't really seem to be worth it.

That's like saying "who cares if Martavis Bryant keeps getting suspended for smoking weed, he's a great deep route WR when he plays". The problem is he doesn't play because he's keeps failing drug tests due to being an addict.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Dubas' agent is changing sides, joining the Utah TBDs in their front office. Always helpful for a GM to have a friendly face/connection in another team's front office. Not a guarantee of future Utah-Pittsburgh deals, but it's a possibility.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Pittsburgh Penguins

Pittsburgh starts its offseason cap-strapped and frustrated by an inability to turn a stunning season from Sidney Crosby into a playoff spot. There’s a lot more pressure on Kyle Dubas to build a winner in a hurry: beyond the obvious aging concerns, Crosby is entering the final year of his 12-year, $8.7 million AAV contract, with Evgeni Malkin up next in 2026. The team seems desperate to give its longtime stars one more shot at the playoffs and, if Ehlers were cheaper than $6 million, it would be easy to imagine a hockey trade developing between the Penguins and Jets.

Instead, one is left looking at 2025 UFA Reilly Smith’s $5 million AAV contract after a disappointing 40-point Penguins debut season. Smith is a left-shooting Canadian winger whose best seasons both involved beating Winnipeg in the playoffs; he was a Cup champion in Vegas last year while also part of the original 2017-18 Golden Knights club. Maybe there’s a way to supplement Smith, 33, with draft picks, or to find Pittsburgh alternate salary cap relief. Either way, the Penguins’ inclusion on this list is about pressure and urgency in that market more than an obvious trade fit.

Koivunen / Pickering + 2nd for Ehlers is what I'd do and hopefully dump a contract back like Eller, Pulju or Acciari.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Subscriptions man.... Why post them.
Lol…I forgot…here’s part of the article..you can figure out who they talked to lol

“One thing the Penguins could have done was make a change behind the bench. But they retained Sullivan, a decision Ferraro and Boudreau both understood.

“I think Mike Sullivan is a hell of coach,” Boudreau said. “All good coaches, they look at what they’ve got and have ideas of how they want to play. But if it’s not working, they change it. Mike Sullivan will look over everything this summer and say, ‘OK, we have to make some adjustments.’ And then he’ll make them.”

Ferraro echoed that. But he noted the roster is constructed to play an up-tempo style and said it could be problematic if they installed a totally different system.

Another area of interest is the goaltending situation. Dubas recently supported Jarry and said the Penguins could let Nedeljkovic leave in free agency and go with Blomqvist as the backup. Button believes sticking with Jarry is a mistake.

Ferraro thinks Jarry is an above-average starter with untapped upside. But he, too, used the words “inconsistent” and “unreliable” to describe the former All-Star.

Said Button, “You can bolster your lineup. You can get more speed and a little more youth. You can do everything right, and [goaltending] can still sink you.”

To get back to Cup contention in the short term, the Penguins will need that and a bunch of other things to break right. It may be impossible for them to pull it off.

But Button said they might as well keep going for it — within reason, of course.

“I’m not suggesting you go and be silly about it,” he said. “But when you have so much money committed to players, what are they going to do? Not try to win?”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad