OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Seis

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Berhalter is now 1-7-6 against top 20 FIFA teams not named Mexico in his six years as coach. He’s a joke and so is the USSF for sticking with him. If they don’t make it to the semis in Copa America he should be shitcanned before the final whistle of the tournament blows.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Berhalter is now 1-7-6 against top 20 FIFA teams not named Mexico in his six years as coach. He’s a joke and so is the USSF for sticking with him. If they don’t make it to the semis in Copa America he should be shitcanned before the final whistle of the tournament blows.
I’m open to change, but only if we can get a reputable European….no promoting some MLS guy or a dude already on the staff.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
If they don’t make it to the semis in Copa America he should be shitcanned before the final whistle of the tournament blows.
Assuming they get out of their group, which they should, they then get either Brazil or Colombia in the quarters so I don’t understand your expectation/demand that they make it to the semis?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Assuming they get out of their group, which they should, they then get either Brazil or Colombia in the quarters so I don’t understand your expectation/demand that they make it to the semis?
ABro does not like Berhalter. He’s not alone. He’s just more vocal about it.

Berhalter was a lazy pick by a new group of management that is squandering this opportunity.

Period End

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
My expectation is that he’s six years into this and they should be much closer than they are in playing with some of these countries. He needs to show that they are making progress heading into 2026. So yes, I think he should have to show that he’s deserving of taking this team through another Cup cycle when he’s done less with more than any of the recent managers. He did nothing to deserve the job so he needs a feather in his cap to repay their faith in him and to show the fans that he’s not useless.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
My expectation is that he’s six years into this and they should be much closer than they are in playing with some of these countries. He needs to show that they are making progress heading into 2026. So yes, I think he should have to show that he’s deserving of taking this team through another Cup cycle when he’s done less with more than any of the recent managers. He did nothing to deserve the job so he needs a feather in his cap to repay their faith in him and to show the fans that he’s not useless.
So your demand isn’t based on a realistic assessment of their chances of beating Brazil in the quarters, their most likely opponent. It is just totality of the circumstances thing? I get it to a point but absolutely believe you are vastly overrating the quality of the players at his disposal when deciding where you think they should be at this point. But you and I have disagreed on this for a while so nothing new here.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Berhalter was a lazy pick by a new group of management that is squandering this opportunity.
I don’t really think it was a lazy pick because they took so long to make it. Under the circumstances I think there was a reasonable chance he was the best option. Marsch is a pretty terrible manager IMO and nobody else within US Soccer or MLS was even worth mentioning.

I don’t see this as some really coveted position so this idea that the best managers in the world are going to be pining for it makes no sense to me. I guess you could target someone with the idea that you are going to offer them so much money they literally couldn’t refuse but I don’t think US Soccer has that kind of money and even if it worked the next day they’d have to pay Hayes the same thing.

I don’t disagree that if they are going to take a step to the next level it will likely have to be with someone else. But for the life of me I have no idea who that realistically could be.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So your demand isn’t based on a realistic assessment of their chances of beating Brazil in the quarters, their most likely opponent. It is just totality of the circumstances thing? I get it to a point but absolutely believe you are vastly overrating the quality of the players at his disposal when deciding where you think they should be at this point. But you and I have disagreed on this for a while so nothing new here.
For me it’s more of, Gregg has underwhelmed with the crop of players at his disposal throughout his tenure and needs to overachieve in this tournament to show he’s earned another bite at the apple in 2026. There’s no WCQ in 2026 since they’re a host and due to the new WC format so this is really their last crucible in a competitive setting. I want him to give us something — anything — to show there’s a plan for how to play against teams not in CONCACAF.

And hey, the USMNT beat Spain in the Confederations Cup and lost to Brazil in the final of that tournament, so it’s not unheard of for them to at least be competitive against top countries. I can dream, at least!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Don't host nations typically overachieve as underdogs?

If GB survives to the WC, and that happens, he'll never go away.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
anyone got historical USMNT HC stats? I think Berhalter is average at best, but he can't be the worst.

Per chat gpt:

1718191933108.png

Reactions: John Price

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad