Hawks, Bulls, & Sox new channel is Chicago Sports Network (CHSN)

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Yeah, less than $1 per game.
Except you're paying for twelve months so it's $240 dollars to watch one baseball team if you don't cancel. Ala carte programming was the dream. If every network wants twenty bucks a month cable is better and stealing cable is too easy to not do. Like I'm trying to be a good person but if I'm already paying ESPN I shouldn't have to pay them twice to watch the Blackhawks.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
If you make it .50 a game or something, for the season. I'm giving you 81 dollars for the season. You get a ton of subscribers at that number and make your money. You start to f*** me and stealing it sounds way better and I'll give you nothing.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
You can watch almost every NHL game for $70. For the year. I pay that. I pay for Cable. It's like $80 a month. Ton of channels I don't ever watch. Fine with it. I'm not paying ESPN twice to watch games on ESPN because it's on ESPN+.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Clever title. /s

So we are in agreement that CHSN is pronounced "chosen," right? As in, "We have been chosen to pay more on our cable bills."

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Wow. free over the air? Great for the locals. Makes sense. Wonder if these companies know they are losing the battle on pirating and would rather know the true numbers so they get better advertising deals?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
What will happen if games overlap?

They better have alternative channel option like CSN Chicago did

As of right now I am waiting for the other shoe to drop to find out who gets screwed over because I refuse to believe they will actually have a free over the air platform available to masses and wont charge people $ for their new streaming service (Which is what this is even if they are trying to pretend its not)

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
What will happen if games overlap?

They better have alternative channel option like CSN Chicago did

As of right now I am waiting for the other shoe to drop to find out who gets screwed over because I refuse to believe they will actually have a free over the air platform available to masses and wont charge people $ for their new streaming service (Which is what this is even if they are trying to pretend its not)
Of course you jump right to the negatives. You don't think they'll have something for overflow? C'mon man...

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Of course you jump right to the negatives. You don't think they'll have something for overflow? C'mon man...

Maybe this will be great. But the trend of the past couple decades has been that assuming that an entertainment product will get worse just to pad owner pockets is a safe bet.

Expect crap, and be pleasantly surprised if not crap. Good advice for this channel or a new streaming platform or the continued enshittification of existing things or continued mergers just jacking up prices and lowering quality standards.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I get NHL Center Ice for which I pay a fee to Bell Fibre and get access to all games beibg okayedctgat day or night in the regular seasonon for all NHL teams playing that date.I pay via my condo fees $45 cdn+ tax for by Prefered Building bundle of Canadian and American channels and includes Crave (which has movies and series shows +HBO ,HBO Max and Starz ) ...I pay extra if I want other streaming formats like Netflix or Amazon Prime streaming their content ...or pay extra for Sports packages like NHL Center Ice...when I was with Rogers Cable which had their own bundles a of channels mixed ,I paid extra to get the entertainment and sports special bundles...I both case I paid or now pay extra for NHL Cebter Ice...Rogers cable charged ne monthly for that amortizing the cost over 12 months ...Bell charges the entire cost of NHL Center Ice over just 2 moths from the start of tge NHL regularsesson.

The total cost I think came to around $220 cdn (with tax) covert that to Anerican by taking 1/4 off that amount..

Now tgevthobgvis I mostly watch just tge Hawjscganes on NHL Cebter Ice ...but you pay for and get All the games on tgecschrduke...though it may come as a Blackhawks broadcast or from the opponent broadcaster and THAT is not always determined by home games broadcasts ...mostly itbis butcsonetomes you get the visitor broadcast..the NHL must keep track on how they distribute this to each watching fanbase over a season to even out what broadcasts you get.

There must be a similar package offered by theNHL to cable or streaming bundle service providers forcthevU S Market.

The downside is you pay tobgetcalk the ganescthat night even if you only want to watch the Hawks games. .this you in a sense are forced to over pay for some games you do not want and do not watch.

Still a majority of the 82Hawks games (In Canada NHL Center Ice does nit show a Hawks gane ...however or away if that game is shown by a Canadian sports network = Sportsnet or TSN (orRDS in French,in which case you still can watch the Hawks play those games on the Canadian channels which come with the Bell Fibre bundle anyway ( actually with Bell a Montreal -Hawks game on RDS you pay extra to get the RDS channel ..not much but I will not pay for thatc1 chanel el to maybexl watch 1 Hawks game season that is not shown in Canadacin Center Ice or on eitger Sportsnet or TSN..

So in total I think I get I think 80 or 81Hawks games with such coverage .

So approx $165 u.s. ÷80 ...so watch a Hawjs game for a bit over $2 u.s a game = cheap..

Now you may have different blackout rules in the United.s. and maybe Hawks abd since you may get tge games on nbc sports chucago anyway...you eoukd not want a duplication or a pay for nothing gvsituation with an NHL Cebter Uce type package unless you wanted to watch gamescof other NHL teams playing opponents that night who were not the Hawjs.

So I do not know of such a package put together by the NHL has any advantage to you fans I Chicago.

I imagine this new network (for tge Hawks gamesxonly) would parcel off thise games to out of the Chicago market subscribers to tge Centralized NHL Cebter Ice bundlecwhich wiukd then get to me in Ottawa via my subscription to tgat service. EACH NHL club would get its share of the total revenue Coming from the subscription..

So tge Hawks still get their fair share of the revenue from out of Chicago market fans paying to watch tgevteam's games via Center Ice ..but alm tfat chagescis that Nbcsoort Chicago will not be broadcasting and distributing it to NHL Cebter Ice but now the new network will do the broadcasts and distribute these to NHL Cebter Ice ..
So nothing really changes that much for me . I still will watch Hawks games for quite a cheap cost and I also can watch almost ever games of all NHL teams by paying this cheap price.
I do not knowchoevmuch they will charge to watch the games streamed though the new app forcthe local Chicago Market. But it also probably will be cheap.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I get NHL Center Ice for which I pay a fee to Bell Fibre and get access to all games beibg okayedctgat day or night in the regular seasonon for all NHL teams playing that date.I pay via my condo fees $45 cdn+ tax for by Prefered Building bundle of Canadian and American channels and includes Crave (which has movies and series shows +HBO ,HBO Max and Starz ) ...I pay extra if I want other streaming formats like Netflix or Amazon Prime streaming their content ...or pay extra for Sports packages like NHL Center Ice...when I was with Rogers Cable which had their own bundles a of channels mixed ,I paid extra to get the entertainment and sports special bundles...I both case I paid or now pay extra for NHL Cebter Ice...Rogers cable charged ne monthly for that amortizing the cost over 12 months ...Bell charges the entire cost of NHL Center Ice over just 2 moths from the start of tge NHL regularsesson.

The total cost I think came to around $220 cdn (with tax) covert that to Anerican by taking 1/4 off that amount..

Now tgevthobgvis I mostly watch just tge Hawjscganes on NHL Cebter Ice ...but you pay for and get All the games on tgecschrduke...though it may come as a Blackhawks broadcast or from the opponent broadcaster and THAT is not always determined by home games broadcasts ...mostly itbis butcsonetomes you get the visitor broadcast..the NHL must keep track on how they distribute this to each watching fanbase over a season to even out what broadcasts you get.

There must be a similar package offered by theNHL to cable or streaming bundle service providers forcthevU S Market.

The downside is you pay tobgetcalk the ganescthat night even if you only want to watch the Hawks games. .this you in a sense are forced to over pay for some games you do not want and do not watch.

Still a majority of the 82Hawks games (In Canada NHL Center Ice does nit show a Hawks gane ...however or away if that game is shown by a Canadian sports network = Sportsnet or TSN (orRDS in French,in which case you still can watch the Hawks play those games on the Canadian channels which come with the Bell Fibre bundle anyway ( actually with Bell a Montreal -Hawks game on RDS you pay extra to get the RDS channel ..not much but I will not pay for thatc1 chanel el to maybexl watch 1 Hawks game season that is not shown in Canadacin Center Ice or on eitger Sportsnet or TSN..

So in total I think I get I think 80 or 81Hawks games with such coverage .

So approx $165 u.s. ÷80 ...so watch a Hawjs game for a bit over $2 u.s a game = cheap..

Now you may have different blackout rules in the United.s. and maybe Hawks abd since you may get tge games on nbc sports chucago anyway...you eoukd not want a duplication or a pay for nothing gvsituation with an NHL Cebter Uce type package unless you wanted to watch gamescof other NHL teams playing opponents that night who were not the Hawjs.

So I do not know of such a package put together by the NHL has any advantage to you fans I Chicago.

I imagine this new network (for tge Hawks gamesxonly) would parcel off thise games to out of the Chicago market subscribers to tge Centralized NHL Cebter Ice bundlecwhich wiukd then get to me in Ottawa via my subscription to tgat service. EACH NHL club would get its share of the total revenue Coming from the subscription..

So tge Hawks still get their fair share of the revenue from out of Chicago market fans paying to watch tgevteam's games via Center Ice ..but alm tfat chagescis that Nbcsoort Chicago will not be broadcasting and distributing it to NHL Cebter Ice but now the new network will do the broadcasts and distribute these to NHL Cebter Ice ..
So nothing really changes that much for me . I still will watch Hawks games for quite a cheap cost and I also can watch almost ever games of all NHL teams by paying this cheap price.
I do not knowchoevmuch they will charge to watch the games streamed though the new app forcthe local Chicago Market. But it also probably will be cheap.
Fiddy if you're paying $220 for center ice you're being taken for a ride. I paid $70.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad