Flint Firebirds 2023 - 24 Off-Season Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Very quick. Zurawski is the quickest to commit.

Martin was decently quick, May 9th.
K. Pitre was June 7th.
Bertucci was June 18th.
Hayes was April 27th.
Othmann June 17th.
Vierling June 5th.
Keppen May 31st.
Dellandrea May 26th.
You guys also probably had your orientation camp later last year. Would play a part in that.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Watching the London-Saginaw series I cannot believe Flint managed to play 4 mostly close games with the Knights. Such a complete squad with such good puck movement and great goaltending. Especially considering Flint’s OA’s were virtually non-existent for most of the series. I’m not 100% sold on Flache yet but I don’t have much to complain about as far as coaching so far. Just a little. He got a lot out of his returning players in the back half of the season.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Samenas signs a tender to play in NAHL. Opens a spot for Import draft.
He should be force in the NAHL next year as a 20yo. There’s no way he was returning to Flint. I’m not sure Slavicek is of the level that he justifies both an OA and Import spot either. He’d have shifts and periods where I’d say “Yeah, roll with him as an OA” then he’d just be invisible for 3-4 games. If he’s on the roster to start the year he’s basically locked in all year, handicapping their ability to upgrade there because as an OA/Import he’ll be basically untradeable. I think he has the ability to prove he’s worth it but it’s a big gamble.

Two down.

Well if Saginaw is gonna be in the Final it’s nice to see that it’s because Ethan Hay is having a career night. Congrats kid.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
For any Flint fans curious to what they're getting

Evan Konyen: Will never wow you or pull you out of your seat but works extremely hard, takes an absolute beating to make plays, and is an underrated pest. Has a nose for the net and is a legit top 6 forward.

Matthew Mania: A bit of an enigma, hot and cold, and had some injury problems this year. When he's on his game he's a great offensive d-man who can carry the puck and bring fans out of their seat, sometimes for good reasons, sometimes for bad reasons. Overall has a ton of upside.

Nolan Collins: Big physical d-man with some underrated offensive upside. Has stagnated a bit in his development over the last few years, when he's on his game, he has the potential to be one of the premier shutdown d-men in the OHL, however it always seems like he's 5 games away from an injury or 5 games into recovering from an injury.

Joshua Colosimo: From what I remember in camp, an extremely physical forward with some real nastiness to his game.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
If Blake Smith is back.

Mania - Collins
Bertucci - Smith
Solid top 4.

Fellinger & Jenken as the bottom pair maybe?

Mason Taylor/Jack D'Arcy

Not upset at all with the D.

They still got a good handful of picks to play with as well.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
If Blake Smith is back.

Mania - Collins
Bertucci - Smith
Solid top 4.

Fellinger & Jenken as the bottom pair maybe?

Mason Taylor/Jack D'Arcy

Not upset at all with the D.

They still got a good handful of picks to play with as well.
Getting the rights to Colosimo should go a long way toward getting our 4th rnd pick Christian Colosimo signed being brothers and all. Anyone who saw Christian in the prospects game a few weeks ago knows why we need to get him signed.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think he saw Saginaws success and is trying to recreate it. 16 picks out in 1 day for 0 guys that will be in Flint June 2026…

Did I miss your guys announcement of hosting the memorial next year or something?
Have you noticed the rosters and/or the disposable assets of the other west division teams going into the 2024-25 season? Flint might not have a clearer path to a 2 seed again any time soon.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I think he saw Saginaws success and is trying to recreate it. 16 picks out in 1 day for 0 guys that will be in Flint June 2026…

Did I miss your guys announcement of hosting the memorial next year or something?
They added 4 Good players, possibly a 5th player.

Gave up 16 picks, but still have 6 3rds to play with, 5 4ths, and 6 5ths, along with 1 more 2nd and the 2028 2nd they gave up is conditional, assuming it hinges on an OA year.

I'm guessing they aren't done adding more.

Is Flint being Niagara this season.
No, I don't see London fleecing us in every deal.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
They added 4 Good players, possibly a 5th player.

Gave up 16 picks, but still have 6 3rds to play with, 5 4ths, and 6 5ths, along with 1 more 2nd and the 2028 2nd they gave up is conditional, assuming it hinges on an OA year.

I'm guessing they aren't done adding more.

No, I don't see London fleecing us in every deal.
Definitely not done if you have that much. Worst case scenario you’re really good this year, next year you’ll probably still have Thibodeau and some other guys you can trade away.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I question spending that many picks without getting a sure fire star player, but I agree with what Dirty said. The west Division is gonna be rather bad. Sarnia & Windsor might battle for 2nd & neither team is gonna be legitimately good. Soo rebuilding & SAG returns some good players but likely sell, too.

So it's wide open for Flint. These with other moves will ensure getting a top 2 seed. Gotta keep adding to the F group to be a legit contender but T4 looks strong & now have some depth up front. If Day takes a step you're in a good spot.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
LW​
C​
RW
Connor Clattenburg - 05 - 60 GP - 29 PKaden Pitre 06 - 35 GP - 30 PEvan Konyen *04* - 55 GP - 48 P
Nathan Aspinall 06 - 65 GP - 34 PJimmy Lombardi 07 - 62 GP - 20 PChristopher Thibodeau 05 - 68 GP 60 P
Matthew Wang 05 - 61 GP - 11 PGage Brandon - 08 Rookie - 3rd roundAlex Kostov 06 - 66 GP - 26 P
Jeremy Martin 07 - 64 GP - 14 PMax Anderson - 07 - 18 GP - 0 PCole Zurawski - 08 Rookie - 1st round
Ryland Cunningham - 08 - Rookie - 2nd round
LDGRD
Tristan Bertucci 05 - 61 GP - 44 P Nathan Day 05Matthew Mania 05 - 45 GP - 23 P
Blake Smith *04* - 65 GP - 13 P Jacob Brown 06Nolan Collins *04* - 65 GP - 26 P
Mason Taylor 06 - 3 GP - 0 P Rylan Fellinger 07 - 58 GP - 4 P
Matthew Jenken 05 - 68 P - 18 P
Jack D'Arcy 07 - 4 GP - 0 P

Lots of right handed defenders now, wondering in Jenken gets moved for something. Fellinger was very solid last year, and only expect him to take bigger strides.

Want list-
1/2 C to pair with Pitre, who just hasn't stayed healthy. Love Lombardi, but don't want to put that much pressure on him too early.

LD - Maybe flip a pick and Jenken for a LD
LW - Maybe. I expect big things from Aspinall, Clattenburg was solid, Martin has a knack for scoring some goals.

Need Nathan Day to take big steps this year.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I can see bringing in a 1LW at the deadline. Would Zurawski be made available if you could get someone like Greentree?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad