OT: Kubalik Speech - Czech to English translation?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I don’t think Detroit is as bad as the reputation it gets. My only gripe was that the city felt empty most of the weekend until early afternoon. That and the park area across from the Atlas statue was pretty dumpy.

But I agree with everyone else here. The players aren’t living in the City. I wonder if the Chicago or LA players live in their cities.
There are some very nice safe areas in the city, in fact, I grew up in a neighborhood called Edison Park, perhaps the safest area in the entire state. That's not an NHL player neighborhood (although my dad did see Lady Gaga at Tony's Deli in Edison Park when she was dating the Chicago Fire TV show guy and I think they were living in Park Ridge, an adjacent suburb) it's a cop, fireman, and city worker neighborhood. There's also some pretty incredible places near the lake they do live at. I live near the lake, but it's got a small level of sketchiness to it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
SAYS THE GUY WHO MANAGED TO GET STABBED THREE TIMES :laugh:

1689283300236.png

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
My son lives in Ottawa so we visit there once or twice a year. It is a beautifull city. Miles of green space. I’ve heard it said that it is so spread out it is bigger than the areas of Calgary, Winnipeg, and Vancouver combined. Not sure if that’s true but lots of farm land within its limits

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
In the mid to late '70's, if you wanted to see underground punk/metal bands or check out some cool art galleries, or pretty much anything off the beaten track, you had to go to some of the "undesirable" areas of the city. You weren't gonna see Black Flag unless you could get to Bookie's. Once you did that a few times, it became no big deal.

Now, with downtown being somewhat revitalized and safer than it was, it's a piece of cake. Went to the Grey Ghost for dinner a couple of weeks ago and caught a show afterwards. I don't do it as much as I used to, but I still love it occasionally.

Reactions: RabidBadger

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I was in town for my cousin's wedding a couple months ago. He got married at the rehabbed Garden Theater/event space right on Woodward in Midtown. It was pretty cool seeing how nice that area is now, since 10-15 years ago it was.... different. My only regret is not making it to Lafayette afterward (had to drive a couple older family members home, they weren't up for hanging out until 2am I guess lol).

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I don’t think Detroit is as bad as the reputation it gets. My only gripe was that the city felt empty most of the weekend until early afternoon. That and the park area across from the Atlas statue was pretty dumpy.

But I agree with everyone else here. The players aren’t living in the City. I wonder if the Chicago or LA players live in their cities.

Around their Cup years I know almost all of the Kings players lived southwest of downtown LA at the beach. Hermosa and Manhattan beach mostly. I think it was close to their practice facility but must've been a bit of a hike to the arena for games.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
On the 90's roster it was common to see players living in the Bloomfield, Birmingham area. Surrounded by multimillion dollar homes, private schools, and able to pick up Woodward to downtown in about 30 min. If there are any players are living in Detroit it's in the pockets that don't really represent what people think of as Detroit like Indian Village. I have to think many of the players making NHL money have multiple homes in various locations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad