Official 2024 IIHF World Championship Thread

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
GBs best result since the 1950s relative to the level of competition... though ofc the Belarus win was special.

Always makes me think where would we be were it not for the chaos in our national leagues (English+Scottish merger not working out and folding the league after a few years so had no hockey league for a few years!) etc in the early 1950s. They went from having pro ice hockey and being a top 5 team in the world in the late 40s and early 50s...

to withdrawing from Olympics, asking to drop down to what is now div 1... and then basically not participating in international ice hockey for 8 years, not having any leagues for a few years in the early 60s...

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
And here is Poland's first Elite goal in God knows how many years... Haha, f*** [:

Edit: @Fight4yourRight never thought I'd be so stressed over game vs POLAND. WHAT IS HAPPENING

Very entertaining game. Macias stood out for me a lot. Even had a chance to win in OT! Good game. If they play like this against France and Kazakhstan they may be able to avoid relegation and hopefully start drawing more and more youths to play and people back to supporting hockey in Poland.

Reactions: ellja3

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Very entertaining game. Macias stood out for me a lot. Even had a chance to win in OT! Good game. If they play like this against France and Kazakhstan they may be able to avoid relegation and hopefully start drawing more and more youths to play and people back to supporting hockey in Poland.

Agreed fully, but you had so many lucky bounces today, it might just run out. Not wishing that of course, just an observation!

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Agreed fully, but you had so many lucky bounces today, it might just run out. Not wishing that of course, just an observation!

That’s fine.. lucky bounces (or lack therof) are part of any game! Sometimes, you have to make lucky bounces happen, too. Like I said, the most important games for them were always going to be France and Kaz. And based off those teams’ game today, they are beatable.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
So ummm Great Britain you say

FB_IMG_1715547324236.jpg

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Latvia vs Kazakhstan today, we cannot afford to drop any points ANYMORE. I hate those who say win is a win and we have weaker roster this year, yeah fine, but losing points vs Poland AND France should not be acceptable either way. Saying, ''yeah but 2 wins'' is a true small county mentality.

Seems like the biggest issue for Latvia this year is PP and also depth players. Core players are doing nicely, but our depth is considerably weaker than that of last year's bronze team and it shows.

It's ridiculous we went to OT both games and both times were bailed out by Daugaviņš late heroics. There's even a joke floating around we should write in Latvian legislation it's forbidden for him to retire.

@Fight4yourRight big game for Poland today! Fingers crossed! Surely a win would mean FRA is out?

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Latvia vs Kazakhstan today, we cannot afford to drop any points ANYMORE. I hate those who say win is a win and we have weaker roster this year, yeah fine, but losing points vs Poland AND France should not be acceptable either way. Saying, ''yeah but 2 wins'' is a true small county mentality.

Seems like the biggest issue for Latvia this year is PP and also depth players. Core players are doing nicely, but our depth is considerably weaker than that of last year's bronze team and it shows.

It's ridiculous we went to OT both games and both times were bailed out by Daugaviņš late heroics. There's even a joke floating around we should write in Latvian legislation it's forbidden for him to retire.

@Fight4yourRight big game for Poland today! Fingers crossed! Surely a win would mean FRA is out?

Yup. A win against France and that is probably it. I can’t see France getting another 3 points the rest of the way.

How is Latvia looking against KAZ? I saw they were outshot in the 1st period.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Yup. A win against France and that is probably it. I can’t see France getting another 3 points the rest of the way.

How is Latvia looking against KAZ? I saw they were outshot in the 1st period.

We're 2:0 ahead after 2nd, but damn it did NOT come easy. Kazakhs did not punish us on numerous occasions.

If it ends like this, we need regulation win vs GER tomorrow to qualify. OT/SO win won't guarantee anything, because we lost the damn points vs FRA and POL.

Either way, I do not see us taking any points from USA/SWE/SVK, so even if we get into quarters it's CAN-LAT and game over.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Yeah, we're 3-0, but looking extremely unconvincing; the amount of turnovers is horrendous and we always try to walk the puck into empty net and good things only happen when we finally start crashing the net.

Edit: historically we are hilariously bad when it comes to deciding games vs GER, so tomorrow is not giving me any confidence

But now.. Go Polska!

Last edited:

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Yeah, we're 3-0, but looking extremely unconvincing; the amount of turnovers is horrendous and we always try to walk the puck into empty net and good things only happen when we finally start crashing the net.

Edit: historically we are hilariously bad when it comes to deciding games vs GER, so tomorrow is not giving me any confidence

But now.. Go Polska!

Looking brutal so far. One of France’s goal was so bad. Backhand and from a terrible angle.

Relegation, here we come!

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
GBs best result since the 1950s relative to the level of competition... though ofc the Belarus win was special.

Always makes me think where would we be were it not for the chaos in our national leagues (English+Scottish merger not working out and folding the league after a few years so had no hockey league for a few years!) etc in the early 1950s. They went from having pro ice hockey and being a top 5 team in the world in the late 40s and early 50s...

to withdrawing from Olympics, asking to drop down to what is now div 1... and then basically not participating in international ice hockey for 8 years, not having any leagues for a few years in the early 60s...
I've never been so proud of this team. Mainly for dropping a C bomb just before faceoff live on tv, but god damn. I just love these guys.

Best game since Ben Davies scoring the OT winner against France.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad