How do you fix the Wings?

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
How 'bout a Holl to fill that hole? Eh?
He doesn't play top 4, right?
I think he's one of those guys that you could include to get value closer, but pretty sure he's neg value.
Markstrom @ 50%, Pachal, 2024 3rd (I think we'll have 3 of them)
15th, Holl

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
He doesn't play top 4, right?
I think he's one of those guys that you could include to get value closer, but pretty sure he's neg value.
Markstrom @ 50%, Pachal, 2024 3rd (I think we'll have 3 of them)
15th, Holl
I mean... he did until he came to Detroit. Maybe his top 4 play is restricted to Canadian franchises?

Maatta - Mo
Ed - XXXX (let's hope for Roy here)
Chiarot - AlJo/Petry
Has something happened to Walman that i don't know about?

Big fan of Roy, but signing him longterm means that Walman would prob be gone after his deal is up. By that time ASP should be in the occasion. That'd be 3 righties then. Depending on how ASP performs he will warrant a sizable second contract. Maybe with the cap rising, this will all fit and fall into place. I just don't wanna get into a situation in which we have to move out one of the kids cuz ee committed a lot of money to an FA.

Short term: We should not worry so much about leftie/rightie. Put the best together. Maatta and Aljo are better than Petry. And if that results in 5 lefties in the lineup, cuz most of the righties suck, so be it. Order #1: GET ED AWAY FROM PETRY.

Walman - Mo
Ed - Roy (Chiarot)
Chiarot (Maatta) - Aljo

Kiss Cam: Holl, Petry

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Hey guys. I think the Flames & Wings are good dance partners this offseason. You guys have a couple studs to sign and a few less desirable contracts, as well as a need to upgrade your goalie

Doubt the Flames keep Markstrom, and they have the ability to take on 1 or 2 bad contracts. We also have a few wingers that you guys could use that will be UFA after next year in Mangi, Kuz & Sharon

So, what would it take to get #15 off you guys for Markstrom?
Careful now friend - last time I suggested a trade w/Calgary I was nearly kicked off Red Wing Island...Tough crowd in here :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Reading this board makes me wonder, why do we want Walman and Maatta out so much. Those two have some trading value, so? Holl clearly has confidence issue , no wonder , came from Toronto. This team has too many defensive liability like Kane, Raymond, Debrincat, Fabbri, Sprong and Berggren. Couple of those guys should be gone before season starts . Fischer and Perron should be with team , for right price of course.

I'm fine with both Walman and Maatta. Honestly I think Walman's absence was a bigger loss than people realize.

Reactions: Realgud and lilidk
Hey guys. I think the Flames & Wings are good dance partners this offseason. You guys have a couple studs to sign and a few less desirable contracts, as well as a need to upgrade your goalie

Doubt the Flames keep Markstrom, and they have the ability to take on 1 or 2 bad contracts. We also have a few wingers that you guys could use that will be UFA after next year in Mangi, Kuz & Sharon

So, what would it take to get #15 off you guys for Markstrom?
Markstrom was lights out last yr. But the problem with him is his age and that he'd be a stopgap till our 2 prospects are ready. And our team is a serious contender in 2 years EARLIEST. Prob later. I'd move #15 for him if the timeline lined up better. But I don't see it, dude. So the price is too much for a guy that backstops us while we are a first rd out at best. We are just bot there yet to give up assets for short term fixes.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Has something happened to Walman that i don't know about?

Big fan of Roy, but signing him longterm means that Walman would prob be gone after his deal is up. By that time ASP should be in the occasion. That'd be 3 righties then. Depending on how ASP performs he will warrant a sizable second contract. Maybe with the cap rising, this will all fit and fall into place. I just don't wanna get into a situation in which we have to move out one of the kids cuz ee committed a lot of money to an FA.

Short term: We should not worry so much about leftie/rightie. Put the best together. Maatta and Aljo are better than Petry. And if that results in 5 lefties in the lineup, cuz most of the righties suck, so be it. Order #1: GET ED AWAY FROM PETRY.

Walman - Mo
Ed - Roy (Chiarot)
Chiarot (Maatta) - Aljo

Kiss Cam: Holl, Petry
Maybe? Coach was all weird about Walman towards the end of the season.

Finding LDs is much easier than finding RDs. If we can solidify RD then just plug and play LD.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Based on what?

Maatta was pretty bad with the puck this season, pinched in at weird times, and took shots that were easily blocked. I liked the way he played the previous season much more. He's also kinda slow.

Not saying Chiarot's puck decisions are great by any means, but Maatta was def worse.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Maatta was pretty bad with the puck this season, pinched in at weird times, and took shots that were easily blocked. I liked the way he played the previous season much more. He's also kinda slow.

Not saying Chiarot's puck decisions are great by any means, but Maatta was def worse.
Maatta had a bad 2023, suspect his pneumonia may have played a part, but his 2022 and 2024 was better than anything Chiarot has done with the Wings. Quality of competition considered. Basically Chiarot has been overutilized and Maatta has been underutilized.

I don't want either player making any decisions with the puck, so to me that's largely irrelevant. Maatta plays within his abilities far more than Chiarot does. Less is more.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Maatta had a bad 2023, suspect his pneumonia may have played a part, but his 2022 and 2024 was better than anything Chiarot has done with the Wings. Quality of competition considered. Basically Chiarot has been overutilized and Maatta has been underutilized.

I don't want either player making any decisions with the puck, so to me that's largely irrelevant. Maatta plays within his abilities far more than Chiarot does. Less is more.

Quite honestly, I'd rather just give Ed and Walman more TOI and not talk about either of them.

We're basically arguing about which one sucks less, lol.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Quite honestly, I'd rather just give Ed and Walman more TOI and not talk about either of them.

We're basically arguing about which one sucks less, lol.
I'm operating under the guise of who should be our 3rd pairing LD. That's gotta go to someone. I trust Maatta more. I'm done with the "X is hurt, guess it's Chiarot on the top pairing again" default coaching decision.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004

oh yeah, to be clear I can live with Maatta as a #6 guy (getting less than 16 minutes TOI) because he's already under contract for the upcoming season.

But Chiarot is head and shoulders above Maatta. He was playing more and harder minutes and mostly looked good. If they reduce his minutes then he should look even better. Last season he led the team in even strength TOI.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I mean, pretty sure the vast majority of this board has various grievances with player utilization by our coaching staff. Leading the Wings in ES TOI is nothing Chiarot should ever be doing. Maatta's TOI got tanked because he was the resident babysitter for the collection of RD misfits we rolled out most of the year.

Olli has the ability to stabilize a pairing. Chiarot needs to be stabilized.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I mean, pretty sure the vast majority of this board has various grievances with player utilization by our coaching staff. Leading the Wings in ES TOI is nothing Chiarot should ever be doing. Maatta's TOI got tanked because he was the resident babysitter for the collection of RD misfits we rolled out most of the year.

Olli has the ability to stabilize a pairing. Chiarot needs to be stabilized.
Chiarot needs to get more chances to push guys away from the net and onto their kiesters. I like that Chiarot.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Chiarot needs to get more chances to push guys away from the net and onto their kiesters. I like that Chiarot.
Hopefully Ed puts on some muscle like Raymond did because right now it's Seider and Chiarot who are the only ones effective at clearing the crease.

Ed looked good overall but whenever he tried to lean into a guy they went nowhere.

Reactions: Sadekuuro

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Based on their play this season. Chiarot was simply a better player, and he didn't play as many sheltered minutes as Maatta either.
Weird, that's how I got Maatta ahead. Chiarot saw a significant decrease in the quality of competition from last season and subsequently looked like less of a trainwreck. Well done. Maatta got stapled to Ghost to keep him respectable and did remarkably well given the assignment. Take a peek at how well the Chiarot - Ghost pairing did this year the little bit it was together... Not great.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Chiarot is the exact type of player you want on a playoff team. He’s not afraid to throw around his weight and plays a mean game.

People here like to use him as the scapegoat for all defensive flaws this team has. Chiarot serves best as a 4/5 in a shutdown role.

If the roster is ass and has him playing top 2 minutes, that’s not the players fault. Blame poor coaching/roster management.

Thought he was also one of the better players on the team through the last month of the season. Prone for 1-2 bad plays a game, but even with that being said, thought he brought a lot more positives than negatives.

Reactions: dalem177

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
People here like to use him as the scapegoat for all defensive flaws this team has. Chiarot serves best as a 4/5 in a shutdown role.
The problem is that he thinks he's Bobby Freakin Orr. As NorrisNick pointed out, he also has a tendency to chase the play like Bowey sometimes.

He played much better than he did the first season, if he could pull his head out of his ass a little more next season, he might be tolerable. Same with Maatta, they both just need to play a safer game.

Who's better? I dunno, do you get a prize for being the smartest kid in special ed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad