Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Could well be the case, and then we're probably screwed. Would be hilarious if he insisted on moving to a contender, nobody wanted him so he stays in Toronto, then becomes UFA next summer and finds that there isn't a single contender out there who is willing to meet his contract demands.

Dad, why is this happening What do I do now?

Him staying in Toronto is a good outcome it means the Leafs get to keep a great player and that's a good thing.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
They all dropped the ball. That was a likely set play and Pasta read the live boards and gunned it. He caught them sleeping on what they thought was a routine retrieval.

Marner Sammy Rielly and even Nylander. Marner should have scoped out what was going on around him and by that time he was blown past and the game was done.
Nylander is on his side of the ice if he collapses and it goes to the point for a goal he's the fall guy so I don't agree

Reactions: thewave

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Honeslty I really dont think he gets traded. For all the talk of wanting offense and needing offense, trading a young gifted offensive player doesn't make sense.

I can see Treliving focused on getting a coach that will absolutely make Mathews, Nylander and Marner play a different style in the playoffs though

I think its Tavares who goes instead

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Does anyone actually think Pasta's OT goal was Mitch Marner's fault?
Bruce Boudreau said it was Marners man 12:00 mark "he had way more speed than Marner, who was coming off the bench, and that was his man"

though I think Maurice said it wasnt necessarily Marners man.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Please stop responding to my messages with such stupid conclusions. It isnt even a good trolling attempt. He cannot be given away. He can be released and the Leafs are still on the hook for his contract. They could allow his contract to expire. They CANNOT give hime away, waive him or trade him without his consent.
Please stop responding to my posts (yes they're posts, not messages) without first taking a moment to think. When I said "give him away", that was obviously a theoretical example and I'm surprised you didn't get that but had you given it even a moments thought, I'm confident that you would have figured that out.

I'll put it another way to avoid confusing you - even if we traded Marner for a 7th round pick, considering how Marner tends to disappear when the going gets tough, just being able to spend that cap space in the UFA market would likely be enough to make us a better playoff team.

Him staying in Toronto is a good outcome it means the Leafs get to keep a great player and that's a good thing.
If Marner's so great, how come he disappears in big games in the playoffs?

Moving on from Marner is IMO a big first step in taking this team in a new direction, and building a team that can make some noise in the playoffs and that my friend, is what would be a good thing. Keeping Marner for another 7/8 years is a big first step in maintaining the status quo and that seems like a really bad idea considering how badly the last 7 years have sucked. Unless of course you value regular season results over playoffs, in that case sure keep Marner but me, I'd rather go deep in the playoffs.

Honeslty I really dont think he gets traded. For all the talk of wanting offense and needing offense, trading a young gifted offensive player doesn't make sense.

I can see Treliving focused on getting a coach that will absolutely make Mathews, Nylander and Marner play a different style in the playoffs though

It does if you want to win in the playoffs and the player in question is Marner.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Bruce Boudreau said it was Marners man 12:00 mark "he had way more speed than Marner, who was coming off the bench, and that was his man"

though I think Maurice said it wasnt necessarily Marners man.

Well that's essentially my take on the play as well.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Leafs have this year to be concerned about wrt the Cap.

I can see a raise being given. I'll laugh about it, I think he's been paid upfront, but it is ...

With the DDX4, they'll need some magic beans to sprout and the only shoots I can see which might just be forced into the line up are Grebyonkin, Cowan, Minten. Two of those can yo-yo, 1 is either junior or NHL, and he just pulled off a marner/McDavid in junior.

If they can get 3 ELSC players who can handle middle 6 roles ... the Cap issue will take care of itself.

Starting line up I expect to see Matthews, Nylander, Tavares and marner.
:banghead:

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019

You have seen marner in the playoffs right?

27 ain't young, this is him at his best, a 2nd line playoff performer like gaudreau and huberdeau

he isn't even good offensively in the playoffs, he has 3 total series worth anything.

Marner won't change his style, out of the three only nylander has changed his style from entry of the league. He goes to the net a ton more and scores much more because of that. Marner will continue his p***y style of offence from the blueline like he has for the past 5 years.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Please stop responding to my posts (yes they're posts, not messages) without first taking a moment to think. When I said "give him away", that was obviously a theoretical example and I'm surprised you didn't get that but had you given it even a moments thought, I'm confident that you would have figured that out.

I'll put it another way to avoid confusing you - even if we traded Marner for a 7th round pick, considering how Marner tends to disappear when the going gets tough, just being able to spend that cap space in the UFA market would likely be enough to make us a better playoff team.

Moving on from Marner is IMO a big first step in taking this team in a new direction, and building a team that can make some noise in the playoffs and that my friend, is what would be a good thing. Keeping Marner for another 7/8 years is a big first step in maintaining the status quo and that seems like a really bad idea considering how badly the last 7 years have sucked. Unless of course you value regular season results over playoffs, in that case sure keep Marner but me, I'd rather go deep in the playoffs.

It does if you want to win in the playoffs and the player in question is Marner.

It's got to make sense to move on from Marner, the return has to be real, not a bunch of magic beans you HOPE turn into another Marner

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You have seen marner in the playoffs right?

27 ain't young, this is him at his best, a 2nd line playoff performer like gaudreau and huberdeau

he isn't even good offensively in the playoffs, he has 3 total series worth anything.

Marner won't change his style, out of the three only nylander has changed his style from entry of the league. He goes to the net a ton more and scores much more because of that. Marner will continue his p***y style of offence from the blueline like he has for the past 5 years.
Yeah you'd have to be a completely over the top optimist to expect more from Marner after all these years just because you give him a new coach or whatever. A new coach, a new shrink, a new teammate who can somehow bring out the best in him (assuming there is more in there somewhere), a new haircut, a new pair of skates, a new mistress, we're basically throwing shit at the wall here hoping something will stick. Signing this guy to another long term deal hoping for a miracle to happen seems like insanity to me, a much more sensible approach is to throw in the towel and try something new.

It's got to make sense to move on from Marner, the return has to be real, not a bunch of magic beans you HOPE turn into another Marner
Here's the thing - it DOES make sense to move on from Marner, period.

Another Marner? LMAO please, anything but that.

As I said, just the cap space instead of Marner would be a win considering how badly he sucks in the playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So we could make the playoffs or just enjoy watching another Leaf strive for 100 points during the regular season
Maybe if we had players who strived for going deep in the playoffs as a team, instead of compiling individual stats, we'd actually go somewhere in the playoffs for a change. If I want to see individuals perform, I'll watch badminton.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Maybe if we had players who strived for going deep in the playoffs as a team, instead of compiling individual stats, we'd actually go somewhere in the playoffs for a change. If I want to see individuals perform, I'll watch badminton.
I think it wasn’t a lack of effort that held the team back, maybe bad decision making.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

A theoretical example of what? Being obtuse or dumb? In what universe could the Leafs give him away? What part of NMC don't you understand or refuse to acknowledge?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Zone entry is him and Matthews and then Nylander and Tavares on the blueline on entry, it isn't just him.

I don't feel like he touches the puck a notable amount more on the PP than anyone else, maybe I am mistaken though.

Our PP (and failure), seems more like a group effort than a single guy.

I don't know if the tougher competition is accurate, but the Pastrnak thing and the PP are. He is a part of the failure, but I think he is being targetted as the reason everything is going wrong, and I think he is a small reason, not the entire reason.
Our PP will always have problems as two of our main guys just doesn't even attempt on net.
And the net front guy is more a net side guy.

As for the Pastra goal. Need to give credits as it was well played and a great goal. However, I think it comes down to small habits, like bumping the guy next to you when he is breaking into the zone, communication on the ice among the players and just need to be more aware esp in OT of Game 7.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Our PP will always have problems as two of our main guys just doesn't even attempt on net.
And the net front guy is more a net side guy.

As for the Pastra goal. Need to give credits as it was well played and a great goal. However, I think it comes down to small habits, like bumping the guy next to you when he is breaking into the zone, communication on the ice among the players and just need to be more aware esp in OT of Game 7.

Marner got on the ice. Didn't look at his surroundings. Watched the puck going to the corner. Decided he was not into going in corners. Pasta said I will take that and Sammy basically should have been told to poke it. It was just Pasta no support. Morgan playing too far up.

Really pathetic way to lose tbh.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think it wasn’t a lack of effort that held the team back, maybe bad decision making.
Whatever the reason, it's clear by now that this is a good regular season team that turns into a pumpkin when the playoffs start. I know you don't care about playoff so you're fine with that, most of us are not.
A theoretical example of what? Being obtuse or dumb? In what universe could the Leafs give him away? What part of NMC don't you understand or refuse to acknowledge?
Really having trouble with this eh? OK I'll try one more time. The cap space we're spending on Marner could be better spent somewhere else. Therefore, we're better off trading him even if the return is next to nothing? Giving him away was a theoretical that was making that point.

Yes he has a NMC, therefore of course he has to agree to be moved. I think everyone knows this by now, including yourself so I didn't think it was necessary to mention it in the beginning of every post.

Is there anything else you need explained?

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Think so too, but it will be fascinating to see how much he prioritizes money on his next deal vs the chance to win.

For example - does he take less to join a Vegas, or does he take more and join a New Jersey or Carolina etc.
I think we all know the answer

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Whatever the reason, it's clear by now that this is a good regular season team that turns into a pumpkin when the playoffs start. I know you don't care about playoff so you're fine with that, most of us are not.

Really having trouble with this eh? OK I'll try one more time. The cap space we're spending on Marner could be better spent somewhere else. Therefore, we're better off trading him even if the return is next to nothing? Giving him away was a theoretical that was making that point.

Yes he has a NMC, therefore of course he has to agree to be moved. I think everyone knows this by now, including yourself so I didn't think it was necessary to mention it in the beginning of every post.

Is there anything else you need explained?
I wouldn’t say I don’t care, after all I do watch and do hope we win but yeah I care about the regular season more than most. I think we just were run poorly and coaches couldn’t adjust to situations and it appeared they just left it to the players. Funny but even during the regular season I remember reading several times”cmon zkeefe call a timeout. He probably had nothing to say so why bother. lol!

You certainly would know more than I, doNHL coaches influence the way the team plays or do they just leave it up to the guys and let them wing it. I think we were a wing it team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad