Rumor: Habs interested in Maxim Tsyplakov (upd: signed with the Islanders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Do all the work you want, it doesn't mean his KHL play translates to the NHL. Chris Wideman was the top D in the KHL then signed with the Habs.
And he had a higher goals per game than Kuzmenko who came over and scored 39 goals in his first NHL season.

Reactions: cphabs

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
And he had a higher goals per game than Kuzmenko who came over and scored 39 goals in his first NHL season.
Means nothing, each player is different. I am not saying he wouldn't pan out, what I am saying is that it is unlikely that he moves the needle for the team

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Means nothing, each player is different. I am not saying he wouldn't pan out, what I am saying is that it is unlikely that he moves the needle for the team
Okay but he’d be free to acquire, so what’s the issue in adding him? This team’s bottom 6 is atrocious.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Okay but he’d be free to acquire, so what’s the issue in adding him? This team’s bottom 6 is atrocious.
If he acquires him I will cheer for him and hope he helps the team. All I have been saying that rarely to these types of KHL signings pan out. This is the same league where Reid Boucher scored 44 goals.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I mean to be fair looking at his team mates it's a bunch of guys who couldn't crack the NHL. Most notably Goldobin who scored more goals and doubled his point totals and had really struggled in the KHL until this year. Was their division trash this year or something?

Reactions: Tyson

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I mean to be fair looking at his team mates it's a bunch of guys who couldn't crack the NHL. Most notably Goldobin who scored more goals and doubled his point totals and had really struggled in the KHL until this year. Was their division trash this year or something?

That can be said about almost any team outside of the NHL......

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Or maybe this is adding another bad vet...
Not as bad as the nicknames this forum would assign to him.

It’s not as if Tsyplakov can’t do much better than the bottom 6 turds we have now.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Do all the work you want, it doesn't mean his KHL play translates to the NHL. Chris Wideman was the top D in the KHL then signed with the Habs.
What I'm saying is that work is determining whether he can come over the the NHL and be effective. Your scrutiny is understandable, but I don't see why Hughes would be interested unless they're thinking that he can translate. Wideman is completely irrelevant.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
If he acquires him I will cheer for him and hope he helps the team. All I have been saying that rarely to these types of KHL signings pan out. This is the same league where Reid Boucher scored 44 goals.
Buddy was going to be a star...

Reactions: bopeep

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

To be fair to Wideman, he did put up 27 pts in 64 GP his first year with Habs, which is a pace of 35 pts in 82.

He was also brought over at like 32 years old. Whereas Tsyplakov is 25, so he still has room to grow.

Now, I don't expect him to come over and score 30 in the NHL. In fact, I don't exoect him to even score 20. But if he's a third liner and scores 12-15 goals, that's pretty good for a guy coming over to NA for the first time.

I think it's worth a shot, especially considering it will be a 1-year ELC. It's not like they'll sign him for 3 years at $2M.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
I would prefer to trade for Pavol Regenda.
24, late-bloomer, already has NA experience, he uses his big body. He is RFA with Ducks. Ducks will try to resign him, wonder what would be the cost to acquire him. Late round pick?

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Shoots upwards of 20% in a blip year that doesn't correlate with any other season previously? No thanks. Sounds like another Sekac at best.

Reactions: Tyson

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
To be fair to Wideman, he did put up 27 pts in 64 GP his first year with Habs, which is a pace of 35 pts in 82.

He was also brought over at like 32 years old. Whereas Tsyplakov is 25, so he still has room to grow.

Now, I don't expect him to come over and score 30 in the NHL. In fact, I don't exoect him to even score 20. But if he's a third liner and scores 12-15 goals, that's pretty good for a guy coming over to NA for the first time.

I think it's worth a shot, especially considering it will be a 1-year ELC. It's not like they'll sign him for 3 years at $2M.
You'll be content if he scores fewer goals than our present 3rd liners?

Gallagher 16 goals
Armia: 17 goals

So that means 4th line. What about the player (Zegras, Necas, PLD) HuGo are going to trade for? I don't think they're looking at him as a 3rd liner. He's there to replace Ylonen or Pezzetta or RHP and add some size to the 4th line. Either that or they are putting the final touches to a trade that will send away Gallagher/Armia/Anderson.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Shoots upwards of 20% in a blip year that doesn't correlate with any other season previously? No thanks. Sounds like another Sekac at best.

And if he's not and is actually improving?

He costs a contract slot and an ELC for one year. Why would anyone be actually opposed to this, even if all he becomes is another Sekac?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I would prefer to trade for Pavol Regenda.
24, late-bloomer, already has NA experience, he uses his big body. He is RFA with Ducks. Ducks will try to resign him, wonder what would be the cost to acquire him. Late round pick?
Interesting choice.

People acting like signing the Russian will block someone. Like when? Ylonen who has a chance and did nothing with it. Heineman who isn't really improving ? Owen Beck, who's a solid prospect but highly unlikely he's NHL ready for a long-term stay.

Sign him. If he's terrible 10 games, you send him down and if he wants to leave at the end of the year, so be it. If he sucks in the A you scratch him.which likely leads to a mutual termination and Molson lost some money and that's it.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
And if he's not and is actually improving?

He costs a contract slot and an ELC for one year. Why would anyone be actually opposed to this, even if all he becomes is another Sekac?

Look at his numbers from previous seasons. This isn't a 21 year old who played sheltered minutes coming out of junior. No on sustains a shooting percentage of 19.9%.

The opposition would be that, at least in my case, is he really any better than Roy? Doesn't Roy deserve the chance? I'd rather give the time to one of our own or a Dach-like player we might acquire with the draft capital we have.

I'm not interesting in a bidding war for an unknown that results in a contract we can't bury either. Save the contract space for a likely plug when we get rid of more of the ones we already have.

Outside of the opposition, it's about how these guys from the KHL that have amazing years get their tires pumped and promoted as the next great thing or a savior when they're more likely to struggle on NHL ice, at NHL pace, and be little more than plugs.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Not as bad as the nicknames this forum would assign to him.

It’s not as if Tsyplakov can’t do much better than the bottom 6 turds we have now.
To be fair, the third line did actually pick it up and looked good. Armia and Gallagher did turn things around. And Evan’s is not a turd despite the lack of offence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad