Player Discussion Marner Talk - Fresh, insightful comments are welcome

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Shipping him out might also send a message to the rest of the team.
This shouldn’t even be a discussion with management. This team (with the exception of Nylander who wasn’t there) didn’t even show up until game 5 of the playoffs. Game 5! Think about that. That alone should be enough to push the detonation button after 8 years.

That’s enough of this core and it shouldn’t be a matter of if, but when.
The coach is gone and Marner should be right behind him.

Get the best package you can (whatever it is) and retool. Next year send JT packing. Enough of him too. He’s oblivious to what’s going on.

There are UFAs like Geuntzel, Marrchesault, Debrusk to sign with 11 million.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
This shouldn’t even be a discussion with management. This team (with the exception of Nylander who wasn’t there) didn’t even show up until game 5 of the playoffs. Game 5! Think about that. That alone should be enough to push the detonation button after 8 years.

Get the best package you can (whatever it is) and retool. Next year send JT packing. Enough of him too. He’s oblivious to what’s going on.

Yeah, talk about spinning your wheels only to accomplish sweet FA. I'm looking forward to Tavares' deal coming off the books. Hopefully they're not stupid enough to bring him back, even at a much reduced price.

I don't really care what they fetch for Marner. Won't be a king's ransom, but that's fine. The Leafs won't be dealing from a position of strength, and any GM who's watched the playoffs knows what to expect from him.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm not absolving the core of the blame - but there's plenty of blame to go around. The types of goals that I mentioned, were also goals that Swayman just wasn't giving up in the series. That makes a huge difference in such a tight series. It's also why Samsonov won't be getting re-upped here.
It's the problem a few have, they are only capable of blaming one thing, when there are many reasons for a loss of a game or series.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Moot point. We probably win in 6 if Nylander shows up on time and Matthews doesn't order the new england clam chowder., Boston is getting exposed in round 2.
That has to be one of the stupidest comments yet, shows up on time? The guy can't see out of his eyes are you okay?

Marner's criticism is getting a bit much but I think you're overcorrecting here to make up for it
It's really not but he really is hahahaha

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Still think so ?

Scare me.
Given the Leafs history, I would have to say yes Marner is coming back and he'll probably even get an extension. The only reason to believe otherwise is Tre and he's only been here a year and he saw what happened to Dubas when he went against Shanahan. So it seems almost inevitable to me. And if/when it happens people on this board will try to convince you its not the end of the world. And they'll be right. It will just be the end of the Matthews led Leafs era.

Reactions: Kazparov

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Price for Lindholm rising thanks to his playoff performance. Hoping Tre can convince him to be our #2C.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I'm not absolving the core of the blame - but there's plenty of blame to go around. The types of goals that I mentioned, were also goals that Swayman just wasn't giving up in the series. That makes a huge difference in such a tight series. It's also why Samsonov won't be getting re-upped here.
Fair enough.

Reactions: Tak7

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Ultimately the core 4 sucking isn't exactly surprising. Outside of Nylander no one really got better. Tavares declined faster than expected. Marner was a 90 point player when he signed his contract and was a 90 point player when he stunk up the playoffs the last 5 years. Matthews improved in the regular season, but is not more than a good player in the postseason. He can't self create so it's tough.
Him and willy open up the ice for each other just too bad marners glued to his hip

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
His game will NEVER work on the current roster in the playoffs. Ever. He could make another team better - BUT NOT the LEAFS.

He has no future here.

Face facts.

Change is needed. Marner is gone. Time to negotiate. Ferris could destroy his mentally weak client if this drags on into October. The kid can’t handle the pressure.

There is no retool without trading Marner. It has to happen.
Well in my reality things are not so concrete when dealing with people but, more fluid.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
You’d do well working for corporate.

Change is needed. Moving on from Marner is what is required as the start.

Start.
I have done OK working there in the past.

Change will happen. Marnier is the master of his destiny with his NMC. I don't think Mitch is the linch-pin of all that is wrong with the Leafs in the Play-offs.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I don't think Mitch is the linch-pin of all that is wrong with the Leafs in the Play-offs.
He’s not.

It’s just he’s the contract that has to go to change the team enough to help the Leafs.

Marner could bring Lord Stanley to New Jersey. He’s just not the guy for the Leafs.

Reactions: myleafs

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
He knows he has this issue didn't take any meaningless games off and was unprepared to show up on time for the playoffs. It probably cost us the series. Take your "stupidest" remarks and shove them up your ass.
Internet tough guy it's soo much easier to just own it that sounded dumb

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
I think it would be interesting to do a statistical analysis.

What we know
Mitch is primarily a playmaker.
His production in the play-offs drops significantly.
The Leafs offence drops in the play-offs as well.

What I would like to see
If Mitch's production drops more than the Leafs as a team (I suspect it does but, how much)?

Shanny would throw Marner under the bus to save himself. That could be an option for him.
I'm thinking there is no-one left he wouldn't throw under the bus in an effort to save himself at this point.

Reactions: socko

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
So what is the actual story then?
Buddy you literally think Willy skipped taking his migraine meds and somehow hoodwinked the medical staff into having him in concussion protocol too, all in some elaborate plan to miss playoff games that he allegedly didn't wanna play. And he's had zero history of missing any playoff games. Do you realize how batshit absurd this would be?

Come back with a bit more logical of an assessment and maybe a conversation can be had.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
He’s not.

It’s just he’s the contract that has to go to change the team enough to help the Leafs.

Marner could bring Lord Stanley to New Jersey. He’s just not the guy for the Leafs.
That's more possible.

I see your point. I don't share it, but i see it.

Still two major hurdles to that plan though...

Reactions: myleafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad