G Yaroslav Askarov (2020, 11th, NSH) - PART 2

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He's also a part of the reason why the team is so good.
I definitely disagree with that. His season has been very up and down. There's not enough consistency in his game. He should really start working on his positioning.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I see both arguments. I did watch him play and he does look scrambley still at times, but I think there is a degree to which he is always going to play with his athleticism and instinct vs the robotic positional tenders that are more common place. I still hope there is a way he can capture both, because that is the real potential in him.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I see both arguments. I did watch him play and he does look scrambley still at times, but I think there is a degree to which he is always going to play with his athleticism and instinct vs the robotic positional tenders that are more common place. I still hope there is a way he can capture both, because that is the real potential in him.
I understand what you're trying to say and I know it's sometimes working for him but that's just not enough. Being mobile and athletic is no excuse for repeatedly losing your net, for poor positioning. Playing goalie in the NHL is difficult enough even with good positioning. He'll still get a lot of opportunities to show off his athleticism. There's no excuse not to work on positioning. He's gonna have to do it if he wants to become an NHL goalie. He's still young and he can get there but he has to put in the work. Did he realize it yet? I'm not sure. Hopefully, him losing his gig to friggen Grosenick during playoffs was the wakeup call he needed.

On the plus side, he still has time. Waiver exempt until 2026. I'm frustrated now but if there's improvement during next season then I'm gonna like his chances.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad