How'd the Panthers finally get their act together as a franchise?

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Trocheck seemed to change after “making it”, getting recognition and becoming an all star. Seemed like it went to his head a bit.
He went from fighting his way through fouls against him and playing harder because of them to a guy who would turn to the ref and whine about no call.
Anyone remember Trochek's last year with us? Dude kept trying to do everything himself but half the time wouldn't even complete the neutral zone entry. And if he did he'd give it away in the Ozone or get a low quality shot on net. Man, that was frustrating.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Anyone remember Trochek's last year with us? Dude kept trying to do everything himself but half the time wouldn't even complete the neutral zone entry. And if he did he'd give it away in the Ozone or get a low quality shot on net. Man, that was frustrating.
He refused to use his wingers on entries which resulted in far too many turnovers and one and done opportunities

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
The complete Franchise looks great, we had different Phase and so many bigger and smaller mistakes made after the 3-5 years where the Draft picks was huge.
But the developing and maximum reaching of the upcoming youth was immense.
The Tallon Era was give the Franchise youth and hope, promising 2010 Era a lot of Talents picked the wrong ones. Also the developing of the Players was not that good.
Then we had the Huberdeau and Barkov first Year Era, with great additions. Maybe the only thing the "Computer Boys" Era did really good. March, Smith addition gived the Team and Franchise the first real big push.
Another set back while giving all those better players away for nothing, Tallon Era the 2nd "I dont give a f***" another set back.

Since the new Ownership, a steady process on the GM part, a steady Coach who fit in the Team, Player in their Prime Time better addition also steady addition over Years.
Quenville and Maurice are a big part of this sucess, they brought out the best of the Players they had. Same you could say about Gallant first Years and with those Years we had sucess and attracted new Players.

So without any Setbacks this Franchise made a insane process, also some drafts and adding in this Franchise was okay.
But still a big drop rate, but its hard to set a foot in, in a Veteran Group. But not much going on, on the Prospect Pool made into the Team.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I do appreciate Tallon that 11/12 offseason for going all out. We almost got into the second round. It was a breath of fresh air at the time and badly needed. After that, I think he got too fixated on his draft picks.

Yup. His downfall was overpaying for former Chicago talent and thinking his prospects/picks were untouchable/guaranteed to hit.
A lot of rumored trades were supposedly killed due to him not wanting to move guys. IIRC Adam Mascherin was the holdup for a Mcdonagh trade before he went to the Lightning.
Adam never signed with us and went back into the draft.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Yup. His downfall was overpaying for former Chicago talent and thinking his prospects/picks were untouchable/guaranteed to hit.
A lot of rumored trades were supposedly killed due to him not wanting to move guys. IIRC Adam Mascherin was the holdup for a Mcdonagh trade before he went to the Lightning.
Adam never signed with us and went back into the draft.
I thought it was borgstrom he wouldn’t trade in that potential deal. Either way, your point is spot on. It took Zito coming in to take FL any further

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

"The Panthers have a .675 point percentage — meaning they’ve collected slightly more than two of every three possible points — in the Zito era; among every general manager in NHL history with at least 250 games on the job, only one has a better record. Sam Pollock’s point percentage was .685 in his 14 seasons with the Montreal Canadiens. Nobody else has a better record than Zito does."

That is crazy! Zito is HIM!

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I thought it was borgstrom he wouldn’t trade in that potential deal. Either way, your point is spot on. It took Zito coming in to take FL any further

Or maybe both. Just remember there was a snag on Ryan coming here and it was a "top prospect(s)" at the time.
Understand not wanting to empty the cupboard but it's not like either guy was a can't miss bluechipper. Adding Ryan would of been huge for the blueline back then.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

"The Panthers have a .675 point percentage — meaning they’ve collected slightly more than two of every three possible points — in the Zito era; among every general manager in NHL history with at least 250 games on the job, only one has a better record. Sam Pollock’s point percentage was .685 in his 14 seasons with the Montreal Canadiens. Nobody else has a better record than Zito does."

And Zito didn't have Jean Beliveau, Guy LaFleur, Henri Richard, Larry Robinson, Steve Shutt, Guy Lapointe, Ken Dryden, Jacques Lemaire, Bob Rainey, Serge Savard.

Reactions: VIMMM and Panteras

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

Great article.

Reactions: KW

Last Rat Standing

May 26, 2016
South Florida
Tickets for Saturday against Tampa are starting at $86. For comparison, I bought $100 for 4 Tickets in 2012 against New Jersey. That is how far we've come. The team is finally starting to turn a profit.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I remember when Q was brought in he met with the boys at the end of the 2018-19 regular season. He told them this time next year we’ll be stepping on the ice for playoff practice. I remember being fired up about that. And he wasn’t lying.

Reactions: VIMMM

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I remember when Q was brought in he met with the boys at the end of the 2018-19 regular season. He told them this time next year we’ll be stepping on the ice for playoff practice. I remember being fired up about that. And he wasn’t lying.
But he did lie.

Playoff practice didnt happen till August and we were a play-in team :sarcasm::laugh:

Reactions: Ghoste

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
But he did lie.

Playoff practice didnt happen till August and we were a play-in team :sarcasm::laugh:

I believe we likely would've missed the playoffs that year if it wasn't for Covid. Obviously there's no way to know for sure, but we looked like the typical "almost there but not quite" Panthers team yet again and 3 points out by the time the season was suspended.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad