Pascal Vincent: Stay or Go?

Will the Jackets fire Pascal Vincent?

• Total voters

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I;m too lazy or at at least not awake enough to research but are there any experienced coaches who are good with young players that are available? I know Gallant is out there but iirc he isn't too good with the younger players.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
So... if somebody actually watched the games all through the season, did you see improvement, something in the overall arch of the season that makes you go, yeah this Pascal could be a really good coach for them come next year? I tuned out somewhere around uhmm... February I think, possibly earlier... I think the injury to Fantilli was pretty much last straw for me, didn't watch many games after that.

From what I remember, early on there were some things that made me think they are in the middle of a "process" and playing better (apart from 3rd periods...) than their record indicates, but then nothing really seemed to ever change in terms of results...

DankoCBJ

Feb 19, 2022
I;m too lazy or at at least not awake enough to research but are there any experienced coaches who are good with young players that are available? I know Gallant is out there but iirc he isn't too good with the younger players.

Not saying that these are especially good with young players but available coaches nevertheless:

- Jay Woodcroft (former EDM headcoach)
- Dean Evason (former MIN headcoach)
- Gerard Gallant (former headcoach)
- Dave Hakstol (former SEA headcoach)
- Todd McLellan (former LAK headcoach)
- David Quinn (former SJS headcoach)

Evason or Woodcroft might be interesting candidates if Waddell lets Vincent go...

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
"So... if somebody actually watched the games all through the season, did you see improvement, something in the overall arch of the season that makes you go, yeah this Pascal could be a really good coach for them come next year?"

For me there was a stretch I guess in late Feb or March where the Jackets beat the Rangers, then lost to the Rangers in NY by a goal plus a couple empty netters, lost to Carolina by a goal plus empty netter, and beat Vegas and Edmonton. During that stretch I thought they are getting it, PV has them going now just in time to wreck their draft position. All the lines were clicking, if memory serves Tex, KJ, and Nylander were breaking out. The 4th line of Danforth, Olivier, Kuraly were going good. The Russian line was rolling and the top line with Rosolovic on it was playing well.

That was a tough stretch of good teams and even though they didn't win them all suddenly the wins were good and the losses were competitive even from an analytics point of view things were really improved.

Then just as quick as it started Roslovic was traded (no surprise), Danforth, Kuraly, Chinakhov, Nylander, KJ and Boone were out. That doesn't even count D injuries. All the lines were disrupted and there were more Monsters in the lineup than Jackets. Whatever chemistry was developing was gone and the Jackets limped to the end of the season.

That one very brief stretch gave a glimmer of hope that PV might be a pretty good coach. Not his fault they had all those injuries. It was a short stretch maybe it meant nothing at all but it was the one thing that made me say "yeah this Pasacal could be a really good coach for them next year"

Not much but it was something.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
i'd be ecstatic with evason or gallant. i'm still surprised (and upset) that they didn't just go for gallant the last two times they had openings.

absolutely do not want hakstol after the seattle players basically mutinied against him during exit interviews this year.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Not saying that these are especially good with young players but available coaches nevertheless:

Evason or Woodcroft might be interesting candidates if Waddell lets Vincent go...
Evason and Woodcroft would be my top 2 here from this list. Apparently McLellan told San Jose he wasn’t interested in a rebuilder. Now we aren’t as far in the basement as them, so maybe he’d consider it, but not something I’d go for.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Then just as quick as it started Roslovic was traded (no surprise), Danforth, Kuraly, Chinakhov, Nylander, KJ and Boone were out. That doesn't even count D injuries. All the lines were disrupted and there were more Monsters in the lineup than Jackets. Whatever chemistry was developing was gone and the Jackets limped to the end of the season.

Thanks for chiming in - I didn't even realize they were hit with so many injuries.

That's actually somewhat encouraging to hear (in case they keep him). For what it's worth I think Vincent has a competent mind for hockey, but that's only part of being a good HC and perhaps not even the most important part.

I think I've said it before but for me the question is can Vincent grow into the job, or is he the coach the team can grow into a winner with.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
whats your opinion of Hakstol @majormajor?. I thought he was meh in Philly but didnt he get a decent amount out of a not so great Seattle lineup?

I thought he did a good job with what he had. But that team was kind of built to outwork and outskate opponents. Bjorkstrand, Gourde, etc... There wasn't any ambiguity about what they had to do, and for a while it worked. But the team really quit on him down the stretch and rumors came out that some players pushed for his ouster. Hakstol doesn't endear himself to people. I don't think he'd be a good fit for our players. We need a tough coach, but a coach with better people skills than Hak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad