Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 5 - YOU BET WE'RE ALIVE!!!!!! Game 6 FRIDAY 7 PM at TD Garden

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

▪ It was a tense 2-3 minutes on the Bruins’ bench when Charlie McAvoy’s goal, the eventual game-winner, went to review for goalie interference.

“My thoughts were, make sure you send the right message to the bench no matter what happens,” said Montgomery, asked what he was thinking during the review. “It’s, ‘Hey, we’ve got to get one on the power play, let’s just keep playing next play, next shift.’ It hasn’t been going our way. It was nice that one did.”

“Not good things,” said Coyle, asked what was running through his mind during the review. “You never know what’s going to happen and you just try to, on the bench, say that whatever happens here, we’re scoring again. And doing it the right way. You can’t dwell on anything. You just have to have the right mind-set if it goes our way, great, and if not, we’re still coming. We had to have that mind-set to overcome anything, be relentless, and no one’s going to stop.”

▪ The Panthers were caught for diving (technically, it is embellishing) when Morgan Geekie put a light cross-check on Anton Lundell late in the first period. Lundell went down like Sonny Liston. Geekie was whistled off for a cross-check, initially looking like the Bruins would have to kill a penalty, but the ref took oof Lundell for the fake job.

An animated Montgomery could be seen behind the bench later making an exaggerated diving motion when the Panthers were not whistled for another embellishment at 12:24 of the second. Bruins defenseman Mason Lohrei instead was sent to the box for hooking Eetu Luostarinen, who took a pratfall when tapped with Lohrei’s stick.

“I just think in the league, in general, embellishment is going up,” said Montgomery. “Players are getting better and better at grabbing their heads, snapping their heads back, getting hooked and going with the hook and jumping back. When I was growing up, [Philadelphia’s] Billy Barber was known the best for it and drew a lot of penalties because of it. It makes it hard on the refs because you don’t know if a guy was really high-sticked or was just trying to get a call.”
Have agreed for a long time and hope the league does something offseason at their meeting.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

▪ It was a tense 2-3 minutes on the Bruins’ bench when Charlie McAvoy’s goal, the eventual game-winner, went to review for goalie interference.

“My thoughts were, make sure you send the right message to the bench no matter what happens,” said Montgomery, asked what he was thinking during the review. “It’s, ‘Hey, we’ve got to get one on the power play, let’s just keep playing next play, next shift.’ It hasn’t been going our way. It was nice that one did.”

“Not good things,” said Coyle, asked what was running through his mind during the review. “You never know what’s going to happen and you just try to, on the bench, say that whatever happens here, we’re scoring again. And doing it the right way. You can’t dwell on anything. You just have to have the right mind-set if it goes our way, great, and if not, we’re still coming. We had to have that mind-set to overcome anything, be relentless, and no one’s going to stop.”

▪ The Panthers were caught for diving (technically, it is embellishing) when Morgan Geekie put a light cross-check on Anton Lundell late in the first period. Lundell went down like Sonny Liston. Geekie was whistled off for a cross-check, initially looking like the Bruins would have to kill a penalty, but the ref took oof Lundell for the fake job.

An animated Montgomery could be seen behind the bench later making an exaggerated diving motion when the Panthers were not whistled for another embellishment at 12:24 of the second. Bruins defenseman Mason Lohrei instead was sent to the box for hooking Eetu Luostarinen, who took a pratfall when tapped with Lohrei’s stick.

“I just think in the league, in general, embellishment is going up,” said Montgomery. “Players are getting better and better at grabbing their heads, snapping their heads back, getting hooked and going with the hook and jumping back. When I was growing up, [Philadelphia’s] Billy Barber was known the best for it and drew a lot of penalties because of it. It makes it hard on the refs because you don’t know if a guy was really high-sticked or was just trying to get a call.”
Billy Barber. What a great player and Robin to Bobby Clarke’s Batman but yup he was notorious flopper

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Good sign Florida diving so much - sign of being rattled

If it’s gets to 7 and a Bruins up in third you know this is when Tkachuk baited Lauko game 7 and dropped like shot - PP Florida and Reinhart scored

Tkachuk set up Lauko and it was a killer

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Wait, someone said Maroon played WELL?

He was AWFUL. Someone show his advanced stat graph, dying to see it.

He killed as many offensive plays as you'll see a Bruin kill. I HATED his game. Lauko wasn't much better.

I really loved the 4th when it was Brazeau with Beecher/Boqvist. But I get why we need Brazeau further up the lineup.

Maroon is so slow. There were several times that he lost his man when the puck was going back the other way. He just can’t keep up

Reactions: bobbyorr04

Drift

Jan 9, 2012

I wouldn’t have called it a penalty but I also don’t think it’s a dive. Lohrei and Montours skates collide right before the “penalty” and mountor is unbalanced and on one skate right before he goes down.

Bah not as bad as I remember but still IMO a dive or a nothing play. I guess sobering up does that lol.

Reactions: UncleRico

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Florida players likely have pools - they got diving in their heads

Team might be worse then Habs 2010-2016 version

Surprised I thought they were tough

Maurice teams have been known for this going back to whalers

goflyakite

Apr 29, 2011
Ontario
NHL seemed to “fix” the Bennett GI with the Heinen non call.

As a fan I’ll take it but it just speaks to the overall issue with how the league runs things imo.

Doubt the bruins can win 2 more games playing the same way but at least we are guaranteed 1 more game to watch
Idk he was more interfered with by his own player hooking the stick out of his hands.

The first period showed absolutely no signs of make up calls for the Bruins after the circus of game 3 and 4.

Even with a dominant first period yesterday, the calls/missed calls still heavily favoured the Panthers, and in the end the penalties were still 2 to 1 just like the rest of the series.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Idk he was more interfered with by his own player hooking the stick out of his hands.

The first period showed absolutely no signs of make up calls for the Bruins after the circus of game 3 and 4.

Even with a dominant first period yesterday, the calls/missed calls still heavily favoured the Panthers, and in the end the penalties were still 2 to 1 just like the rest of the series.
Imagine an NHL where the day before the game the refs working it say they will be looking at Latrine and Lundell for dives and McAvoy for stick work. Might totally end
the diving.

troubbble

Apr 25, 2024
Somebody quoted Joe Sacco as saying "we can't play scared." That's the entire answer to our problems in a nutshell. I don't know what it will take for this team to finish out the series playing three consecutive periods of confident, disciplined hockey, but if they can banish the anxiety once and for all and just play the game like we know they're capable of playing it, I think they can still win this series.

Last night they came out strong in the first period and unfortunately, I thought they reverted back into panic mode as the game wore on. Thankfully, and mostly due to Swayman being an absolute rock, they were able to hang on to the one goal lead and get the W.

Next game they absolutely MUST be firing on all cylinders and playing to win for sixty minutes. I really hope they do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad